Even after all these years, I still...

350 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, HH_Sailor said:

Still gets me:

The locals who can't handle a knife and fork properly.

I am no longer annoyed by this.

It just irks me somewhat.

Woe betide if any of my kids tries to start behaving that way

What is properly?

11 hours ago, zeeklafreek said:

Been here in Munich 15 years, first few with DT, then KD which is now Vodafone...in all that time I've had maybe 2 days total downtime. 

Lucky you!

In the 20 months I have been with Vodafone I have had more outages, slowdowns, and problems than in the previous 10 I have been at this address.  Including taking 3 days to get the connection to work after switching to them!

(Although the last 10-12 months have been much better, that means most the problems occurred in the first few months).

11 hours ago, LukeSkywalker said:

Even after all these years in Bavaria, I still have problems with people drinking beer in the morning.

That reminds me of a guy I saw wearing  T-shirt labeled: "I don´t have an alcohol problem. I drink - get drunk - fall down. No Problem"

After all these years, I still get rather annoyed by poor German service and the special kind of self-absorbed inconsiderate blitheness which too many Germans have. 

I knooooow I should stop moaning about it already, that not quite everyone is like this all the time, and that it’s not (usually) meant badly or personally, but still! It’s as if you’re watching/listening to someone in a fancy shop hork up a loogy like they just don’t care and spit their big green gob on the floor, right there, and you’re thinking... wait, seriously!? Did I just witness that? And no one else notices or cares, everything just continues...

You asked, so that is the thing that rankles me most about this country after 9+ years.

On a more prosaic matter... I still can’t figure out der/die/das. It’s a total crapshoot.

11 hours ago, HH_Sailor said:

The person in front of me, when entering a building, 

doesn't look behind themselves and keep the door from crashing 

back into my face.

Still annoys me.

Many years ago, I held the door at the local shopping centre so that it wouldn't smash into the next person. I ended up holding it for a stream of 20+ people!:lol:

Then I went through a phase of "what a bunch of inconsiderable tw*ts!" and gave as good as I got only to realise that I was turning out to be an aforementioned tw*t too. Perhaps that's what's called assimilation?:lol:

These days, I still hold the door open, but I then look the next person in the eye to "hand over" the door holding responsibility! Not moving out of the way also helps to get their attention! :D

19 hours ago, Boggsdollocks said:

Even after all these years, I still take an extra second to figure out "neunundvierzig" is "forty-nine".

Me too. Also, referring to time...halb vier, Dreiviertel vier etc. 

I still don't understand that kids aren't generally taught good manners from a young age. When we moved here 8 years ago from the UK, my daughter, then aged 10, was horrified that manners seemed irrelevant at school and at other kids's homes.  She had to brief her friends that her mother expects good manners when they came over to play.  She even had to nudge one particularly rude kid to say thank you for dinner.  

I describe one of our neighbours as an über perfect mother in every way (they even have a bastel Zimmer!) other than her 3 kids's manners (all under 10).  They scream and swear profusely and loudly.  She never reprimands them. After returning their football from our garden for the nth time one day, I didn't care if mother heard me, I told them that they need to say please and thank you or no ball.  They have managed to be polite ever since.  

On a similar note...now that my daughter is 18, she and our ginger cat have long since retired from the Halloween trick or treat rounds.  Last night, we were completely unprepared for the trick or treaters and rarely have sweets in the house.  The first group arrived...super cute 3-4 year olds, mothers hovering in the background.  With no sweets to offer, I offered them fruit from our well stocked bowl. The little boys gleefully grabbed bananas, apples and oranges.  The little fairy girl...neeee, das mag ich nicht.  Oh, well how about some homemade flapjacks?  Neee, das mag ich nicht.  Although  the hovering mothers looked mortified, they didn't intervene. Ok, how about cash then?  Oh jaaaaaa.  Little hand delved into our change tin.  She was happy!  Bless the boys though, I said they could have some too though they all said they were happy with their fruit.  After that lot, the next ones were offered cash! All happy.  Even got the odd thank you. 

oh the above, absolutely, many times over. A moment's inattention, and you are essentially a living doorstop for the entire shopping population of whereversville - one of the things that make living here hard work.

On the other hand, even after all these years I am amazed and delighted when I see crowds of unruly teenagers waiting at the red light at a pedestrian crossing. 

5 minutes ago, lisa13 said:

even after all these years, TT still takes every opportunity to delve into the things they don't like about living in Germany.  Over and over again, same stuff, different thread 

;)

Good point Lisa!  On a positive note then...even after all these years, we're all very happy to have moved to Germany and our lives are probably much better here than they would have been had we stayed in the UK

22 minutes ago, lisa13 said:

even after all these years, TT still takes every opportunity to delve into the things they don't like about living in Germany.  Over and over again, same stuff, different thread 

;)

? Can’t pull wool over your eyes, Lisa! ??

right on @emkay  I sincerely hope that's the case for all of us.  I know it is for me.

even after all these years, I still forget to grab my night guard on the way out of the bathroom after my last piddle before bed.

forgetting it is THE routine :)  

Although queuing in the UK still happens it's not quite as good as it was, however getting onto a Bus here definitely law of the largest. Whilst doing my Ausbildung last year, I pulled 2 lads up who pushed to the front of the queue to get on the Bus, I told them to wait and let the old lady on first, Shock on their faces, shear surprise and pleasure on hers. I also developed very wide elbows when getting off the bus because we would pull into the Bus Station and all the kids would try and barge on. I would just wait by the door, extend my upper arms out and collect half a dozen of the little buggers when I got off. All of a sudden they were at the back of the bunch. It helps that I'm 6'2 with broad shoulders.

Forgetting the mobile phone in the jacket and going to sleep without plugging it in to charge...

And let's not forget the 50:50 chance of plugging in a usb-memory stick into the laptop, this is a 90:10 chance of doing it wrong to me...

13 minutes ago, franklan said:

this is a 90:10 chance of doing it wrong

I think I manage to hit 200:-50 on USBs.  Even when I turn it over after the first failure it doesn't fit.  impossible, yet true.

Another positive...we love and appreciate that we live so close to nature. Forests and meadows aren't far away for most of us in Germany.  Relatives visited us from the south of England recently. They were amazed to see such a wide variety of birds, insects and small mammals around our garden. They claimed that back home, they barely see even a fly let alone bees.  

37 minutes ago, lisa13 said:

right on @emkay  I sincerely hope that's the case for all of us.  I know it is for me.

even after all these years, I still forget to grab my night guard on the way out of the bathroom after my last piddle before bed.

forgetting it is THE routine :)  

...and I realize my contacts are still in after I get in bed. (Keep my night guard by the bed.)

30 minutes ago, franklan said:

Forgetting the mobile phone in the jacket and going to sleep without plugging it in to charge...

And let's not forget the 50:50 chance of plugging in a usb-memory stick into the laptop, this is a 90:10 chance of doing it wrong to me...

images.jpg.451b1cacf7592d8ca4d0a97b5f797

11 hours ago, Techsmex said:

I'd have to say solving the Goldbach conjecture has eluded me.  (wink wink)

and still haven't found my true passion.. I love many things but have yet to find that one thing that I was born for.

I had to google that! :D Love it!