Schengen Visitor VISA cooling Period

21 posts in this topic

Hello Everyone,

I tried searching in all the forums, but couldn't actually find anything relevant or helpful.

Hence creating this new topic.

My question is, if my parents / relatives are here on a visitor Schengen VISA, and suppose they return back to their home country after 3 (90 days) months. Do they have to have a cooling period, before they would like to come back to Germany ?

If yes, how long is the cooling period ? Are there any multiple entry VISA options which lasts for a year ?

If you can share the information, when you know, would be very helpful.

As far as I am aware there is no cooling off period for single visas.  Each visa is judged on its own merits, which will factor in previous visas and trips made.

You can get multiple entry visas.  These allow you to spend up to 90 days in any 180 day period.  

Then you select either a 

• 1 year multi entry visa
  • 3 year multi entry visa
  • or 5 year multi entry visa

So with the 5 year visa you can enter as many times as you want for 5 years, as long as the 90 in 180 day rule is not broken.  

But these visas are normally aimed for business people.  So the conditions to fulfil them are stricter and they are more difficult to obtain, normally you have to prove why you need to enter and leave the Schengen area more often.  I'm not sure if visiting friends or family would qualify for this.  It might be best to talk to a friendly person in the embassy when applying for a normal visa next time to see how open they would be.

Also, it is often better to build up a good history.  A history of several single entry visas being successfully issued and fully conformed to (e.g.  left the Schengen zone well in time for the 90 days) shows that they are more trustworthy, and so if they then apply for a multi entry visa it is more likely to be granted.

My mother in the past worked for a Chinese company's office in the UK.  They would send Chinese nationals who were living in the UK to the Schengen area for business meetings with customers.  They always done it that for new people they first applied for a single entry visa.  Then would keep doing this 3 - 5 times for each trip they needed to take.  After that they would then apply for a 1 year multi entry visa, and then later a 3 year one.  So they built up trust over time, and this was for genuine business.

As their engineers used to travel mostly to Germany & France (but not exclusively) then they would apply via the French embassy as they found that the German authorities were less likely to issue multi-entry visas.  (But in your case this of course is not possible!)

Thank  you, @dj_jay_smith

However I am not clear with that 90 days rule within 180 days period. That's what I am trying to understand.

If the person is, let's say getting a 1 year multi-entry VISA. He/she stays for 60 days (2 months) and leaves Schengen.

Can he/she come back on the 4th Month.

For example: If the person enters Germany on 01.11 and leaves Schengen by 31.12 (60 days period), having a 1 year multi-entry visa. Can he/she return and enter Germany on 01.02 and stay upto 30.04 (90 days) ?

This is exactly where I am trying to understand the cooling off period.

3 minutes ago, NeilGuha said:

Thank  you, @dj_jay_smith

However I am not clear with that 90 days rule within 180 days period. That's what I am trying to understand.

If the person is, let's say getting a 1 year multi-entry VISA. He/she stays for 60 days (2 months) and leaves Schengen.

Can he/she come back on the 4th Month.

For example: If the person enters Germany on 01.11 and leaves Schengen by 31.12 (60 days period), having a 1 year multi-entry visa. Can he/she return and enter Germany on 01.02 and stay upto 30.04 (90 days) ?

The person is free to enter Schengen as many times as they wish during the visa period.  But the total amount of time that they spend in the Schengen period must not exceed 90 days within any 180 day period. (90 in 180 rule)

So in theory it is possible:

Enter Germany Stay for 60 days.

Leave on 31st October to visit UK

Re-enter Schengen on 1st November.

They must then leave the Schengen zone within 30 days, because that is the remaining time they have.  After this, they cannot enter the Schengen period again for at least 90 days otherwise they breach the 90 in 180 rule.

There is no cool off period per se.  Just the 90 in 180 rule.

Okay clear. Many thanks. 

So, the person can stay a max of 90 days within that 180 day cycle. Get out of schengen, before the 90days cycle is over and can re-enter schengen on the 100th day and stay for another 80days till the visa is valid. 

Is this the right understanding? 

Or I can make single entry visa for 90 days period and then re-apply for another single entry visa for 90days. Then this 90in 180 wouldn't be applicable, I suppose. 

44 minutes ago, NeilGuha said:

Get out of schengen, before the 90days cycle is over and can re-enter schengen on the 100th day and stay for another 80days till the visa is valid. 

That is not how I understood it. If they stayed before end of the 90 days and left. Then they cannot come back on day 100 because the 90 days for the current 180 window are already exhausted. After leaving, they would need to wait another 90 days so a total of 180 days are up, before the new 180 days window starts.

If you want all the detailed rules then you can read the handbook.  All 111 pages of it!

https://ec.europa.eu/home-affairs/sites/homeaffairs/files/policies/borders/docs/c_2010_1620_en.pdf

Or you can use this calculator to determine if you are conforming or not:

https://ec.europa.eu/home-affairs/content/visa-calculator_en

Basically the 180 day period is calculated from the first date of entry into the Schengen Zone:

So if your first entry date is on 1st March within the next 180 days.  So between 1st March and 28th August you may stay a maximum of 90 days.

Between 29. August and 25 February you may stay a maximum of another 90 days. etc.

If you first enter on 1st March.  Stay 90 days.  Get a new Visa.  Then you cannot enter until the end of that 180 days period even on this new Visa!  So not before 29th August.

If you first enter on 1st March.  Stay 90 days.  Get a new Visa.  Then enter with the new visa on the 1st October.  Then the 1st October becomes the new "first date of entry" and everything is calculated from this point onwards.

3 hours ago, NeilGuha said:

Okay clear. Many thanks. 

So, the person can stay a max of 90 days within that 180 day cycle. Get out of schengen, before the 90days cycle is over and can re-enter schengen on the 100th day and stay for another 80days till the visa is valid. 

Is this the right understanding? 

It's 90 days within any 180 cycle. You can reenter and exit any time you wish, but if you take any amount of continuous 180 days, there should not be more than 90 days presence inside this time period.

Also, the border agents can deny admission if they suspect the purpose of your visit is not what was declared during the visa application. The system is less flexible than US, unfortunately.

6 hours ago, NeilGuha said:

For example: If the person enters Germany on 01.11 and leaves Schengen by 31.12 (61 days period), having a 1 year multi-entry visa. Can he/she return and enter Germany on 01.02 and stay upto 30.04 (90 days) ?

No they cannot come on 1.02 and stay upto 90 days but they can stay for 29 days (since they stayed 60 days before)

The 180 days period  is a moving window, so Always calculate backwards 180 days from the day of your planned entry and count how many days the Person stayed.

so in your case on 1st February going back 180 days would be 1st August of previous year and your parents have already stayed 61 days from 1st November to 31st December.

This is per my understanding….someone can correct me if wrong.

On 10/31/2019, 12:49:31, dj_jay_smith said:

If you want all the detailed rules then you can read the handbook.  All 111 pages of it!

https://ec.europa.eu/home-affairs/sites/homeaffairs/files/policies/borders/docs/c_2010_1620_en.pdf

Or you can use this calculator to determine if you are conforming or not:

https://ec.europa.eu/home-affairs/content/visa-calculator_en

Basically the 180 day period is calculated from the first date of entry into the Schengen Zone:

So if your first entry date is on 1st March within the next 180 days.  So between 1st March and 28th August you may stay a maximum of 90 days.

Between 29. August and 25 February you may stay a maximum of another 90 days. etc.

If you first enter on 1st March.  Stay 90 days.  Get a new Visa.  Then you cannot enter until the end of that 180 days period even on this new Visa!  So not before 29th August.

If you first enter on 1st March.  Stay 90 days.  Get a new Visa.  Then enter with the new visa on the 1st October.  Then the 1st October becomes the new "first date of entry" and everything is calculated from this point onwards.

Okay, this is what I was trying to understand.

So it's of no use to get a 180 days visa, if they can't stay more than 90 days, then it won't be of much help. In that case, it's better to have a single entry visa for 90 days and then renew the visa.

Thank you, Gentlemen.

I think I have made the decision, I will go with single entry visas. Then I don't need to have the 180 days calculations done. It might cost a little more, but at this moment, time window is more important for me, than the cost.

2 hours ago, NeilGuha said:

Thank you, Gentlemen.

I think I have made the decision, I will go with single entry visas. Then I don't need to have the 180 days calculations done. It might cost a little more, but at this moment, time window is more important for me, than the cost.

That might not actually help you!

There is the "validly of the visa" and the "maximum duration of stay" which are separate things.

So if you get a visa that is valid for 90 days it does not mean that you could stay for all of those 90 days.  But it could be limited to 30 or  days within the 90 day period.

Plus:  I think it is unlikely that the authorities would allow you to have a 90 day visa which you then renew for another 90 days immediately afterwards.  They might then enforce the 90 in 180 rule.

If people want to stay in the Schengen longer than this then a they would need a different type of visa.  The ones we are talking about now are short stay visas, not designed for people who want to spend 6 continuous months (or more) in a country.

1 hour ago, dj_jay_smith said:

There is the "validly of the visa" and the "maximum duration of stay" which are separate things.

So if you get a visa that is valid for 90 days it does not mean that you could stay for all of those 90 days.  But it could be limited to 30 or  days within the 90 day period.

Plus:  I think it is unlikely that the authorities would allow you to have a 90 day visa which you then renew for another 90 days immediately afterwards.  They might then enforce the 90 in 180 rule.

If people want to stay in the Schengen longer than this then a they would need a different type of visa.  The ones we are talking about now are short stay visas, not designed for people who want to spend 6 continuous months (or more) in a country.

Would a "family reunion Visa" (assuming it exists) help?

4 hours ago, NeilGuha said:

Okay, this is what I was trying to understand.

So it's of no use to get a 180 days visa, if they can't stay more than 90 days, then it won't be of much help. In that case, it's better to have a single entry visa for 90 days and then renew the visa.

You should apply for German national visa which allows stays more than 90 days in Germany, but in Schengen outside Germany you will still be limited to 90 days.

On 11/3/2019, 2:36:18, yourkeau said:

You should apply for German national visa which allows stays more than 90 days in Germany, but in Schengen outside Germany you will still be limited to 90 days.

Ahh that definitely helps.

If I am not planning to go outside Germany, then I can get the National visa for more number of days in Germany. That sounds very good for me as well.

On 11/3/2019, 2:10:39, UpToWick said:

Would a "family reunion Visa" (assuming it exists) help?

Not sure, if that would permit a visa for more than 90 days.

My whole and sole requirement is more number of days, within Germany. I don't care about the type of visa, as long as it provides the max number of days to stay within Germany.

On 11/3/2019, 12:44:19, dj_jay_smith said:

Understand. I will check on the option of National VISA, as stated by "yourkeau". This would definitely help.

I don't need a schengen visa as such, as the plan is not to go out of Germany anyway.

6 hours ago, NeilGuha said:

My whole and sole requirement is more number of days, within Germany. I don't care about the type of visa, as long as it provides the max number of days to stay within Germany.

The maximum is 90 days within 180 days. Is that really so difficult to understand? 

Keep in mind that there is no guarantee that your relatives will even be granted a visa and very often the decision hinges on whether or not the official processing the application believes the applicants will return home after the visa expires.