Even after all these years, I still...

350 posts in this topic

18 minutes ago, BradinBayern said:

That is the sort of thing I would like to promote.

Yes you need that sort of thing but you also need museums,theatres, etc etc you cannot exclude one type.

19 minutes ago, BradinBayern said:

Nowhere have I said that life skills, common sense etc are not useful.

As long as they don`t teach them in school you`re ok with them.

29 minutes ago, Keleth said:

Yes you need that sort of thing but you also need museums,theatres, etc etc you cannot exclude one type.

Which I never said.

30 minutes ago, Keleth said:

As long as they don`t teach them in school you`re ok with them.

Which I never said.  I just don't equate dead languages and archaic technology with life skills and common sense.  

1 hour ago, French bean said:

There were companies that took apprentices on and the first thing they did was to clean the Urinals, then like me they spent weeks filing a steel block square along with Maths and engineering theorey. To miss these important phases in skill development leads to piss poor performance in the workplace, the example of design engineers not taking into account the requirements of sevice engineers is a classic case and has been said for years. The Harrier VSTOL aircraft was such a pig to work on. Any one tried changing the dip beam bulbs on a Mk4 Golf?

This is the same for learning in schools. whether you agree with it or not, basic social skills, analytical and reasoning skills need to be learnt. Any one who studied history knows it's not about learning names and dates but understanding the chain of events and the consequences of those events, that requires basic analyticall skills. So while it's great to say only teach the skills you think are useful you miss so many other skills that are important to society as a whole. I suppose a good example is the old Soviet Union. People were taught under strict guidelines with minimal lateral thinking. While they could solder all day the same item what they produced was not only unrefined but in many cases lethal. Now what do you want, everyone to learn what you think is right or people to be taught the classics and broadening their minds for your benefit.

Which I never said.  I just do not agree that learning dead languages and archaic technology equate to learning basic social skills, analytical and reasoning skills. I don't agree that the "classics" are the only way, or even the best way to "broaden one's mind".   This is what you were taught and continue to parrot without questioning it which, ironically, shows the lack of critical thinking skills that you seem to want to promote..  There are much better subjects to teach these skills (such as Logic for one, and no, you don't need Ancient Greek first to study Logic).

You can teach music, just don't teach the lute or the harpsichord because it is "classic".  It is fine to teach the electric guitar.  

But critical thinking is what you need for every role in life and with critical thinking comes the ability to question.

Now let's see if you can work this out:

Head, Brick wall.

18 minutes ago, French bean said:

But critical thinking is what you need for every role in life and with critical thinking comes the ability to question.

Now let's see if you can work this out:

Head, Brick wall.

Very good, now strain yourself and explain why Latin and slide rules (or any dead and/or archaic skill) are necessary to learn critical thinking.  Bonus points if you can quote me anywhere where I said that critical thinking is not a necessary skill.  

Yes, I have already worked out that talking to you is like beating my head against the wall.   

2 hours ago, French bean said:

Learning the classics IS the basis of critical thinking.

Nope.  Critical thinking is based on Socrates and Plato, but did not stop there.  That is like saying that one must study Mozart in order to learn music.

1 hour ago, BradinBayern said:

Critical thinking is based on Socrates and Plato, but did not stop there.  That is like saying that one must study Mozart in order to learn music.

I could never take someone seriously if they said they had studied music but didnt know Mozart.  

please start another topic if you all want to continue with this conversation, otherwise, off-topic posts after this one will be removed.

Thanks in advance.

5 hours ago, dessa_dangerous said:

please start another topic if you all want to continue with this conversation, otherwise, off-topic posts after this one will be removed.

Thanks in advance.

DD is in the house!

awake and alert, good job