Rentenversicherung for my dependent, unemployed German wife

8 posts in this topic

I'm looking for advice. I am a U.S. citizen, married to a german woman and living in Germany. My health insurance (AOK) and Rentenversicherung is handled through Künstlersozialkasse (KSK). My wife, who is unemployed, has never paid into any retirement program but is now concerned with getting into one, as my dependent. We don't have the first idea how to proceed. Should we try getting her added through the KSK, AOK, something else? Is this even advisable in the first place? Where can we get consultation and solid advice on this?

Any help offered is greatly appreciated.

Voluntarily contributing to the public pension system is rarely a good idea in Germany. 

Contact @Starshollow for professional advice on private pension plans. 

56 minutes ago, jasclark said:

I'm looking for advice. I am a U.S. citizen, married to a german woman and living in Germany. My health insurance (AOK) and Rentenversicherung is handled through Künstlersozialkasse (KSK). My wife, who is unemployed, has never paid into any retirement program but is now concerned with getting into one, as my dependent. We don't have the first idea how to proceed. Should we try getting her added through the KSK, AOK, something else? Is this even advisable in the first place? Where can we get consultation and solid advice on this?

Any help offered is greatly appreciated.

Hello, jasclark! I took the liberty of having a look at your profile and your age. Why has your wife never paid into a German pension scheme? Is she by any chance a “ new “ German? By that I mean, maybe an American who has taken on German nationality by dint of a parent’s German background?

If your wife is anything like close to your age, that could be tough re saving for a pension.

By the way, no nastiness meant- I am 67, ok!

Disclaimer: I’m an independent insurance broker and authorised advertiser on Toytown.

John, do you also advise on retirement planning? I didn't see it on your website so I didn't tag you too.

Yes, of course!

The information is probably next to a picture of a dog but anyway!!!

:lol:

But I first check whether other important issues are first sorted out with a client: income protection in case the client has nothing in place in case they are unable to continue to earn money to be able to pay into a pension scheme!

@john g. – Yes, we have an age difference. She is 37. We have been together for 12 years. It just so happens that she never had a career – or held any job – before our marriage. Snatched her from her mother's arms! So now we are thinking about this. Not really sure what the best thing to do is.

@engelchen - Thanks for the advice. We may be contacting  @Starshollow  in the near future. Is that you, btw?

Hi jasclark!

No judgement from me about the age difference.

Just a point- hey, I’m 67 and no longer in the disco phase.

Do you have anything in place in case you “ you move to a more serene place ? “... in other words - more crudely put.. “ do you have a term life insurance which would pay out a death benefit to your wife? “

That would be helpful for her for some security.

And equally - how does it look with you financially in case you need care as you get  older? And your wife might not be able to cope financially?

31 minutes ago, jasclark said:

@john g. – Yes, we have an age difference. She is 37. We have been together for 12 years. It just so happens that she never had a career – or held any job – before our marriage. Snatched her from her mother's arms! So now we are thinking about this. Not really sure what the best thing to do is.

@engelchen - Thanks for the advice. We may be contacting  @Starshollow  in the near future. Is that you, btw?

Engelchen is a fine and lovely lady, jasclark , with her own but different professional expertise! She is NOT Starshollow! Starshollow is a highly respected financial advisor but, based on his profile photo, is probably less wonderful than Engelchen?.

Same here! I am less wonderful!

As  we say in English ( but stolen fairly and squarely from French ! ), “ noblesse oblige..”