Tesla Gigafactories, News and Conversation

2,462 posts in this topic

55 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

Look at cars from the past 20 years... more and more aluminium is used. Aluminium can't be fixed like steel. To bend back aluminium you need high temperatures, that damage the paint and require repainting the part. I had a 3cm dent on my Mercedes hood and Mercedes said it would not fix it, it would sell me a new one. An independent garage fixed it for 1800€.

I would regard the increased use of aluminium  as a positive, it is both lighter than steel and far more corrosion resistant, it won't rust away! The repair of most dents and scratches on  cars cannot be done by bending whether steel or aluminium either the part has to be replaced (for a perfect repair) or filled and resprayed (repair is usually detectable which may reduce resale value).

1 hour ago, keith2011 said:

I would regard the increased use of aluminium  as a positive, it is both lighter than steel and far more corrosion resistant, it won't rust away! The repair of most dents and scratches on  cars cannot be done by bending whether steel or aluminium either the part has to be replaced (for a perfect repair) or filled and resprayed (repair is usually detectable which may reduce resale value).

Talking about scratches,   there was another case where a very small scratch in a fender (probably less than 15 cms) was quoted something crazy like $7000 to repair.  The reason (read excuse), the blend of the paint and the technique needed to paint the new fender need several sprays if you want the color to match.

And here I thought that if you only make cars in one, two or three colors it would be much easier to replace parts.

Or course the token fanboi will come and say that's totally acceptable.  And that a Lackdoctor repair for $150 is not a valid alternative.

3 hours ago, Krieg said:

was quoted something crazy like $7000 to repair.

even you agree the "quote" was crazy, yet you quote it.

2 hours ago, catjones said:

China’s EVs Force Foreign Auto Makers to Catch Up

Only Tesla has convinced Chinese consumers that its offerings can match the local competition

Tesla - OK

VW and others - Not so much

https://www.wsj.com/articles/chinas-evs-force-foreign-auto-makers-to-catch-up-11626434957?mod=hp_lista_pos1

Woohoo yet another reason for you and MM to celebrate and closer to the day the only EVs on the road are Teslas.

I think that´s bad news because unlike you and MM I believe if we want an end to the ICE engine it is only going to be achieved by having many and varied EVs from different companies.

1 hour ago, Keleth said:

Woohoo yet another reason for you and MM to celebrate and closer to the day the only EVs on the road are Teslas.

I think that´s bad news because unlike you and MM I believe if we want an end to the ICE engine it is only going to be achieved by having many and varied EVs from different companies.

It's best to read the article before criticizing.  If you did, you'd see it actually takes your position.  Now, it just makes your comment foolish.

16 minutes ago, catjones said:

It's best to read the article before criticizing.  If you did, you'd see it actually takes your position.  Now, it just makes your comment foolish.

I wasn`t criticising the article,I was criticising you and MM because this is the sort of thing that gives you wet dreams.

World domination by Tesla.

7 minutes ago, Keleth said:

your fixation is becoming a perversion.  my TSLA connection is purely financial. 

it used to be: "as GM goes, so goes the world".  That was back in your good old days of world domination.

3 minutes ago, catjones said:

your fixation is becoming a perversion.  my TSLA connection is purely financial. 

Worse than MMs,at least he has a bit of environmental concerns behind his infatuation.

8 minutes ago, catjones said:

That was back in your good old days of world domination.

I`ll ignore this bit because I haven´t a clue what your getting at.

10 minutes ago, catjones said:

it used to be: "as GM goes, so goes the world".  That was back in your good old days of world domination.

Keleth dominated the world? A Gillingham supporter?❤️😂

1 hour ago, Keleth said:
2 hours ago, catjones said:

That was back in your good old days of world domination.

I`ll ignore this bit because I haven´t a clue what your getting at.

Let me help you.  You had opined "World domination by Tesla."  I was merely pointing out that not long ago, GM dominated the auto world.  Maybe you complained back then too, but in every industry there's a dominant player.  It's nothing new.  If TSLA takes that title, it's because they earned it.  It wasn't given to them.  People vote with their dollars, euros, yuans....

10 hours ago, fraufruit said:

So how much would full warranty insurance cost each year for a new S Plaid?

I'm paying 1500€ for a 55k€ Tesla with Allianz. 6 years without accidends (SF6?). Double that for the Plaid, I guess.

Bear in mind I got a good quote because I have a lot of insurances with Allianz. Otherwise I think it would be around 1800€.

One other point I did not mention is that supposedly Teslas crash less... because of autopilot and other safety measures. I can't tell if that is true, as Tesla does not disclose all details, but I'm sure insurance costs will drop considerably as more automated driving is added.

2 hours ago, Keleth said:

I wasn`t criticising the article,I was criticising you and MM because this is the sort of thing that gives you wet dreams.

It's a disruption process. The rest of the world would be stuck with ICE for the next 30 years, if Tesla went bust 10 years ago.

Now it's the fun part, everyone either trying to catch up or trying to delay EV age. It's a typical rooting for the underdog and seeing it thriving.

Cherry on top, it will be the most important step towards emission control.

Hi Lovely TTers

I have a few questions regarding Tesla. I have a Mini Country man from 2012, manual, petrol which I am planning to sell and was looking to buy some SUV live BMWX1 or Audi-Q3.

Both me and my wife drive and during the week we mostly drive to Kinder Garten, Office, Groceris or eating out.

Approximately we drive 12000-15000 kms in a year.

I was checking offers on Carwow and Tesla Model 3 looks quite interesting price-wise. I have never driven an EV before. So probably I will take a Test drive next week. Are there any pros and cons of Tesla?

1. For e.g. Laptops and mobiles batteries loose capacity and power after few years. I believe the same will happen to Tesla's battery also? Do we change them after few years and how much will it cost or we just replace the car in some exchange offer and get a new model?

2. Is insurance expensive for EV like Tesla or it is the other way round?

3. I live in an apartment with underground duplex parking. I am not sure if Charging Infra could be setup in such a shared parking? I will check with Tesla guys.

4. Does Tesla have fast charging like 20mins for 90% battery? I don't mind spending 30 mins for charging in a week at a charging station nearby. I can go for a walk.

5. Is the running cost of EV like Tesla lesser than Petrol cars? How much it will cost say to charge Model 3 with 450+ km range at a petrol station or the charging station on streets?

6. Is it better to look at other EVs like VW  or Audi or BMW. I believe, the later 2 will be expensive than Tesla mode 3

7. Is it better to go for Hybrid or do we have enough Infrastructure in Europe for EV. for e.g. Sometimes during summers we drive to Croatia, Slovenia, Prague, Italy etc. etc.

8. Any other points to consider? Is model3 good enough to start with and safe enough with Kids. For e.g. I know BMW cars like X3 and all are very sturdy and safe. Is Tesla equally good in terms of safety?

9. How is the service of Tesla? Is it expensive? Traditional cars needs changing of Oil and so many other stuff. Not sure what they do with Tesla Service?

10. Does a new Tesla also have warranty like 3 or 5 years ? Is TUV also like traditional cars every 2 years?

Sorry for long post or asking too many questions at one go :D

Thanks!!

Why do I get the feeling that some questions could be answered with a SEARCH instead of asking others?

yes I am doing the search, but just thought of checking with Tesla owners especially, there feedback :)

7 hours ago, catjones said:

Let me help you.  You had opined "World domination by Tesla."  I was merely pointing out that not long ago, GM dominated the auto world.  Maybe you complained back then too, but in every industry there's a dominant player.  It's nothing new.  If TSLA takes that title, it's because they earned it.  It wasn't given to them.  People vote with their dollars, euros, yuans...

Oh I have no problem with their being a dominant player but do have a problem with there being an only player.

6 hours ago, catjones said:

Why do I get the feeling that some questions could be answered with a SEARCH instead of asking others?

Yer what an idiot eh,asking people who seemingly know all about Tesla for their advice on Teslas.