Even after all these years, I still...

324 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, BradinBayern said:

Yes, just like Tesla.  As opposed to your attempts to paint me as a Tesla fan boy, I too think that Musk has to produce a profit before he can claim to have revolutionized the auto industry.

He already did it.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-50598673

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-50563254

https://www.businessinsider.de/vw-making-huge-bet-on-electric-vehicles-in-next-decade-2019-11?r=US&IR=T

5 hours ago, BradinBayern said:

Time will tell.  However, I think he will and I think that eventually other companies that are now trying to copy him will be profitable too.   

It is about survival for the next 5 years, not profitability, for all auto brands.

27 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

It is about survival for the next 5 years, not profitability, for all auto brands.

The late Marchionne, former chairman of Fiat Chrysler said that in the near future there will only be about 5 motor manufacturers left. The development of EV's and the need to catch up with this technology is already hastening that process.

1 hour ago, Kommentarlos said:

People will also not need a working mind. 

That's right - the US got rid of working minds in 2016 and look how well that's going 🤦‍♀️

But, to return to the original topic: Even after 6 months of living here in Konstanz on the Swiss border, I have to laugh when I accidentally talk to an English speaker about "Schwitzerland" 😂

3 hours ago, Keleth said:

I presume you can cook but why bother learning the basic cooking skills when you can buy everything and stick it in the microwave.

I recently lived with some (female) students who did not know how to cook (because they had spent most of their young lives studying like mad, I get it). When they found out I could, they asked me to show them. ;)

So back to topic,

Even after all these years in Germany, I still drink beer, manage to pee in the bowl without getting the floor wet and get mixed up between scheibe and scheide

10 minutes ago, French bean said:

[..] and get mixed up between scheibe and scheide

You're not alone with that problem:

frostschutz.jpg.20d8cab497df81078b3c1a91

25 minutes ago, French bean said:

... mixed up between scheibe and scheide

That's what happens when you don't learn handwriting and just go straight to keyboards!

That'll learn you, young 'uns!:D

29 minutes ago, franklan said:

You're not alone with that problem:

frostschutz.jpg.20d8cab497df81078b3c1a91

Ah, women in Siberia buy this all the time 👻.

20 minutes ago, Boggsdollocks said:

That's what happens when you don't learn handwriting and just go straight to keyboards!

That'll learn you, young 'uns!:D

Actually with me it is age related, I'm just a senile oldish bugger

7 hours ago, French bean said:

If I want to sweep up a small mess on the floor, I don't get out our small robotic vacuum cleaner and having it whizz round for 30 minutes hoping it's picked up everything, I use a dustpan and brush.

I agree.  Likewise, sometimes all you need is a pencil and a piece of paper.  And legible handwriting.

8 hours ago, BradinBayern said:

Such as learning handwriting in order to learn how to solder or learning latin in order to practice medicine.  

That wasn`t his point at all.

You need some tactile skill to solder or stitch etc and his point was that handwriting is a good way to get that tactile skill.

Let`s not forget in school you have to teach kids a wide variety of things because they don`t yet know what they`re going to do for a living.

7 hours ago, Kommentarlos said:

People will also not need a working mind. Apparently they will all be voting for Brexit.

Or on the US side of things think Trump is a good thing.

8 hours ago, BradinBayern said:

Actually many robotic vacs can easily be converted to hand vacs for exactly that purpose.  

Eh ?

I presume he`s talking along the lines of a Roomba or somesuch.Not being at all sarcastic but how the hell do you do that ?

22 hours ago, Keleth said:

That wasn`t his point at all.

You need some tactile skill to solder or stitch etc and his point was that handwriting is a good way to get that tactile skill.

Let`s not forget in school you have to teach kids a wide variety of things because they don`t yet know what they`re going to do for a living.

Yes, that is exactly the point.  Handwriting is a good way to get a tactile skill.  I agree.  If you are referring to cursive, it is also entirely useless.  However soldering is BOTH a good way to get a tactile skill and learning to solder and to create circuits is many times more useful than learning cursive handwriting.  What you are basically arguing is that handwriting is a transferable skill, yet soldering isn't.  I assume you took handwriting class instead of logic. 

23 hours ago, Keleth said:

Eh ?

I presume he`s talking along the lines of a Roomba or somesuch.Not being at all sarcastic but how the hell do you do that ?

There is this magical new invention called "Google".  It is kinda like the Oracle in your ancient greek texts. Here, let me help you (not to be sarcastic at all):

https://uncrate.com/coral-one-robot-vacuum/

16 minutes ago, BradinBayern said:

Yes, that is exactly the point.  Handwriting is a good way to get a tactile skill.  I agree.  If you are referring to cursive, it is also entirely useless.  However soldering is BOTH a good way to get a tactile skill and learning to solder and to create circuits is many times more useful than learning cursive handwriting.  What you are basically arguing is that handwriting is a transferable skill, yet soldering isn't.  I assume you took handwriting class instead of logic. 

? handwriting is req'd by everyone as a form of communication, soldering and other worked based skills are only needed by those who use that particular skill for a particular job. Mind you a surgeon who has learned soldering might be good at cauterising I suppose.

Just now, French bean said:

? handwriting is req'd by everyone as a form of communication, soldering and other worked based skills are only needed by those who use that particular skill for a particular job. Mind you a surgeon who has learned soldering might be good at cauterising I suppose.

Handwriting yes.  Cursive no.  In a few years cursive will have gone the way of Sütterlin and good riddance. 

2 minutes ago, French bean said:

Actually a surgeon who has learned soldering would be good at prototyping new medical devices.