Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Books to give away

16 posts in this topic

I have a load of English books to get rid of and I can't decide how to do it.  I can't take them to the street bookcase in Merianplatz, Frankfurt, where I normally go, because there will not be enough room.  I asked the English theatre if I could leave them with them and they can stock up the bookcase outside their door. They said yes but am worried they might find that too much.  I'm going to Frankfurt on Tuesday and thought of posting, on TT, that I'll be at street X at a certain time but what if it's raining or nobody shows up.  My time in DE is getting short and I have to empty the house. 

Any other ideas?

Rodisi is running out of time..why would he be interested in getting involved in yet another site?

I believer Rodisi is of my generation ( ie uralt :lol:)  .

What I did when I had to get rid of stuff in Hamburg urgently 5 years ago: I went to the Hausmeister and said: " loads of stuff to throw away. Can I leave it all here near the front door to the building and let people take their pick? "

I did. They did.

Mind you, the sofa was a problem..so I rang door bells and an Indian couple said: " yep, sofa sounds good."

The guy was way younger than me and sorted it out.

GIVE stuff away... I guarantee it is good for the soul!

You can´t take it with you and you won´t even remember what it cost originally! It doesn´t matter.

Oxfam runs what they call a "Buchshop" [sic] in the city center where you could donate your books.

EDIT:  Töngesgasse 35, 60311 Frankfurt am Main

There is an Oxfam bookshop in Berlin Schöneburg which is happy to take boxes full of books  - no questions asked. If there is one in FFM then that would be my recommendation too. 

Good luck!

1 hour ago, john g. said:

What I did when I had to get rid of stuff in Hamburg urgently 5 years ago: I wenn to the Hausmeister and said: " loads of stuff to throw away. Can I leave it all here near the front door to the building and let people take their pick? "

I did.

I upcycled all my posessions that I no longer needed for my last move in Berlin by simply leaving them on the street om a Sunday morning (less chance of Ordnungsamt issues). including shelves, sofas and also a display of books and "Staubmagnete" set up on the shelves etc. No point in sticking stuff out in the rain, and you need to keep an eye on it in case it gets messed aound and starts blocking the pavement.

Gone in under an hour.

3 hours ago, rodisi said:

I asked the English theatre if I could leave them with them and they can stock up the bookcase outside their door. They said yes

Problem solved.

These ones accept used things. They even have am advert regarding emptying a house.

Ökumenischer Familien-Markt
Röntgenstraße 10
60388 Frankfurt am Main

Kleider am Alleehaus
Caritasverband Frankfurt e. V.
Königsteinerstraße 130
65929 Frankfurt am Main

20 hours ago, john g. said:

Rodisi is running out of time..why would he be interested in getting involved in yet another site?

I believer Rodisi is of my generation ( ie uralt :lol:)  .

What I did when I had to get rid of stuff in Hamburg urgently 5 years ago: I went to the Hausmeister and said: " loads of stuff to throw away. Can I leave it all here near the front door to the building and let people take their pick? "

I did. They did.

Mind you, the sofa was a problem..so I rang door bells and an Indian couple said: " yep, sofa sounds good."

The guy was way younger than me and sorted it out.

GIVE stuff away... I guarantee it is good for the soul!

You can´t take it with you and you won´t even remember what it cost originally! It doesn´t matter.

Oi! Less of the 'uralt' bitte, I'm in the prime of my mature age. Believe me, I've been shoveling stuff to my local Tafel.  The moving company has quoted me £90 per m³ so every m³ I give away, I save money.

20 hours ago, jeremytwo said:

Is this near you?

http://www.elisabethkirche.de/kirchenkiosk/der-buecherflohmarkt/

Relative near, I'll keep it in mind.

20 hours ago, Smaug said:

Oxfam runs what they call a "Buchshop" [sic] in the city center where you could donate your books.

EDIT:  Töngesgasse 35, 60311 Frankfurt am Main

I know the one in Merianplatz but I'm not a big fan of Oxfam, not even in the UK.  

15 hours ago, White Rose of Yorkshire said:

I used to donate my old books to a nearby prison. Is there a prison near where you live?

Hospitals usually have a reading corner or something similar. 

I have no idea where there might be a prison and as for hospitals, I live in a platt speaking area, if you get my drift.

Anyway, thank you all for your suggestions.

I've decided not to keep my Ian Rankin collection of books.  I have 23 of them that I would rather an enthusiast took. The books are as follows:

Black and Blue
Blood Hunt
Exit Music
Fleshmarket Close
Hide and Seek
Knots & Crosses
Let it Bleed
Mortal Causes
Rather be the devil
Resurection men
Saints of the Shadow Bible
Set in Darkness
Standing in Another Man's Grave
Strip Jack
The Beat Goes On(short stories)
The Black Book
The Complaints
The Falls
The Impossible Dead
The Naming of the Dead
Tooth & Nail
Witch Hunt
Even dogs in the wild

Anyone in the Frankfurt, Giessen, Marburg area interested can contact me and we can arrange a meetup somewhere.