Lufthansa Strike

57 posts in this topic

Probably the same in Greece, Mike. It can be helpful to know people - the upside - but if people are not properly qualified- the downside.

And probably worldwide- it’s not what you know,  but who you know.

I have personally benefitted from it. Mostly when I was younger...

2 hours ago, GoldenJoe said:

As a passenger I do support your last sentence, but I disagree that Germany should give aid to non-German companies. These companies should ask for help their countries. 

Why would not Italy give money to Lufthansa? Oh, it is in a huge debt and it helps AlItalia, but nobody wanna block this help with the hands of  the EU bureaucrats. Looks like hypocrisy and double standards to me.

I really hope we get more competition in Germany. Lufthansa have taken a near monopoly on German markets for many years and now begging pleading  to keep their dominant position. Lets hope EU competition commission can put some pressure on them to free up some of those coveted slots at Munich and Frankfurt for other airlines, so we can pay less out of our pocket to get around. 

7 hours ago, burningtiger said:

so we can pay less out of our pocket to get around. 

So, you don't want to give people a reasonable income? You want slave workers from the East to work for you, just to be able to have cheap services?

I don't know, where you work, but what about reducing your salary by 50%, or moving your job to Asia?

Cheap flights and other kind of transportation are not mentioned in the Declaration of Human Rights.

19 hours ago, yesterday said:

It would be good for Lufthansa to loose slots, so we can all travel more cheaply 

Even more cheaply as it already is?

Does every Tom, Dick and Harry need the ability to catch a tourist bomber and fly to Phuket? Or spend a week grazing the buffet empty in Hurghada, or a jump on a 20 Euro flight for drinking oneself to oblivion on Ballermann?

I´m kind of enjoying the clear skies with only the occasional plane flying overhead and seriously hope it stays that way.

The airlines have so much money chucked at them, I read somewhere that Lufthansa gotten 1.2 billion on subsidies in 2016, where did all that money go and why should they get more of our taxpayers money if they can´t household.

20 Euros to Ballermann?  A non-stop flight Hamburg to Palma de Mallorca with Eurowings from 1 adult on the 14th June & back a week later (with 1 piece luggage) currently costs 297,98 Euros which is by no means expensive but certainly not 2 x 20 Euros.

4 minutes ago, HEM said:

20 Euros to Ballermann?  A non-stop flight Hamburg to Palma de Mallorca with Eurowings from 1 adult on the 14th June & back a week later (with 1 piece luggage) costs 297,98 Euros which is by no means expensive but certainly not 2 x 20 Euros.

Should have flown Ryanair, you can fly this June for 36 Euros.

19 hours ago, yesterday said:

It would be good for Lufthansa to loose slots, so we can all travel more cheaply 

Even more cheaply as it already is?

Does every Tom, Dick and Harry need the ability to catch a tourist bomber and fly to Phuket? Or spend a week grazing the buffet empty in Hurghada, or a jump on a 20 Euro flight for drinking oneself to oblivion on Ballermann?

I´m kind of enjoying the clear skies with only the occasional plane flying overhead and seriously hope it stays that way.

ryan.png

Totally agree everyone is entitled to fair pay however wondering if 3.175m Euro for Lufthansa executive pay is probably slightly higher then one would like in these circumstance. Its personal to me as had to travel due  to private emergency during Covid time and my only option to travel was Lufthansa who offered 600 euro for return ticket which in normal times was 200 Euro and even less with low cost carriers. I felt they took advantage of the situation and saw this playout  when Airberlin went banktrupt and fares almost went immediately nearly double overnight for few months until Easyjet. came in  With regards your question on Eastern workers, you wlll be hard press to source fruit/veg in German supermarkets/markets  which has not come via the effort via some of these workers.

On 11/9/2019, 9:00:58, catjones said:

The disruption, stress, lost days and enormous costs to their customers, yet they keep coming back for more.  After the Air Berlin fiasco, EU airlines are the absolute last resort...

They are a lot better than American ones but not as good as Asian ones.

22 hours ago, LukeSkywalker said:

Who said life is fair? Look at Alitalia, for example. They don't make a profit for 20 (?) years now and still get government funding.

National airlines like Air France, KLM and Lufthansa are too important for the economy. Lufthansa employs more than 100,000 employees. KLM is the oldest commercial airline in the world (101 years) and there is lot of sentiment involved.

I'm sure that Merkel will contact her buddy Von der Leyen to work it out :).

And I am sure you would say, some black guy who had his head on the street by his neck by a policeman , who died from it - just has to accept life is not  fair.

All Governments should respect the fair rule of the EU - which they all agreed to - that's fair - and yes that applies to KLM / Air france and all the rest of them.

16 hours ago, GoldenJoe said:

As a passenger I do support your last sentence, but I disagree that Germany should give aid to non-German companies. These companies should ask for help their countries. 

Why would not Italy give money to Lufthansa? Oh, it is in a huge debt and it helps AlItalia, but nobody wanna block this help with the hands of  the EU bureaucrats. Looks like hypocrisy and double standards to me.

No Government should be supporting their badly run national airlines.

56 minutes ago, yesterday said:

And I am sure you would say, some black guy who had his head on the street by his neck by a policeman , who died from it - just has to accept life is not  fair.

Mr. Apple, meet Mr Orange.

7 hours ago, slammer said:

Every Tom, Dom and Harry? Sounds like you're saying that only the wealthy should be able to travel abroad, or have I misunderstood you? Personally, I can't wait to be able to fly again, and I'm sure most of the airline staff are looking forward to being able to work as soon as possible.

On 5/28/2020, 3:01:13, LukeSkywalker said:

National airlines like Air France, KLM and Lufthansa are too important for the economy. 

Also, some countries still see it as a strategic imperative to have a functioning national airline - Lufthansa bringing back stranded tourists at the start of the Covid pandemic is a good example.

I'm a bit ambivalent when it comes to the airline industry. On the one hand, I grew up in 1980s Ireland where air travel was out of financial reach for most due to Aer Lingus' monopoly and exorbitant prices. So I can admire Ryanair's success and even O'Leary's chutzpah (up to a point).

However, the airline business has just grown too much imho - airline travel is now nearly seen as a right by a lot of people, irrespective of the environmental cost. I don't think the industry can continue like it has for the last 25 years.

Once COVID=19 goes away, the airline industry will grow and grow over the next 25 years. There are atempts to get the Airline engines replaced with Hydrogen powered units connected to electric motors to tackle the environmental issues. But thats at least 10 years away.

As long as people have the money, they will want to travel for one reason or other.

3 hours ago, fraufruit said:

Yes, some of us would like to see our families every year or so.

On 5/28/2020, 3:01:13, LukeSkywalker said:

I don't think the people that fly relatively infrequently will be affected. I am sure though that over a certain threshold, some sort of graduated 'green tax' will be introduced for frequent flyers. 

35 minutes ago, pmd said:

I don't think the people that fly relatively infrequently will be affected. I am sure though that over a certain threshold, some sort of graduated 'green tax' will be introduced for frequent flyers. 

I've been affected every year paying more and more to fly to the same places. I've never found a "cheap flight". At  times when the fuel prices drop, the airlines don't drop their prices. They just add on extra costs. 

Sorry, I have no sympathy for most airlines. I own some stocks in them and I watch their profits grow and grow and ticket prices go up and up. At least I've made a little on the back end.

yeah well

Personally, I travel to the UK 3 or 4 times a year to see family, of course by plane.

Each time I travel I look for a cheap flight, Ryanair and Easyjet seem tops. I used to pay 700 Marks, between Munich and Manchester, sometimes its like 40 euro, with easyjet - things are a lot cheaper now - not sure about USA, because I don't need to go there.

Airlines are just companies that want to make money, like everyone else, thats the system we live in.

Still do not see why Lufthansa get a bail out, while other more efficient airlines get nothing. I pay my taxes to help Lufthansa which is wrong 

23 hours ago, catjones said:

Air Berlin, Germania, WOW, Thomas Cook, Adria Airways, Flybe, Air Italy

in the past year.  You don't know what you're talking about.

https://www.toytowngermany.com/forum/topic/382460-air-berlin-and-now-germania/

So you get your news from toytowngermany.com? Haha. And I'm the one who doesn't know what I'm talking about. You're funny. 

On 11/9/2019, 9:00:58, catjones said:

The disruption, stress, lost days and enormous costs to their customers, yet they keep coming back for more.  After the Air Berlin fiasco, EU airlines are the absolute last resort...

They are a lot better than American ones but not as good as Asian ones.

14 hours ago, yesterday said:

Each time I travel I look for a cheap flight, Ryanair and Easyjet seem tops. I used to pay 700 Marks, between Munich and Manchester, sometimes its like 40 euro, with easyjet - things are a lot cheaper now - not sure about USA, because I don't need to go there.

Airlines are just companies that want to make money, like everyone else, thats the system we live in.

You can't make money with €40 flights. It's cheaper than a return ticket Munich-Nürnberg by train. There is a reason why so many budget airlines went bankrupt in recent years.

I hope that governments impose taxes on jet fuel, because it's very strange that I pay more tax on 50 liters petrol than an airline who fills up a 747. There is nothing wrong with saving money for a holiday like in the old days.