Language School Visa Expiring Soon, Want to Start Working, Job Seeker Visa Possible? Or Other Options?

8 posts in this topic

As the title suggests, I am currently here on a language school visa, which is expiring in mid-November. I started looking for jobs a few weeks ago but haven't found anything yet so I am exploring my options to stay in the country to continue looking for a job. I was planning on getting the "Job Seeker" visa next but I can't figure out if I am able to after I'm here on a different visa (it is unclear and inconsistent from the government and other websites). Does anyone know if it is possible?

If not, what are my options? I am an American Data Science professional with several years of experience and a Bachelor's degree in Business Informatics from a top-ranked university.

I really appreciate any help or guidance anyone can provide. Thank you!!

It is possible. A friend of mine has done it. He couldn't have found a job before his language school visa expired, and towards the end of his duration, he applied for a job seeker visa and received it. The only thing to consider is that, he wasn't allowed to apply for this visa in Germany, and was told, he could only apply it from his home country, which he then did. 

As you are American, it could perhaps be possible to file the application without leaving, but needs to be confirmed.

I also understood you have to apply for the job seeker visa from your home country otherwise too many people would enter the country with a language school visa although the first objective is to land a job here.

22 minutes ago, TurMech said:

It is possible. A friend of mine has done it. He couldn't have found a job before his language school visa expired, and towards the end of his duration, he applied for a job seeker visa and received it.

Amazing! This is exactly my situation and such a relief. Thank you for your quick response!

6 minutes ago, LukeSkywalker said:

otherwise too many people would enter the country with a language school visa although the first objective is to land a job here.

I think a lot of people are doing that anyway because you are able to get a visa for one year vs six months (and the work restrictions are the same) and depending on what industry you are in, you might need German language skills to get a job.

Either way, it's fine for me to leave the country and come back with a new visa (though it's obviously not ideal) -- I was just super worried that I would have to wait three-plus months as I have a lease and other commitments here.

3 hours ago, zacheism said:

Either way, it's fine for me to leave the country and come back with a new visa (though it's obviously not ideal) -- I was just super worried that I would have to wait three-plus months as I have a lease and other commitments here.

Check whether you really need to apply from outside Germany.  I doubt it since the US are among the priviledged countries.

4 minutes ago, ddrreedd said:

I think that US citizens do not need visa or work permit, but I am not sure.

Prove it. I sure did.

On 10/28/2019, 1:18:45, zacheism said:

Either way, it's fine for me to leave the country and come back with a new visa (though it's obviously not ideal) 

afaik you don't have to leave the country to get a new permit, as americans are in the group of citizens with "special" rights to apply from within Germany 

but you sure as hell do need a residence permit