Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Strictly Stand Up English comedy in Berlin 2-3 Dec. 2019

4 posts in this topic

Strictly Stand Up is closing out the year with a bang. From their website:

Enjoy three top international acts, plus our Berlin Spotlight, presented as always by the lovely and talented Christian Schulte-Loh.

Look forward to these fabulous comedians:

Andrew Ryan (Ireland)

Described as “one of the most exciting talents in recent years”, Andrew performs at top clubs all over the UK and Ireland. His quintessentially Irish storytelling abilities and cheeky, friendly demeanour make him a natural standup. A firm fixture at the Edinburgh Fringe, he regularly sells out his show runs. We’re excited to welcome him to Berlin for the very first time.

“Utterly brilliant, going to be a huge star.” – Timeout

Steven Grant (UK)

Stephen Grant is one of the UK’s funniest, hardest working and most respected comedians. He is a multi-award winning MC and the resident compere at Krater Comedy Club at Komedia in Brighton. He performs at clubs and corporate events all over the UK and on the international circuit and has taken six critically acclaimed shows to the Edinburgh Fringe since 2003. He will be making his Quatsch debut as well.

“Fast thinking and quick witted” – The Argus

Mike Wilmot (Canada)

We always enjoy a bit of nostalgia around the holidays, so we’ve invited fan favourite Mike Wilmot back to grace our stage. Mike is a true legend and one of the finest club comedians in the world. He’s achieved rave reviews and won top comedy prizes over the years. He’s also a regular on TV ("Live at the Apollo"). We’re thrilled to have him back with us.

“A…stand-up whose close-to-the-bone repertoire leaves the audience in a state of hilarity that most comedians can only dream of.” – Sunday Times

Spotlight Berlin: Pavlo V (Ukraine)

Pavlo quit his journalist job and started doing standup a couple of years ago. He says he made this choice because he "always wanted to tell the truth". Born and raised in Ukraine, confused and dazed in Berlin, Pavlo is still looking for the meaning of life and a perfect burger place.

There's also a potentially interesting blurb for those of you who got a late start on planning your team/office Christmas party:

Enjoy our special Hot Pot & Strictly Stand Up – Spend a funny, relaxed, and completely delicious evening at Germany’s most famous standup comedy club on December 2 or 3 – at Strictly Stand Up – The English Comedy Night. Groups of 4 to 130 people can enjoy our legendary, delicious X-Mas Fun Hot Pot before the show.

I had the hotpot with a small group last year and it was really good.

The Quatsch Comedy Club is a great, intimate comedy venue, with just 300 seats, in the basement of the Friedrichstadtpalast on Friedrichstraße 107.

Tickets start at €23 plus service charges, or free of service charges at the box office on the evening of the show (subject to availability).

There are free baby margaritas in the lobby before the show and happy hour afterwards, when you'll have the chance to chat with the comics, if you're so inclined. Doors open at 7 p.m.

Come out and support English comedy in Berlin!

I subscribe to the Quatsch newsletter and found this in my inbox this morning. Thought I'd share it, because this weekend you can get 35% off tickets for the shows on Monday and Tuesday:

header-logo.jpg

Quatsch Comedy Club

Berlin

Hamburg

Stuttgart

Düsseldorf

- - - - -

Watch out! Christmas is coming, Black Friday is already here!

NL_Header_BlackFriday_Englisch.jpg

Strictly Stand Up – The English Comedy Nights

DEC 2 + 3, 8pm @Quatsch Comedy Club

Depressed by the dreadful weather? Overwhelmed by all the Christmas shopping you have to do?

With our Black Weekend deal, you can lighten your mood without lightening your wallet!

Buy tickets for one of our Strictly Stand Up shows on 2 and 3 December at a special Black Weekend price – 35% off – our holiday gift to you.

To get your deal, buy your tickets online and enter the code BLACK35 at checkout – available from now until 11:59 pm on Sunday, 1 December only! It's first come, first served, so buy your tickets early and don't miss out.

Hope to see you at Berlin's best international stand-up show, with two hours of awesome comedy hosted by the lovely and talented Christian Schulte-Loh.

Prepare yourself for a night fulfilled with jokes of our lovely comedians: Andrew Ryan (Ireland), Steven Grant (UK) and Mike Wilmot (Canada) and our Berlin spotlight Pavlo V. (Ukraine). Up close, in your face and live!

> > GET YOUR TICKETS NOW

I went to last night's show and thoroughly enjoyed it. Things started off a bit slow, because some in the crowd (which was around half Germans and half internationals) seemed to have trouble understanding Andrew Ryan's Cork accent, but he managed to win them over in the end after a surprising twist.

Steven Grant did a great set. Pavlo V was the surprise hit of the evening, with his tales of coming to Germany from Ukraine. And Mike Wilmot absolutely killed.

It was a great show to finish off the year - if you enjoy live comedy and have time tonight, I highly recommend it.

I went on the second night (Wednesday) and would say it was a good, if not a great show. Our party felt the first half was stronger than the second, really liked Andrew Ryan who was not difficult to understand (although he made a comment about the speed of his delivery which suggested that he had slowed things down a bit for non-native speakers). He was really funny, as was Steven Grant. The Ukrainian comedian's set was noticeably shorter (as is probably the tradition for the Berlin-based act?), but he had a nice dead-pan ironic delivery. Mike from Canada went down well, but I remember seeing him two or three years ago and it seemed that much of his set was recycled. Fair enough, I guess, but made for a flatter second half for me.

As always, the moderator Christian Schulte-Loh is an absolute hoot, his warm up banter with the audience is great. A natural talent.

I'm kinda annoyed with myself I didn't see the Black Friday offer when I bought the ticket. But what the heck - my friend Rick was feeling generous and bought me lots of drinks so I'm not complaining.