airlifting insurance / ambulance flights

21 posts in this topic

Is there insurance cover available for the cost of airlifting to Germany from another EU country in case you need hospital treatment but are unable to fly in a regular plane? I´m not only talking

about cases in which treatment isn´t possible in your country of residence but where you choose to rather be treated "at home".

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I certainly hope not. Insurance should always be for emergencies only, lest there be tremendous incentive to game the system.

 

You decided to live in Greece, which is now your home. So live with it.

5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, jeba said:

I´m not only talking

about cases in which treatment isn´t possible in your country of residence but where you choose to rather be treated "at home".

 

I see a paradox in this sentence.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, El Jeffo said:

Insurance should always be for emergencies only, lest there be tremendous incentive to game the system.

By that logic there should be no top up insurance for private rooms or comprehensive car insurance or...

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, jeba said:

By that logic there should be no top up insurance for private rooms or comprehensive car insurance or...

 

Think about what you're saying for a minute: if you buy private room insurance or comprehensive car cover, are you saying that's incentive for you to injure yourself so severely that you need hospitalization or drive your car into a tree?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No, but that wouldn´t be the case either if I needed hospitalisation and were unable to fly on a normal plane.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, El Jeffo said:

I certainly hope not. Insurance should always be for emergencies only, lest there be tremendous incentive to game the system.

 

You decided to live in Greece, which is now your home. So live with it.

 

1 hour ago, El Jeffo said:

I certainly hope not. Insurance should always be for emergencies only, lest there be tremendous incentive to game the system.

 

You decided to live in Greece, which is now your home. So live with it.

He is not in Greece, Jeffo ! He is on Cyprus!

Jeba- Cyprus is full of expats- why not check with a local insurance broker who may deal with foreigners’ questions? Ie if something is possible to sign up for based on Cypriot insurance rules and regulations?

 

https://www.cyprusinsurancebrokers.com

 

 

I am a professional independent insurance broker and authorised advertiser. Contact me.
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, john g. said:

Jeba- Cyprus is full of expats- why not check with a local insurance broker who may deal with foreigners’ questions? Ie if something is possible to sign up for based on Cypriot insurance rules and regulations?

I did that already - but to no avail. That´s why I was wondering whether it´s available from Germany.

 

Edit: it actually is available but only in combination with health insurance which I don´t need and only with maximum cover of € 2000.-. When my mom was very ill and I was getting quotes for an airlift the cost were about 30 - 40 k

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Help me! I'm gaming the system by not signing on to the health insurance scheme in the country where I'm living, so no one wants to give me repatriation insurance to fly me back to the country I'm officially living in!

 

This really needs to be posted in the Pleeeze help me thread.

 

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It wouldnt surprise me, plenty of people live in countries where even if properly insured they dont trust the local medical service.  I know its not cyprus but Im pretty sure I remember people suggesting much the same to johng when he had medical issues in greece recently.

 

And not just expats, I know indians for example who dont trust their own medical services and ask me to send them pharmaceuticals. Which I cant do as Im pretty sure its illegal.

 

Cant see myself doing it, but there must be no end of people with this kind of arrangement or at least a market for it if it doesnt exist.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, zwiebelfisch said:

I know its not cyprus but Im pretty sure I remember people suggesting much the same to johng when he had medical issues in greece recently.

 

Pretty sure he could have flown commercial instead of Medi Flight.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, El Jeffo said:

! I'm gaming the system by not signing on to the health insurance scheme in the country where I'm living,

I´m not gaming the system in any way. Being a German pensioner I do have German public health insurance and and there is no requirement to give it up.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, fraufruit said:

 

Pretty sure he could have flown commercial instead of Medi Flight.

 

We talking about whether or not its ok to prefer treatment in another country, which in the case of johng we all (or most of us) thought it was.  For some reason when its Jeba its all finger pointing and claiming he is gaming the system.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The difference that I see is jeba is talking about a 30 - 40k Medi Flight being paid for instead of a commercial flight.

 

But you're right, his OP is asking if there is an insurance for that specifically.

 

I wasn't finger pointing and I sure hope that jeba doesn't see a need for such a flight in his near future.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not finger-pointing because it's jeba. I'm finger-pointing because it goes against the fundamental nature of insurance to purchase it for something that is voluntary, has already occurred, or is inevitable. It's why all insurance policies have a cool-down period or exclude pre-existing conditions.

 

The fact that jeba is living off the grid in Cyprus is just icing on the cake.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, El Jeffo said:

I'm finger-pointing because it goes against the fundamental nature of insurance to purchase it for something that is voluntary, has already occurred, or is inevitable

No, it doesn´t. You don´t seem to understand the principle of insurance (except if it were insurance for something which had already occured - which is not what I was asking about).

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

27 minutes ago, zwiebelfisch said:

  For some reason when its Jeba its all finger pointing and claiming he is gaming the system.

 

Jeba has already mentioned in another thread how he is gaming the system. 

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, engelchen said:

Jeba has already mentioned in another thread how he is gaming the system. 

Wrong. Just like in this thread I´was accused of doing it - that doesn´t make it true though.

 

Quote

If you want to receive healthcare services within the GHS, then you will have to enroll to the System and register to a Personal Doctor’s list. Please note that either you enroll or not, you will not pay a contribution since you are an S1 holder. If you do not wish to enroll, then you are not obliged to...

...

Thank you for contacting us, we remain at your disposal.

 

 

GHS Contact Centre

Health Insurance Organisation

The above is from an email I received from GESY, the Cypriot public health insurance scheme.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

 

Pretty sure he could have flown commercial instead of Medi Flight.

That is true, fraufruit! Our wonderful PandaMunich had even provided details about an early flight to Germany and was ready to book it for me whilst I was lying in hospital in Heraklion.

But i was not only in hospital but was not in a fit condition to go anywhere.

 

By the way, very many of you were absolutely wonderful to me and kept my spirits up in those “ dark “ days  “, including some of those on this thread. I am eternally grateful.?

 

There are, you know , some interesting insurance offers out there - my favourite is a Dutch outfit which offers insurance in case you are kidnapped by aliens!

I think this was also offered about 20 years ago in the States!

??

 

And something I once checked- theft of your dog from your house in Germany is covered by a good Hausratversicherung!!

?

I am a professional independent insurance broker and authorised advertiser. Contact me.
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now