Lufthansa Strike

57 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, LukeSkywalker said:

You can't make money with €40 flights. It's cheaper than a return ticket Munich-Nürnberg by train. There is a reason why so many budget airlines went bankrupt in recent years.

Well run budget airline do well, like Easyjet and ryanair for over 20 years. badly run airlines ( budget or not ) are going to go bust or get a bail out, check out Airberlin / Lufthansa.

Not every seat costs 40 euro, if you leave it to the day before you want to fly, then you pay a lot more, so the Airline gets more money overall for that flight, well run airlines tend to only operate routes that they can fill the aeroplane to full capacity.

I hope that governments impose taxes on jet fuel, because it's very strange that I pay more tax on 50 liters petrol than an airline who fills up a 747.

taxes on jet fuel just do not work, because Airplanes can fly to countries that have no tax or little  tax on jet fuel, then fly back to their source/destination airports, modern small airplanes have a huge range.

Most Governments, europe, apply a passenger tax, each time you fly part of your ticket price includes this passenger duty, so  you are paying a tax to fly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Passenger_Duty

There is nothing wrong with saving money for a holiday like in the old days.

Nothing wrong with  going on holiday without saving for it either

2 hours ago, McDee said:

So you get your news from toytowngermany.com? Haha. And I'm the one who doesn't know what I'm talking about. You're funny. 

Sometimes I get my news here and sometimes (in this case) I put news here.  Are you denying these airlines went bankrupt?   I'd rather be funny than ignorant.

You sound a touch bitter. I was talking about the service and you are trying to put words in my mouth. No thanks and goodbye. 

@pmd: "However, the airline business has just grown too much imho - airline travel is now nearly seen as a right by a lot of people, irrespective of the environmental cost. I don't think the industry can continue like it has for the last 25 years."

So you're saying that airline travel should be reserved for the wealthy again? No thanks.

Not only for the wealthy who have their own private jets and don't need to rub shouders with the riff-raff. The culture of jetting off to Rome for the weekend should be nipped in the bud however. Sure, we all deserve a nice holiday once a year but this should be a luxury, not  an every day routine activity. I agree with taxing airplane fuel, sky-high if necessary.

22 hours ago, Acton said:

The culture of jetting off to Rome for the weekend should be nipped in the bud however. Sure, we all deserve a nice holiday once a year

There's always somebody who knows what's best for others.

22 hours ago, Acton said:

Not only for the wealthy who have their own private jets and don't need to rub shouders with the riff-raff. The culture of jetting off to Rome for the weekend should be nipped in the bud however. Sure, we all deserve a nice holiday once a year but this should be a luxury, not  an every day routine activity. I agree with taxing airplane fuel, sky-high if necessary.

This is why you’re not in charge of anything important.

Since the Seychelles are now opening their borders for people with a private jet, I just checked how much a flight from Frankfurt to the Seychelles would cost.

125000€ (return flight). Not so cheap. However, you could ask 10 of your friends to join you and split the cheque. (You could do this with Germans, but that is not so popular amoungst people from other nations.)

3 hours ago, catjones said:

There's always somebody who knows what's best for others.

Yes, including the entire planet.

3 hours ago, Space Cowboy said:

This is why you’re not in charge of anything important.

Do you know something I don't?

3 minutes ago, Acton said:

Do you know Something everything I don't?

fixed it..

@Acton: Environmental protection or the hugely exaggerated threat of climate change should be used as excuses to limit people's freedoms.

Sorry, I of course meant "should NOT be used as excuses to limit people's freedoms".

5 hours ago, GerardB said:

limit people's freedoms

Like lemmings have the freedom to follow each other over cliffs?

17 minutes ago, Acton said:

Like lemmings have the freedom to follow each other over cliffs?

Taking a flight now and then can hardly be compared with running off a cliff.