Even after all these years, I still...

350 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, HEM said:

If the line gets too long one can always click heels like Admiral von Schneider...

~ can't understand the tradition of watching Dinner for One on Silvesterabend! Don't get me wrong, I'm beginning to enjoy it more as the years go by!

~ can't remember ANY telephone number except my parents' old landline which has been disconnected now for more than 20 years.

My cunning plan for der, die, das,  etc is to play the statistics. All plurals are die. So that's 50% there. Throw in those few I may have picked up along the way, might bump it up to 51%. Of the remaining singular forms, let's assume an approximate equal distribution between der, die and das. (Don't start on the other genitiv/accusativ shoot-me-in-the-head-tive) So an additional 16.67% in the "die" camp, making it a grand total of approximately 67-68%. Good enough odds for me!

2 hours ago, PandaMunich said:

We "learn" them the same way you "learned" English.

We simply grow up and "know" them, no effort expended ;)

I think it's call aping. B)

Simply copying what we heard.

9 hours ago, Boggsdollocks said:

~ can't remember ANY telephone number except my parents' old landline which has been disconnected now for more than 20 years.

When I was a young kid we lived in a small town of ~5,000.  All the phone numbers in town started with the same 2 digits so only the last 4 were different.  The last four digits of our number were 4321.  My parents often had problems convincing people that it was a real number!

It also meant that it was often dialled by random.  Especially "heavy breathers"!  This appealed to my mothers sense of humour, and she would often talk to them and play a long for a bit before hanging up and then tell everybody all about it! 

12 hours ago, kiplette said:

I don't even try. I seek a household slave, or I have to write it down and read it out.

That's a job for your house elf. :) 

On 11/4/2019, 1:47:59, Boggsdollocks said:

My cunning plan for der, die, das,  etc is to play the statistics. All plurals are die. So that's 50% there. Throw in those few I may have picked up along the way, might bump it up to 51%. Of the remaining singular forms, let's assume an approximate equal distribution between der, die and das. (Don't start on the other genitiv/accusativ shoot-me-in-the-head-tive) So an additional 16.67% in the "die" camp, making it a grand total of approximately 67-68%. Good enough odds for me!

der, die ,das! By their sex you should know them. Then take butter. It's a twitter or trans-sexual beast, depending where you are in Germany/or what education you have.

For me it was always der Butter, until a loudmouth made it die Butter. Now it is only an "a butter." And don't mention go or do. Two miserable verbs for which I still hate the English language because they cost me a free afternoon some time back. ( so don't blame all misery on the poor Krauts)

On 11/4/2019, 9:47:59, Boggsdollocks said:

You can go further and increase your odds if you can memorize some word endings that have mostly a fixed gender.

i.e.:

Feminine:  -heit, -keit, -schaft, -ei, -in, -ung, -ion, -tät, -enz, -ie, -ik, -sis, -ur

Masculine:  -ling, -ig, -ich, -ismus, -ant, -ast, -ent, -ist, -or, -us

Neutral: -lein, -ium, -ett, -werk, -mittel, -land. -ramm, -wort, -ild, -mt, -ichen, -iel, -geld, -rad, -att

And for the rest, there is a very advanced technique developed by expat language master Verona Pooth, her technique consists in speaking fast and pronouncing something that starts with "d" but it is not den/dem/der, it is something in the middle but you can't really decipher if it is den, dem or der.   It takes very long to develop the skill, she has been mastering for like 30+ years.

On 11/1/2019, 11:42:54, emkay said:

Good point Lisa!  On a positive note then...even after all these years, we're all very happy to have moved to Germany and our lives are probably much better here than they would have been had we stayed in the UK

..I was never living in the UK :)

but, even after "all" these years (2), I am still wondering why German children in the street will break away from what they are doing and ride a bike/scooter/rollerblades along the street right next to you and your daughters and NOT SAY A WORD...even when you say "hallo"....weird man, weird...and has happened 3 times in two Länder.... :) whaaaaa...?

(PLEASE NOTE: Not a complaint, but a serious question about curious behaviour...)

On 11/3/2019, 8:52:34, Aussiedog said:

Even after all these years here...I cannot bring myself to be, or can ever imagine myself being, an apologist for

The German Way of Life.

Sorry ;-)

...yeah, me too. I still can't figure out how some aspects of behaviour don't have different consequences here...it's curious, for sure.

On 11/1/2019, 11:42:54, emkay said:

Good point Lisa!  On a positive note then...even after all these years, we're all very happy to have moved to Germany and our lives are probably much better here than they would have been had we stayed in the UK

..I was never living in the UK :)

but, even after "all" these years (2), I am still wondering why German children in the street will break away from what they are doing and ride a bike/scooter/rollerblades along the street right next to you and your daughters and NOT SAY A WORD...even when you say "hallo"....weird man, weird...and has happened 3 times in two Länder.... :) whaaaaa...?

(PLEASE NOTE: Not a complaint, but a serious question about curious behaviour...)

1 hour ago, Krieg said:

speaking fast and pronouncing something that starts with "d" but it is not den/dem/der, it is something in the middle but you can't really decipher if it is den, dem or der.   It takes very long to develop the skill, she has been mastering for like 30+ years.

if you master this you graduate to actual spoken "regional" German ;-)

1 hour ago, Krieg said:

You can go further and increase your odds if you can memorize some word endings that have mostly a fixed gender.

i.e.:

Feminine:  -heit, -keit, -schaft, -ei, -in, -ung, -ion, -tät, -enz, -ie, -ik, -sis, -ur

Masculine:  -ling, -ig, -ich, -ismus, -ant, -ast, -ent, -ist, -or, -us

Neutral: -lein, -ium, -ett, -werk, -mittel, -land. -ramm, -wort, -ild, -mt, -ichen, -iel, -geld, -rad, -att

And for the rest, there is a very advanced technique developed by expat language master Verona Pooth, her technique consists in speaking fast and pronouncing something that starts with "d" but it is not den/dem/der, it is something in the middle but you can't really decipher if it is den, dem or der.   It takes very long to develop the skill, she has been mastering for like 30+ years.

Don't forget the most important rule of all:  All alcoholic drinks are Masculine except Bier which is Neutral!

And if in doubt it might be worth using Feminine because:  46% are feminine, 34% masculine, and 20% neutral

(Let's not mention the 1.3% which have two genders!)

26 minutes ago, dj_jay_smith said:

Don't forget the most important rule of all:  All alcoholic drinks are Masculine except Bier which is Neutral!

Das Kirschwasser.

And der Käse is the only masculine word ending with only one e which doesn‘t add an n in the accusative!

?

Even after all these years, I was still told that I’m “not good enough”...

6 hours ago, dj_jay_smith said:

That's Water!

:D

Really? Wasser ist zum waschen da. What do you wasch with Kirschwasser?

I have 3 gallons of that Wasser on my shelf, but no washing with it.*

*in a combination(connected) of nouns, the last noun sets the gender (tone)of the combination.

The preceding nouns are only a prescription of the last noun.

3 hours ago, desdemona said:

what an insult!

6 minutes ago, gaberlunzi said:

what an insult!

Yes, and many of us, especially women, were given that message most of our lives.

3 hours ago, desdemona said:

Good enough for what? In general or for your job or by person x?