Even after all these years, I still...

350 posts in this topic

On 4. November 2019 um 20:22:07, john g. said:

Even after all these years: I still remember learning multiplying and dividing and adding at primary school. You learnt off by heart..drummed into you. Nowadays, I wonder how many shop assistants (but not only in those jobs ) can multiply, divide and add without technology!

I bought 10 postcards of €0,50 each. The young shop assistant took out her calculator and multiplied it. I was baffled, but before the result was shown, I said "5" with a cute smile. 

1 hour ago, LukeSkywalker said:

I bought 10 postcards of €0,50 each. The young shop assistant took out her calculator and multiplied it. I was baffled, but before the result was shown, I said "5" with a cute smile. 

Did she smile and think you were cute?

20 hours ago, john g. said:

Good enough for what? In general or for your job or by person x?

Was in a job interview...

but it’s probably a blessing. Would have been hell to work under a boss that belittle me.

2 hours ago, BradinBayern said:

Did she smile and think you were cute?

No, it came across as being a smartass ?.

5 hours ago, BradinBayern said:

Why should they?  Everyone carries around more computing power in their pockets than in the Space Shuttle and it doesn't make mistakes.  Meanwhile the younger generation is a wiz at computers.  They feel the same way about us when we cannot diagnose a network problem as some of us feel when they can't do math in their head.  Different generations, different skill sets. 

I cannot work a slide rule either and I never felt the need to.   I would be totally useless as a backsmith. 

That´s something you have in common with all modern day kids, I´m afraid. They don´t seem to teach using them anymore at school.

5 hours ago, BradinBayern said:

Why should they?  Everyone carries around more computing power in their pockets than in the Space Shuttle and it doesn't make mistakes.  Meanwhile the younger generation is a wiz at computers.  They feel the same way about us when we cannot diagnose a network problem as some of us feel when they can't do math in their head.  Different generations, different skill sets. 

I cannot work a slide rule either and I never felt the need to.   I would be totally useless as a backsmith. 

If you used a slide rule as a blacksmith, you would be useless.

45 minutes ago, jeba said:

That´s something you have in common with all modern day kids, I´m afraid. They don´t seem to teach using them anymore at school.

Log tables anyone?

5 hours ago, LukeSkywalker said:

I've been shown a calculator a couple of times here in the past but in my case it was due to the shop assistant hearing I was a non-native speaker and trying to be helpful.

Here on Crete,  pmd , it is pretty common that you walk into a shop where tourists go and they swarm around you in a pack of three or four with a calculator en mano and start showing you a reduced price on it for something you may have just glanced at for half a second!

?

On 10/31/2019, 11:33:06, HH_Sailor said:

Still gets me:

The locals who can't handle a knife and fork properly.

What is properly? (somebody else asked the same question). Is it turning the fork convex side upwards and held in the left hand while trying to mush your food onto it with your knife so that you can pick it up without it falling? Or, is it holding the meat with the fork in the left hand and cutting it with the knife in the right hand, then putting the knife down, swapping the fork from the left to the right hand before shoveling it in your mouth?  Who cares, who came up with these rules and why should the sheep follow these rules?

On 11/1/2019, 8:27:06, Santitas said:

Related to that, I still can’t get used to the person in front of me at the grocery store turning around to inspect the things I’ve just placed on the belt. Then turning further around to inspect me ?

Have you ever said Hallo to them? 

On topic, after all these years I can't get used to the cashiers in supermarkets zipping ones purchases through and then wait ten minutes while the customer brings out the wallet, rifles through to find the right note then flipping through the change pocket to find the 20, 10, 5, 2 and 1 cent coins.

1 minute ago, rodisi said:

What is properly? (somebody else asked the same question). Is it turning the fork convex side upwards and held in the left hand while trying to mush your food onto it with your knife so that you can pick it up without it falling? Or, is it holding the meat with the fork in the left hand and cutting it with the knife in the right hand, then putting the knife down, swapping the fork from the left to the right hand before shoveling it in your mouth?  Who cares, who came up with these rules and why should the sheep follow these rules?

Have you ever said Hallo to them? 

Here is a link to a site describing knife and fork usage as "European" or "American" style.

https://m.wikihow.com/Use-a-Fork-and-Knife

The style which really bugs me (as in after all these years I still...)

is an version of the pictured "American" way, but the user knotting their fingers so much that 

it still makes me cringe watching.

Who cares?
Yes, I freely admit it's my problem (probably my upbringing to "do it right, or else").

I also admitted, that I'm mostly over it now. (even if it still bugs me enough to mention it here!)

which reminds me:

after all these years, I still have a very hard time using a "normal" calculator as my first device used reverse polish notation, which is beautiful but a bit strange going between the two.

HP11c, babies!  I still have that little bastard.  It still works flawlessly.  It's still my go-to device when I need to do taxes or something more long winded.  Sigh...I just love it

7 minutes ago, HH_Sailor said:

The style which really bugs me (as in after all these years I still...)

is an version of the pictured "American" way, but the user knotting their fingers so much that 

it still makes me cringe watching.

I eat my peas with honey; I've done it all my life. It makes the peas taste funny, But it keeps them on the knife.

1 hour ago, rodisi said:

On topic, after all these years I can't get used to the cashiers in supermarkets zipping ones purchases through and then wait ten minutes while the customer brings out the wallet, rifles through to find the right note then flipping through the change pocket to find the 20, 10, 5, 2 and 1 cent coins.

I was reading that the cashiers in Lidl have a minimum scan speed they have to meet so if it was in Lidl,that's the reason why.

What bugs me are the people who just dump a whole load of coins at the till and expect the cashier to count it for them..of course, it is no problem if you genuinely need help but the last couple of times it just seemed like pure laziness.

Ha, pmd! I have finally got to the age where I sometimes genuinely cannot see which coins I have available and my partner Nicole without her glasses also has difficulties. We go to LIDL here and she sometimes just opens her purse and smiles ( or not! )..and lets the young cashier sort it out.

They are gracious about that here - sort of respect/ understanding for older people.

But ok.. Athens may be different and we go to smaller towns here for shopping.

2 hours ago, john g. said:

Ha, pmd! I have finally got to the age where I sometimes genuinely cannot see which coins I have available and my partner Nicole without her glasses also has difficulties. We go to LIDL here and she sometimes just opens her purse and smiles ( or not! )..and lets the young cashier sort it out.

They are gracious about that here - sort of respect/ understanding for older people.

But ok.. Athens may be different and we go to smaller towns here for shopping.

I wrote 'If you genuinely need help...' it's not an issue for me.

It's the people that just can't be bothered to count their coins that irks me. 

6 hours ago, jeba said:

I hope you were joking...

5 hours ago, snowingagain said:

I eat my peas with honey; I've done it all my life. It makes the peas taste funny, But it keeps them on the knife.

Many years ago, in a Gasthaus in Bad Aibling. a trio from ?Romania? came in; a middle-aged man and two women in their 60s, dressed in an unfamiliar Tracht.
And the man ate his peas from his knife!  I felt I could die happy. :) 

6 hours ago, BradinBayern said:

I hope you were joking...

I wish I had been. Both my kids don´t know how to use it even though they made Abitur in Bavaria.