Even after all these years, I still...

324 posts in this topic

49 minutes ago, French bean said:

I also developed very wide elbows when getting off the bus because we would pull into the Bus Station and all the kids would try and barge on. I would just wait by the door, extend my upper arms out and collect half a dozen of the little buggers when I got off. All of a sudden they were at the back of the bunch. It helps that I'm 6'2 with broad shoulders.

I'm not quite that tall, but I've learned to body check the people trying to barge on the bus while I'm getting off, using elbows, bags, shoulders.

Cursing in Bavarian helps, too. :D

48 minutes ago, Metall said:

I'm not quite that tall, but I've learned to body check the people trying to barge on the bus while I'm getting off, using elbows, bags, shoulders.

Cursing in Bavarian helps, too. :D

A couple of years ago I had a right go at a fat guy with loads of bags that pushed his way onto the train in Frankfurt despite all the people trying to get off. My wife told me to leave it but I just can't stand selfish entitled behaviour. What was even galling was that the train was at it's terminus and wasn't due to leave again for another 20 minutes. I'm trying to teach my daughter how to make her body appear bigger than it is and show confidence so she can stand up to tossers and not feel threatened.

3 hours ago, French bean said:

I'm trying to teach my daughter how to make her body appear bigger than it is

This reminds me of a small furry creature fluffing itself up :)

Can you perm her hair? The longer the better :lol:

Otherwise, a good long term strategy is eating plenty of cake!

7 hours ago, emkay said:

Another positive...we love and appreciate that we live so close to nature. Forests and meadows aren't far away for most of us in Germany.  Relatives visited us from the south of England recently. They were amazed to see such a wide variety of birds, insects and small mammals around our garden. They claimed that back home, they barely see even a fly let alone bees.  

For this Canadian, I find most of German "wilderness" disappointing much of the time. There are spots I'm fond of, and you think "ah, this is the stuff", and then a gang of seniors scoot by on their e-bikes or a mother and her stroller jog post followed by a pack of dogwalkers. Sigh...

This is going back about 45 years ago, alderhill...I was in Patagonia and enjoying the wilderness with my rucksack and sleeping bag and hippy-being and there were penguins and sea lions and flamingos and all the rest of it. But I had no idea..and one day I met a Dave from Manchester, who loved birds. And ducks. And he said: " let´s try and find this type of duck." ( Apparently, we did but anyway..)

Then he said: " anyone who can´t name ten types of birds  here should be shot."

Fucking hell... 

I bought him a beer somewhere and kept stumm.

He was a big guy..maybe he has mellowed since...

On 31.10.2019, 20:18:58, dessa_dangerous said:

Even after all these years in Berlin, I can't get used to people breathing down my neck in the grocery store line.  I am like, so fast, organized and prepared with loading, paying and unloading, and not laggy or standy-in-the-way-y or anything.  Yet somebody always has to stand directly in my hip pocket while I type in my PIN.  Where I'm from, you don't want anyone to get the idea you're trying to see what's in their wallet.  Even after all these years, I still want to elbow people in the nose that are standing so close to me they can see exactly everything in my wallet when I take it out to pay.  Never get used to it.

Related to that, I still can’t get used to the person in front of me at the grocery store turning around to inspect the things I’ve just placed on the belt. Then turning further around to inspect me ?

12 minutes ago, razorsandroses said:

12 years in Germany, and I still keep saying "dollars" instead of "euros"

Guilty too. Sometimes I catch myself after correct myself to say "Eurobucks".

I remember being in a baker´ shop in Harburg about 15 years ago or so and bought  a Brötchen. An elderly German behind me adjusted my shirt collar. He then said: " das ist besser. "

He was probably right!

:lol: 

10 hours ago, alderhill said:

...hork up a loogy...

Fantastic vocab! :lol:

Even after all these years - decades - I am still laughing at that old gimmer next to me at the bus stop who did that and the wind blew it back onto his suit lapel.

16 minutes ago, john g. said:

I remember being in a baker´ shop in Harburg about 15 years ago or so and bought  a Brötchen. An elderly German behind me adjusted my shirt collar. He then said: " das ist besser. "

He was probably right!

:lol: 

Yes, strangers adjusting your clothing.  Doesn't happen to me much anymore now that I am older, but i used to really hate that.  Very many probably well meaning Germans came very close to getting smacked.  Don't touch me without my permission unless you have an arrest warrant!

I still remember an old man getting on the bus one evening in Harburg..loaded with toilet rolls. He saw another  old man, made eye contact and said. " ´das macht man in unserem Alter."

19 minutes ago, BradinBayern said:

Yes, strangers adjusting your clothing.  Doesn't happen to me much anymore now that I am older, but i used to really hate that.  Very many probably well meaning Germans came very close to getting smacked.  Don't touch me without my permission unless you have an arrest warrant!

I used to love strange women touch me without permission, Brad.

I was less than 67 years old.

But anyway, don´t worry. Cultural differences.

I was  a  teacher in an international business  school in London. I had students at  a high level.The Omani Minister for Education ( I think..but a long time ago ) once left an expensive watch on the desk for me..before going into the classroom.

And another top level Government Minister  guy..I think from Tomé, would always touch my knee  when talking to me.

Cultural differences. It is the INTENTION that counts..ie malicious  or not.

Greeks? Where I live. Touchy feely- and why not? No problem here with agapi mou (my darling ). You can hug and no problem or joke about it.

I'll turn this round and tell you about the things that catch me out whenever I return to the UK (which is about once every two years, and then for only a day or two).  I sure as hell cannot get used to paying for my beer when i order it.  Also, I am sometimes surprised to find other customers in a supermarket speaking English to each other.  Go figure!

Even after over three years I still find it strange here in the U.S. when people walk in front of me or lightly brush me when walking past and say sorry. I guess I'm still too German and maybe also living in Berlin has made me think it is so weird that people would say sorry when it's not necessary. 

1 hour ago, starkebogen said:

I'll turn this round and tell you about the things that catch me out whenever I return to the UK (which is about once every two years, and then for only a day or two).  I sure as hell cannot get used to paying for my beer when i order it.  Also, I am sometimes surprised to find other customers in a supermarket speaking English to each other.  Go figure!

Ha! I once went back to London, tried to get into a cab the “ wrong side “, stares from the cabbie and then when I told him where I wanted to go, he asked me: “ Dutch or Kraut, mate? “?

It also always takes a few days to stop saying “ Entschuldigung  “ instead of “ sorry. “