Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Divorce abroad valid in Germany?

7 posts in this topic

If my husband and I get a divorce abroad, is this allowed and valid everywhere?

I'm from the US. He's from Vietnam.

So for example if we got a divorce in Vietnam, would it be valid here and in the US?

Thanks

In a way, you are asking, "If I sign a contract (in this case marriage) in one country, is it valid in another country?"  I would think you would need to get the divorce granted in Czech Republic since another country does not have the necessary jurisdiction.  

I got married in the UK divorced in Australia all signed with Lawyers and legal. No one cared where we got married. Just don't lose the divorce certificate that is all you need..

Might be cheaper to fly to Vietnam?

Its rather like marriage, the divorce has to be recognised by each country you care about.  For the most part thats not a big deal, get divorced in france and its valid here etc. Czech republic is in the eu, but vietnam isnt, that might make it all a bit harder.

Its not at all clear to me that a divorce in vietnam is necessarily even possible for people not living there.  It might be, but there are lots of things to look into.  

Normally people divorce where they live, and as you live together in germany Id expect its easiest to divorce here.

The divorce would be recognised more or less wherever you go (at least in Europe) assuming that you have a valid translation of the decree of divorce.

Things get interesting if you were to ever choose to get remarried: Let's say you at some point were to decide to get remarried in Germany.

The German Standesamt would then require a Certificate of Freedom to Marry (Ehefähigkeitszeugnis) from the country from which you are a citizen.

That is a document that shows that the divorce is recognized in your home country. I am dealing with this right now. I was married in Ireland but got divorced in Germany. I now plan on getting remarried here in Germany, but the German Standesamt requires that I provide an Ehefähigkeitszeugs from Ireland stating the my German divorce is recognised there. My fiancée, who is Polish, was married and divorced in Germany, and she too is required to provide an Ehefähigkeitszeugnis from Poland as proof that her German divorce is recognized there.