Tesla Gigafactories, News and Conversation

2,313 posts in this topic

The government will keep pushing up petrol prices and other costs for ICE cars until people switch, people in thend, will have to deceide whether they want the better solution, ICE cars ( but cause damage to the planet ) or the cheaper battery cars

I had a Model 3 Performance loaner for 1 week. 0-100km/h in 3.2s. To me it was too much, tunnel vision, pain in the face, dizziness. 

I'm quite happy with mine doing 4.5s.

I can't even imagine what 2.0 is...

You get used to strain your muscles when you are about to hit the gas. Otherwise your head will violently smash against the headrest. I mean violently.

But of course you can tell your passengers to lay the head on the headrest beforehand. You feel the Gs, but no banging.

This is on my 4.5s car. On the 3.2s your face will hurt if you do it a few times in an hour. And I can't imagine 2.0s!

Remember that on a normal rollercoaster (not the extreme ones) the peak Gs are only for a second or less, and they gradually increase and decrease. 

With a Tesla, it's an instant punch, plus relentless acceleration for several seconds. Going 0-200kmh is quite an experience.

I'm tempted to unlock part of the extra acceleration for my car. Maybe in a few years the excitement wears off and I pay to go down to 3.9s.

I was referring to the 2.0's. I've had neck surgery. Would probably injure me. But, when all I said and done, who pushes the pedal to the floor when accelerating? That was just a test.

19 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

who pushes the pedal to the floor when accelerating?

If I'm paying $150k, I'm putting pedal to the metal.

How many vids are out there with Lamborghini's being driven out of control?  The car is way too much for the driver...and then, Plaid comes along.

That crunching sound you hear is the imposition of physics.

"German court rejects injunction against Tesla factory permits in Germany"

BERLIN (Reuters) - A court in Germany rejected on Tuesday an injunction brought by two environmental groups against provisional building permits issued by the state of Brandenburg for Tesla’s planned factory in Gruenheide near Berlin. 

The testing of equipment, which is time-limited, may continue by Tesla, ruled the court in Frankfurt an der Oder

Vroom, vroom, or rather, whoosh, whoosh ;) 

6 hours ago, catjones said:

How many vids are out there with Lamborghini's being driven out of control?  The car is way too much for the driver...and then, Plaid comes along.

That crunching sound you hear is the imposition of physics.

I can tell you it's really hard to lose control on a dual motor Tesla... the engines react much faster than a petrol engine, therefore, they compensate for your blunders.

The only time I lost grip (on purpose) was during a test with a clear space, soaking wet road, and I did from stop a 90º turn while pushing the pedal hard. The car lost the grip for a fraction of a second, but I never lost control.

On a tri motor, this is even more impressive.

7 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

I can tell you it's really hard to lose control

That's the intrusion of a false sense of security.  It just means the goalpost is further and the bar is higher.  You push it harder than ICE because you can and then you can't.  F1 drivers and cars are pretty impressive and they miscalculate all the time....and they're pros.  Don't let a master of control go to your head...or foot.

I completely agree, I learned to drive in a crappy car. I could feel it slowly losing control on curves. Then I moved to a better car and that feeling is gone. It makes the curve fine, until it doesn't. You don't get a warning you are about to lose control.

But once I wanted to see how hard I could push it, in controlled situation, so I know my safety margin. And it's huge!

I have tried to spin out in an empty snow-covered parking lot in a dual-motor Model 3 and it was impossible.  I didn't bother trying to set slip-start.  Maybe with a running start it would have worked. 

"Tesla Delivers Record-Setting 201,250 Cars In Q2"

Tesla has just released its Q2 2021 production and delivery report, so the numbers are now in. See how Tesla fared this quarter right here.

At 201,250 global deliveries of the Model Y, Model 3, Model S and Model X combined, Tesla beat expectations. The target numbers ranged from about 193,000 to 200,000, so Tesla came out on the high side of those expectations.

Additionally, Tesla once again set an all-time record for deliveries by easily beating the previous high mark of 184,800 set in Q1 2021. 

For Q2 2021, Tesla lists Model 3/Y deliveries at 199,360. Meanwhile, the combined Model S and Model X deliveries hit just 1,890.

On the production front, the combined figure for production of all Tesla vehicles hit 206,421 in Q2 2021. The breakdown shows that the Model 3/Y accounted for 204,081 of those deliveries, leaving the Model S/X at 2,340.

https://insideevs.com/news/516922/tesla-q2-2021-deliveries/

WTF? they put a PLASTIC part under the car and made it not replaceable?  That's embarrassing.