Naturalization and conditional dual citizenship of child

5 posts in this topic

My husband is considering applying for German citizenship.

Because we are both non-German citizens, our daughter, who was born here, got conditional German citizenship at birth... Which means that in order to retain German citizenship at the age of 21 she must either live here 8 years prior to that, go to school here for six years, or do an Ausbildung here.

Now I'm wondering, if my husband becomes a German citizen, it seems there is a box to check you'd like your children and or spouse to become citizens with you. I'm wondering, is there an option for removing the conditionality of her German citizenship without forfeiting her other citizenships or would the only two options be: 1. Giving up her US citizenship to get non conditional German citizenship or 2. keeping conditional dual citizenship?

Thanks!

1 hour ago, MLmunich said:

is there an option for removing the conditionality of her German citizenship without forfeiting her other citizenships or would the only two options be: 1. Giving up her US citizenship to get non conditional German citizenship or 2. keeping conditional dual citizenship?

I have no idea but my first instinct would be go back and talk to the authorities. They were super helpful when I applied for German citizenship. Since you mentioned US citizenship maybe talk to the American consulate too?

The American consulate is totally useless for dual citizenship or other foreign citizenship matters - all they will tell you is that the U.S. (unlike Germany) allows dual citizenship and that the Germans have the sole right to decide whether or not they do and under which circumstances.