I'm really tired of the state of the Internet in this country

41 posts in this topic

I am quite happy with O2 vDSL, at 30 euro a month and 50 MB download, it's really fast enough, and they allow SIP VOIP. The only problem is my slow VPN

Seems to work all the time, only had one or 2 problems in years of use

Just now, fraufruit said:

While I know nothing about Starlink, it might be interesting for ships and sailors.

I thought it was aimed at countries without much cable already installed, or difficult to reach places, of course ships etc

Ideal for Africa etc, but at those prices I guess they are not going to be buying it

I am quite happy with my DSL connection in Munich, cannot see why to change at the moment. I can stream in HD, why/what else do I need a faster connection, if I want it I can go as faster as 250 MB, but cannot see a use case for it, maybe if buy a 4 K TV, dunno. But normal TV does not come in 4 K.

47 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

While I know nothing about Starlink, it might be interesting for ships and sailors.

Unfortunately not.  (Starlink FAQ)

Can I travel with Starlink, or move it to a different address?

Starlink satellites are scheduled to send internet down to all users within a designated area on the ground. This designated area is referred to as a cell.

Your Starlink is assigned to a single cell. If you move your Starlink outside of its assigned cell, a satellite will not be scheduled to serve your Starlink and you will not receive internet. This is constrained by geometry and is not arbitrary geofencing.

You can also get gigacube from vodafone at normal internet prices or similar from telekom.  Supposedly they work on a sim card but I've heard they don't work everywhere none the less.  The advantage is that you can take them with you if you move without waiting for an internet provider to hook you up.

18 minutes ago, LeonG said:

You can also get gigacube from vodafone at normal internet prices or similar from telekom.  Supposedly they work on a sim card but I've heard they don't work everywhere none the less.  The advantage is that you can take them with you if you move without waiting for an internet provider to hook you up.

Drive to Haimhausen, just north of Unterschleissheim. You can't even get 3G there!

1 hour ago, yesterday said:

I am quite happy with my DSL connection in Munich, cannot see why to change at the moment. I can stream in HD, why/what else do I need a faster connection, if I want it I can go as faster as 250 MB, but cannot see a use case for it, maybe if buy a 4 K TV, dunno. But normal TV does not come in 4 K.

4K Netflix or Amazon is something like 12-15Mb (or was when I tested it a couple of years ago), and HD is only 5-6. At the time I had proper fibre to the home with 1Gb/s connect - or in other words I could have watched 66 4K TVs simultaneously - or 166 in HD.

It's a bit hard to imagine any real purpose of >50Mb (which is what I have here too). 

I found this about Starlink. Not sure why you'd want something like this over any kind of cable:

https://www.reviews.org/internet-service/spacex-starlink-satellite-internet-review/

15 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

Drive to Haimhausen, just north of Unterschleissheim. You can't even get 3G there!

Since it's pretty far for me to drive, I'll just take your word for it :) 

I've toyed with the idea of a gigacube in the past because I travel for work but it would be just my luck to then end up in a place where it doesn't work.

20 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

I can't get 1G in my Wohnung at the moment.

And pretty soon nobody will get 3G as it's being switched off end of June.

LeonG,

You mentioned the Vodafone GigaCube in your post above.  I have the GigaCube FLEX - 50Gb/month for 35 Euro.  The advantage to the FLEX plan is you are charged only when you use the device. 

I travel to Berlin a couple times a year and this works out perfect for me.  When I'm not in Berlin, the GigaCube is unplugged and does not cost me anything.  

S.

1 hour ago, MikeMelga said:

I wonder how the Bavarian International School can function then.

2 hours ago, Dembo said:

It's a bit hard to imagine any real purpose of >50Mb (which is what I have here too). 

We need around 70Mbps optimal for our normal home office. We have 25-35, which is clearly insufficient.

When I am dealing with large files, I would need something around 400Mbps. I need to transfer 7.2GB (individual) files once in a while.

I found this about Starlink. Not sure why you'd want something like this over any kind of cable:

https://www.reviews.org/internet-service/spacex-starlink-satellite-internet-review/

Because in the vast majority of Germany you can't get 150Mbps!

1 hour ago, fraufruit said:

I wonder how the Bavarian International School can function then.

Dedicated line. Even in the best place on the planet, something that big needs a dedicated line.

But as soon as you sail out of your dedicated foot print, you are screwed.. 

Plus. It's Transmission frequency is so low it will travel well, but data rate will be quite slow 

I have fiber optic vodafone with 250mbits down and 50mbits up with TV for 50Euro per month. Two weeks ago connection become unstable , they say that it's because of some random interfere. They are still fixing it :wacko:

My formerly excellent 100 mbit/s connection became way less stable right after lockdown started.

I wonder why... :(

/s

We have M-Net fiber to the basement and VDSL from there to the apartment.  100mbps down, 50mbps up. 

Perfectly splendid, and when I need to send 7-Gigabyte files through VPN to the server farm it goes faster than when I'm in the office.