Tesla Gigafactories, News and Conversation

2,019 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Janx Spirit said:

Yeah, but noticeably all non-Teslas... the competition is still a joke regarding charging infrastructure. But they will hopefully catch up.

While Tesla has the best charging network, without a doubt, its good when you what a to drive long distances on the motorways. But there are many many places that would be hard if not imposable to reach, without long dtours or using other slower charging point.

For example I, Last September I went for a short Break to Lake Garda, and decided to come back through the Mountains, which I do a lot as I like the seanary - its one of the things that keeps me in Munich, I can just go out for a 10 hours, up and down Mountains, just looking around the whole time.

Anyway on the way back, I decided to drive back on a couple of my favorite roads, So from Lake Garda up to the Gava pass, then over the Stilsajoch  down pass Landeck, up to imst, and back to Garmish 

Google said this was the best route

Capture.JPG.8853f287576ef97846ca6bf88f98

Now I then, looked at the supercharge network 

Capture.JPG.ca2371c09b3724036871dabe356b

I think it would be difficult to do that run in a Tesla, because, its a mountain route, which always cost a lot more energy, than the straight motorway, even with regen brakes.

I would have to significantly alter my route to get a charge before Garmisch, with d-tours of 50Km each way 

And thats just the problem, even the best Supercharging networks, still means you either have to take the direct route where the superchargers are or have long d-tours, which you do not want to drive.

I have watched quite a few u tube video's of people complaining that even with a massive Tesla supercharging network, there are still places in America you cannot drive to, even using a slow charger. 

Ok, I know not everyone wants to take the long seanic route, and many passengers I have had, just want Garda to Munich in 4 hours, but I like exploring many difficult to get to places and at the moment it can be done with petrol and diesel cars, but EV just do not do it at the moment.

As said, Tesla expands the network the more cars are sold, but until more cars are sold Tesla does not spend much on expanding the network, a classic chick and egg situation.

For the most people the Supercharger network is great and good enough, but it will struggle with some of the trips I sometimes make, horses for courses

I am not an EV hater, just someone who wants to drive where I want, that's not always convent for where the current supercharger network is.

23 hours ago, yesterday said:

I think it would be difficult to do that run in a Tesla, because, its a mountain route, which always cost a lot more energy, than the straight motorway, even with regen brakes.

Lol, actually quite the opposite. That's a myth hard to die. Mountain routes are BETTER for Evs than for normal cars. They charge on the way down and have much more torque than ICE.

BTW, that path is easily done with a Tesla (Model 3 AWD). You don't even need to charge. Look here:

https://abetterrouteplanner.com/?plan_uuid=8f5e95cf-a023-4cd6-953f-bb425485e31e

4 hours ago, Janx Spirit said:

here I want, that's not always convent for where the current supercharger network is.

When I look at your route it gives me this picture 

Capture.JPG.99440bff8c25bfa96dfc6384b8ab

Which you can see is very different to the route I want to take to get the seanary I like - its missed out the Gave pass and the stilfser joch altogether  - cannot see why anybody would want that route

and seems to to be doubling back on its self -  - cannot see why anybody would take that route and its longer than the route I want too take.

If I add Edolo (after Sirmnone ) as a waypoint to force it to go the way I want then, it will not calculate the route at all, maybe because it thinks it does not have the range to do that route ???

but thanks anyway

Cannot believe how bad the Tesla Navi is 

4 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

Lol, actually quite the opposite. That's a myth hard to die. Mountain routes are BETTER for Evs than for normal cars. They charge on the way down and have much more torque than ICE.

BTW, that path is easily done with a Tesla (Model 3 AWD). You don't even need to charge. Look here:

https://abetterrouteplanner.com/?plan_uuid=8f5e95cf-a023-4cd6-953f-bb425485e31e

This route also misses out the Gave pass and the stilfser joch altogether 

When I try to force it, by asking it to go via ponte dell alpe and santa caterina (2 towns on the Gava pass ), its says it does not know santa caterina , though I can see them on the map

So I think I will stick to google maps and my favorite routes in my head

These are marked as white mountain roads on the map, maybe is marked as not suitable for a Tesla

I did get it to go over the stilfser joch, but not the Gava pass.

Route https://abetterrouteplanner.com/?plan_uuid=597bfcb1-55af-4eb7-9abe-35288e592e0d

But now this trip without the Gava, requires a supercharger, and its not on route so it takes a while, to drive off route and back on, although it does not appear on the Tesla supercharger network map so not sure how quick it is

I am sure there are hundreds of routes that cannot be reached by a Tesla, if you want to drive a specific route

If you have never done the  stilfser joch , I highly recommend it Top Gear: Worlds best road - Davos to the Stelvio - Bing video , its sunning, I think the 2nd highest pass in the Alps, but you need a lot of time and maybe not an EV or again add time

12 hours ago, yesterday said:

This route also misses out the Gave pass and the stilfser joch altogether

If you want to be picky... here you go

https://abetterrouteplanner.com/?plan_uuid=8c5a7e4d-0779-413e-8091-5f974fafb3e0

With 22% of charge left and bypassing a supercharger on the way.

12 hours ago, yesterday said:

I am sure there are hundreds of routes that cannot be reached by a Tesla, if you want to drive a specific route

Try me. Rules: Western Europe.

On 5/1/2021, 4:41:41, yesterday said:

While Tesla has the best charging network, without a doubt, its good when you what a to drive long distances on the motorways. But there are many many places that would be hard if not imposable to reach, without long dtours or using other slower charging point.

Your problem is just so specific. Something which occurs once or twice a year. Firstly, charging networks will only get better over time. We are, unfortunately, still relatively early in the process of everyone converting to EV's. Secondly, we just have to change our habits. It's a bit of a pain in the arse separately collecting all my plastic waste and schlepping it to a recycling bin a few hundred metres away every week but I do it because that's just the right thing to do. Same for EV's. Small sacrifices might just be needed to be made in order to help save the planet.

I had a conversation with someone about investing in chargers and charging networks recently. It got me thinking about how relatively few chargers may actually be needed out there in the world. Personally, I would only need to charge away form home about 1-2 times per year. I imagine for 80-90% of people that's probably the case. Or am I missing something here?

13 minutes ago, theGman said:

I had a conversation with someone about investing in chargers and charging networks recently. It got me thinking about how relatively few chargers may actually be needed out there in the world. Personally, I would only need to charge away form home about 1-2 times per year. I imagine for 80-90% of people that's probably the case. Or am I missing something here?

I've been reading a lot regarding this topic. Why are those non-Tesla charging stations so badly maintained and so few?

Seems the main reason is that they are not profitable!

The upfront investment is too high and the usage is not high enough to justify it. With Tesla it works because Tesla does not need them to be profitable (although I guess they are marginally profitable).

Without Corona I would charge perhaps 10-20x per year on a supercharger, but that's doing very long trips. This year I already used it 4x. But most charging sessions are quite short, 10-15 minutes.

17 minutes ago, theGman said:

If you live in a house, yes, it is damn easy and most people do not need to install a charger..  Charging from 220v is a bit better nowadays.  For example for my driving routine (pre-Covid) I estimate I would have to plug to the normal wall socket once or twice a week and that would be enough.  Charging on the road would be needed only in long trips and/or holidays, which might not happen because my first EV should be a small city car.

7 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

If you want to be picky... here you go

https://abetterrouteplanner.com/?plan_uuid=8c5a7e4d-0779-413e-8091-5f974fafb3e0

With 22% of charge left and bypassing a supercharger on the way.

Try me. Rules: Western Europe.

Sorry to be picky, but your route missis out the  stilfser joch, which I wanted to drive on, OK, your route brings you down to Switzerland and on a dirt road, I wanted the other route which comes down in Italy, so my fault for not explaining it enough.

I corrected it to   A Better Routeplanner and thanks I now see how to add specific roads

But when I add the  stilfser joch  , then it includes a stop at a supercharger !, OK its on route, and only adds an extra 10 mins or so, which I would be happy with as no long deviation and a short charge time.

Thanks for that.

6 hours ago, theGman said:

Your problem is just so specific. Something which occurs once or twice a year. Firstly, charging networks will only get better over time. We are, unfortunately, still relatively early in the process of everyone converting to EV's.

I think my requirements are specific, you are right. But I came to Munich partly because I love being in the Mountains, skiing in winter at many different places, and walking/Motorbike riding in the summer. So for me I used to go on various 10 or 12 hour motorbike rides per month, its not a 1 or 2 rides per year thing. Even going  to to the Timmelsjoch, is a 10 hour round trip from Munich, but you get beautiful view at 2400+ meters high, I think

The problem is, other people would not want to do it, which I understand and respect, its not their hobby and therefore its a little thing to give up. But its not to people who like to do it

I wonder what you would say, if somebody asked you to give up your favorite hobby, to save the environment ? I would want to know what people would say if the

environment was damaged by BeerGardens, would people in Munich just accept it and say OK, I do not do it to protect the environment.

Sure charging networks are going to get better and better and the Tesla supercharging network is the best, but at the moment there is not as much coverage as gas/diesel stations - I will change when the circumstances change

and yes, I try very hard to recycle all my waste products, we have no plastic bin in my apartment block, so I collect it in a bag and walk it 0.5 km to the big public re-cycling bin at the end of the road

1 hour ago, yesterday said:

I wonder what you would say, if somebody asked you to give up your favorite hobby, to save the environment ? I would want to know what people would say if the

environment was damaged by BeerGardens, would people in Munich just accept it and say OK,

Hyperbole much?

1 hour ago, yesterday said:

and yes, I try very hard to recycle all my waste products, we have no plastic bin in my apartment block, so I collect it in a bag and walk it 0.5 km to the big public re-cycling bin at the end of the road

Everyone in Munich does this. Glass and alu as well. Does not make one a super hero. It is a normal every day activity that has been going on for many years. You are not trying very hard - you are doing what is expected.

17 hours ago, yesterday said:

I think my requirements are specific, you are right. But I came to Munich partly because I love being in the Mountains, skiing in winter at many different places, and walking/Motorbike riding in the summer. So for me I used to go on various 10 or 12 hour motorbike rides per month, its not a 1 or 2 rides per year thing. Even going  to to the Timmelsjoch, is a 10 hour round trip from Munich, but you get beautiful view at 2400+ meters high, I think

The problem is, other people would not want to do it, which I understand and respect, its not their hobby and therefore its a little thing to give up. But its not to people who like to do it

environment was damaged by BeerGardens, would people in Munich just accept it and say OK, I do not do it to protect the environment.

Sure charging networks are going to get better and better and the Tesla supercharging network is the best, but at the moment there is not as much coverage as gas/diesel stations - I will change when the circumstances change

I don't know what to tell you. I'm guessing (like Mike already showed you) that a minor bit of pre-planning will make any journey you want to do possible in an EV. If you want to keep trying to imagine up scenarios then be my guest. Don't by an EV then. As the saying goes, "People who say it cannot be done, should not interrupt those who are doing it".

To address your well intentioned but wildly hyperbolic beer garden analogy: I like to kick a ball around the park near my house with my mates. If we were told that we were damaging the flora and fauna there by doing that, and that we should go to a different park 5 mins up the road, then yes, we would do that.

The salient question would be: "what is/was the criteria for determining recharge location sites"?  I wouldn't be surprised to discover the use of a supercomputer to optimize all the possible variables.

From the article-

Hoyer said she'd seen a TV report about Tesla laying water pipes illegally, hardening her conviction that government project supervisors are turning a blind eye to irregularities.

"There are only random inspections on the site by the regional environmental authorities, but obviously those checks are not really efficient," Hoyer complained.

Means nothing if it wasn't on youtube. :rolleyes:

20 hours ago, fraufruit said:

From the article-

Means nothing if it wasn't on youtube. :rolleyes:

if there's a nit a german will pick it