Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

MWR / German Tax ID?

3 posts in this topic

Hi there!

I was wondering whether there might be someone from MWR (ideally Outdoor Recreation) present here. I have sold them bikes for their rental fleet at Kelley before, but now they're considering the option of leasing electric bikes.

I know that they've got some germans on their staff but even my contact at OR Kelley was unsure, whether they've got a german tax ID and his boss is kinda hard to get a hold of. Maybe someone here on the forum has been involved in something similar before or can at least tell me, whether each installations MWR branch (or the party ultimately responsible for the payment) actually has a german tax ID. The leasing providers I've talked to never dealt with leasing to US Forces before, though they've told me it should be doable in theory, as long as they're provided with a german tax ID.

Regards

Patrick

I assume the German tax ID is to pass on the VAT? Probably not possible for "long-term contracts" like a lease. Leasing an entire fleet of bikes is certainly different than a soldier buying a recurring (German) cell phone contract but the same rules likely apply? I guess they could provide you with a VAT form with every monthly payment though, in that case they wouldn't need a German tax ID as the VAT exemption is via the SOFA.

On 27.10.2019, 10:55:18, danielg said:

I assume the German tax ID is to pass on the VAT? Probably not possible for "long-term contracts" like a lease. Leasing an entire fleet of bikes is certainly different than a soldier buying a recurring (German) cell phone contract but the same rules likely apply? I guess they could provide you with a VAT form with every monthly payment though, in that case they wouldn't need a German tax ID as the VAT exemption is via the SOFA.

The tax ID isn't required due to the VAT. No leasing provider I knwo will do business with someone unless there's a german tax ID. A unit purchase using VAT forms won't work, because we wouldn't receive any payment from MWR.

When it comes to leasing contracts, we get the money from the leasing provider and they receive their monthly payments from the party that's leasing the bikes.

How the VAT would be handled in case a leasing is possible is another, rather complicated question. Though that's something the leasing provider and MWR would have to discuss.