Even after all these years, I still...

324 posts in this topic

On 31.10.2019, 17:09:30, john g. said:

Even after all these years, I still can´t open a tin of Fray Bentos corned beef using that stupid key...

Even after all these years, I still can´t open any tin using the German-style ring-pull without the damned thing breaking off!

What wrong with a decent tin-opener?

3 minutes ago, alderhill said:

A week ago, I was on a busy, full train platform, changing trains to return home with my wife and our baby. I had large backpack on and my baby in my arms. Already closer to the platform that I wanted to be. As the train pulls in, some middle-aged guy shoves through from behind bumping me to the side. I gave him an annoyed WTF sort of hard stare

I don't take the train often these days (not available where I live!) but I have often been annoyed that especially in Germany when you want to get off, it is busy, but (fit & healthy) people don't move out of the way, even when asked, or only move 5 cms!

When I have had luggage I have been known to use it to push my way out when they refuse to move.  

Earlier this year I was in a tourist spot in Germany with my family.  Some young woman pushed past my 4 year old daughter recklessly just so that she can get to the viewpoint 1.2 seconds quicker than us.  While on the viewpoint I "accidentally" swung myself around so that my bag which was full of heavy things smashed against her arm!

11 minutes ago, alderhill said:

I lived in BS for 5+ years.

I often get the feeling that I am living continuously in BS!

12 hours ago, lisa13 said:

I also get a bit nervous when a person walks up on a mostly empty subway platform and stands close enough to me that we could be mistaken for friends/acquaintances.  WHY do you need to do that?

IME they are usually wanking through their pocket. No, they are not jiggling their keys. Trust your instincts and move away.

24 minutes ago, alderhill said:

He follows up with "ugh, don't make a fuss" in an annoyed voice, implying I am the one doing something wrong.

Blame the victim. Bastard.

2 hours ago, Boggsdollocks said:

get a delicious juvenile chuckle when I remember coming across "Fückes Bäckerei" on my first day in Braunschweig. (Sadly, they've closed since then.)

I used to visit Braunschweig for work before moving here permanently and used to go out of my way to buy lunch there - one to chuckle like a small child at the name and secondly as the expenses claiming system at work required you to enter the vendors name.

38 minutes ago, optimista said:

IME they are usually wanking through their pocket. No, they are not jiggling their keys. Trust your instincts and move away.

do you honestly think I would not realize that?

puhleeeez.  I cut my teeth on NYC subways.  I am very much able to discern when someone is being a creep as opposed to when they just have a different sense of personal space.

One of my oldies with a zimmer frame has a habit of coming to chat after a lesson, and advancing too close. I back off, she moves forward - like a sort of dance except that behind me in the summer is a massive open window....

I still can't get used to ... how musicians have to refer to bandmates in possessive.

"He is Dirk, my drummer, and Peter, my bassist and Juan, my guitarist".

Even after 12 years in Germany, I will NEVER learn to properly gender nouns. Ever. I throw whatever random Die Der Das Dem Den  that I feel sounds nice. Same goes for the adjective stems. Tell the Germans to just deal with it.

On 10/31/2019, 5:21:19, Tap said:

even after all these years...

...I still can't pronounce "Zwetschgenkuchen" properly, so I just call it "Pflaumenkuchen"

To be fair, can anyone in your neck of the woods pronounce "Zwetschgenkuchen" properly?

I imagine it would be very difficult with everyone around you saying "Zwetsch-guh-kuch-uh".

8 minutes ago, El Jeffo said:

To be fair, can anyone in your neck of the woods pronounce "Zwetschgenkuchen" properly?

I imagine it would be very difficult with everyone around you saying "Zwetsch-guh-kuch-uh".

Who in their right minds says: "Zwetschgenkuchen?" when they mean "Zwetschgendatschi."

It's literally been decades since I lived in the Ländle, so I'll bow to your expertise.

2 minutes ago, LukeSkywalker said:

Even after all these years on TT, I am still flummoxed how easily threads get derailed.

Wrong thread, this goes in the Why I'm Flummoxed thread.

Stop derailing.

5 hours ago, HEM said:

What wrong with a decent tin-opener?

Any reason you don't just start with a tin-opener? The ring-pull tins can still be opened the old way.

2 hours ago, LukeSkywalker said:

Even after all these years on TT, I am still flummoxed how easily threads get derailed.

After all these years...

27 minutes ago, pappnase said:

Any reason you don't just start with a tin-opener? The ring-pull tins can still be opened the old way.

Thats exactly what I do most of the time - the alternative is to call for the wife.

39 minutes ago, HEM said:

the alternative is to call for the wife.

Isn't that the old way?