I'm really tired of the state of the Internet in this country

42 posts in this topic

Since Friday evening my Mnet connections is not working anymore...there is DSL signal, but it can't establish an IPV4 connection.

The Mnet customer service told me I have to wait until Monday when somebody looks at it...I suppose the concept of "on-call" hasn't yet arrived here.

It's just one of the many example of the crap state of the internet infrastructure, in this country of lawyers and mechanical engineers..

Mobile internet is also worse than many developing countries I've been...

I've been here 21 years now and fortunately never suffered problems like those often reported on TT.

For the first few years I was with Telekom and lived just outside Munich. I hated Telekom, not for lousy service as it was reasonable, but I didn't like their prices and felt I could do better.

When we moved to Erding I swapped to 1&1 and the only problems I experienced were two outages in 11 years; one for about half a day, the other for just a couple of hours.

This April I had to move again and the place I found is in a small village of 300 inhabitants a few km north of Landshut.

Obviously I asked if 1&1 could supply service here and two weeks later, just 3 days before I actually moved in the engineer came to connect the service. after half an hour all was running smoohtly.

My neighbour had been there for around 6 months and was still without internet. They'd tried so many companies and none could supply an internet connection. Telekom had supposedly tried a few times over 3-4 months and still no internet. I recommended 1&1, they got a contract and within 2-3 weeks their internet connection was up and running.

I know many people have bad experiences with 1&1, but for me only positive.

As for MNet; I've only known one other person with them (in Erding) and they were never really happy. When they moved back to UK, cancelling the contract was a real pain and expensive.

Currently, VDSL with 1&1 is fast enough for me and so far totally reliable. When I upload changes to my website the speed is faster than anything I've had previously so all I can say is that my experience with 'German internet' is pretty good bearing in mind my website currently has about 200 pages some of which are quite large and loads of photos. Overall the site has 4500 files and around 250MB.

3 minutes ago, Malt-Teaser said:

My neighbour had been there for around 6 months and was still without internet. They'd tried so many companies and none could supply an internet connection. Telekom had supposedly tried a few times over 3-4 months and still no internet. I recommended 1&1, they got a contract and within 2-3 weeks their internet connection was up and running.

I think that's the key point there.   You find "some weeks" to get your service running acceptable.   But some people come from countries where you get your service up and running quite fast, and they they are not trapped in rollover contracts that are hard to cancel even if they do not provide the service they promised.   Back in my "developing country" you can get the service up and running in one or two days, sometimes even in the same day.

I have no problem with things here because I've been here for long enough, I have accepted how things are and I can plan accordingly and I speak the language to complain when things are not working, but a newcomer "expat" has to face a different scenario.   And they (wrongly) expect that things are at least as good as back home.

1 hour ago, fraufruit said:

Another 1 & 1 happy customer. We've had it for yonks. I particularly like the free phone calls in Europe and to the U.S. etc.

Me too, but as many times in the past I’ve just been though a ritual with them: quit the contract 3 months before the two years are due, call to confirm, get offered a new deal and happily accept. This time €205 in savings and free IP-TV on top. It really shouldn’t be necessary. They’re all the same or worse though.

I haven't had major problems in 8 years in this apartment.  only major glitch was when a tenant moved out, they apparently disconnected my dsl instead of theirs.  Same thing happened to me in the US multiple times so it was not so surprising to me.  They fixed it within two or three working days, and I didn't even have to be at home (unlike the US) 

there was also some weirdness with the upgrade to vdsl - I got a text saying something like "the upgrade is complete, everything should be working, but don't reply to this text if it's not"  On a lark, after about 10 hours of outage, I replied to the text anyway, saying it wasn't working and bam.  Fixed :)  maybe coincidence?  don't care.  it started working again without any kerfuffel.

that's with the allegedly evil O2 who inherited my contract from Alice.  To their credit, I was worried they would try to pull a fast one on me, change the terms or something, but nope, they didn't try any funny business.

Especially compared to the drama that is US connectivity, I have no complaints about the service here.  Is it blazing fast?  I have no earthly idea as it works for what I want/need.  No problem watching netflix in HD, that's the most I need from it. it's perfectly fine.

The OP has a point. Germany is ranked 27th in the list of countries with fast internet: https://seasia.co/2019/07/12/rank-of-countries-with-fastest-and-slowest-internet-in-the-world-2019

I visited Turkmenistan (rank 203rd with 0,7 MBPS, yes you read it right). Boy, that was slow: it took ages before I was able to enter something in Google and then it took some minutes before I was able to click on the website.

Sigh..I still remember the telegram days, typewriters ( I typed my MA dissertation on it! ), no mobile phones, phone booths out in the streets and putting coins into them in a vandalised, pee-ridden booth (whilst swearing about British Gas..)

We had time in those days to look for coins! None of those Brexit Euro coins back then!!!

:)

On 28/10/2019, 15:13:13, Malt-Teaser said:

Currently, VDSL with 1&1 is fast enough for me and so far totally reliable. When I upload changes to my website the speed is faster than anything I've had previously so all I can say is that my experience with 'German internet' is pretty good bearing in mind my website currently has about 200 pages some of which are quite large and loads of photos. Overall the site has 4500 files and around 250MB.

I need to say I am amused that in the thread where people complain of the state of the ISP infrastructure in Germany one of the big points is someone who runs fairly big web site apparently without CMS but uploading modified HTML files to the server.

On 10/28/2019, 8:06:44, LukeSkywalker said:

The OP has a point. Germany is ranked 27th in the list of countries with fast internet: https://seasia.co/2019/07/12/rank-of-countries-with-fastest-and-slowest-internet-in-the-world-2019

This study is a complete joke. Says nothing about absolute fastest speeds, costs, ease of installation, etc.

In Portugal you can get much faster cable/4G internet, the prices are much lower and the QoS is much higher. You can cancel your contract at any point and you can get a new installation in 2 days! There is no monopoly controlling which ISP you can have on your apartment.

Still, on that study, it is shown well below Germany.

I've found that it takes ages to get hooked up here but once you are hooked up the service is pretty reliable. I had Kabel Deutschland fór about 6 years and now Telekom for the past 4.

Starlink just sent me an email saying they are starting business in Germany in Q3 or Q4 and I can already order it.

Price is quite steep for the moment, so I will pass.

It's 99€ per month for speeds up to 150Mb/s and latency down to 20ms.

As I currently get around 35Mb/s for 45€, it does not pay off, but if you live in a poor coverage area, it's tempting.

Prices will come down eventually, right now they are targeting people in remote areas who will pay anything...

https://www.starlink.com/

28 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

Starlink just sent me an email saying they are starting business in Germany in Q3 or Q4 and I can already order it.

Price is quite steep for the moment, so I will pass.

It's 99€ per month for speeds up to 150Mb/s and latency down to 20ms.

As I currently get around 35Mb/s for 45€, it does not pay off, but if you live in a poor coverage area, it's tempting.

Prices will come down eventually, right now they are targeting people in remote areas who will pay anything...

https://www.starlink.com/

That's extremelly expensive. I pay an average of €30/month since several years with 1&1 for 100 Mb/s down and 40 Mb/s up. I just need to cancel and promtply get offered new client conditions once every two years. The signal is also excellent as far as I can judge it (we stream TV, I work at home, frequent video calls, connected house, basically everything except online gaming).

32 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

right now they are targeting people in remote areas who will pay anything...

because they don't get anything. Can't really compare to those of us who have decent internet. 

If ours was terrible, we'd probably pay.

Then there are those with too much money who just want to say they have Starlink.

@fraufruit, @mtbiking

The problem is a surprising one. Their upfront cost is not the satellites. It's the router!

The current routers cost $2500 to manufacture!!!!

They are "selling" them for 500€, which clearly does not pay for the equipment. Then they need to increase the monthly price to pay off.

This means more than 2 years of service just to pay the router, it's not a viable business.

Eventually they will be able to bring down the router cost and together with that, the monthly fee.

In the meantime, they will make a fortune with high frequency traders and make some money out of people without viable alternative.

22 minutes ago, mtbiking said:

That's extremelly expensive. I pay an average of €30/month since several years with 1&1 for 100 Mb/s down and 40 Mb/s up. I just need to cancel and promtply get offered new client conditions once every two years. The signal is also excellent as far as I can judge it (we stream TV, I work at home, frequent video calls, connected house, basically everything except online gaming).

Well, I am within Munich and my internet is crap, averages around 25Mb download. It's not good enough for home office. Add remote school and it simply does not work. But 99€ does not justify upgrade.

I'm lucky, I guess? I live 25 km East of Munich, ISP is Vodafone. We have 500Mbit/s download, and 25Mbit/s up. Introductory (for the first 6 months) rate is 19,99 € per month, after that you pay 44,99€ a month. I think that's fair. 

We've had a few hick-ups - like entire days without internet - but when that happens, we just tether to our O2 phones and work our home-office jobs just fine. 

Starlink is a satellite based solution - may be the only option in some remote desert place on the globe. 

I have Telekom now.  I pay 47 something a month for 50mbit and although I am sure I could get a better deal somewhere else, I can't be bothered to change providers.  When I moved here almost 6 yrs. ago I tried to take a Kabel D connection with me which turned into a nightmare and no internet for about 3 months.  I have no strange hick ups like entire days without internet.