Non-Smoking Bars/Kneipe in Hamburg (Lack of)

47 posts in this topic

Has anybody else experienced real problems finding somewhere you can go for a swift half or glass of wine without getting smoke blown in your ear or having to sit in a restaurant?  The law in Hamburg seems to be incredibly tolerant to smokers and about 20 years behind most of Europe. I think if the establishment is less than 75 sq.m. , is not serving food, and has the necessary signs on the door, its completly up to the landlord. As there are very few bars more than 75 sq.m,. that gives smokers pretty much a monopoly in large swathes of the city. In particular, if you want to watch live Sky football its virtually impossible in the east of the city.  A landlord in Barmbek virtually admitted as much to me. Even the tourist information struggled to find any addresses, without involving a trek into the city centre or Altona. 

Of course, sitting in a restaurant is smoke free, but if you are on your own and just wanting a beer, its not that sociable sitting alone at a table. The Irish pubs are an option in the city centre, but being in Germany, you'd have hoped its possible to find places with some local authenticity. 

Or maybe, they are just not bothered about the health risks or having clothing that stinks. 

I totally agree. Most of the good bars here are smoking bars. I don't know why they don't just ban smoking altogether. It clearly works in other cities in the world. A bar I drink in is non smoking...until 5pm when people are allowed smoke then inside. Who makes up these stupid rules? Sometimes I feel I'm the only person not smoking in some bars. It's disgusting!

Feel free to post any good non-smoking bars here that you find

Give smokers a break, there are few places (in the world) these days where you can have a smoke and a drink. If you don't like the atmosphere go somewhere else there are plenty of alternatives, unlike a few years ago the tables have turned.

From a tolerant non-smoker!

Well sure, if you go to Kult...which is a cool place by the way,

I don't think you can smoke in Same Same or Schramme, Frau Muller is another option

I have ever been, but I've heard people talking about  Bucks Sportsbar.

and, of course, one of my favorites is M&V for a casual drink.

1 hour ago, keith2011 said:

Give smokers a break, there are few places (in the world) these days where you can have a smoke and a drink. If you don't like the atmosphere go somewhere else there are plenty of alternatives, unlike a few years ago the tables have turned.

From a tolerant non-smoker!

WTF. the op couldn't be any clearer and Hamburg is not the world is it 'Mr tolerant, I can't read, non smoker'.

I mean, what part of their post did you not understand? Oh let me answer that for you, all of it. :lol:

Schramme, Frau Möller and Bucks all serve food so they're going to be non smoking.

And keith2011, we're talking about bars in Hamburg, not Munich!

39 minutes ago, Sir Percy B said:

WTF. the op couldn't be any clearer and Hamburg is not the world is it 'Mr tolerant, I can't read, non smoker'.

I mean, what part of their post did you not understand? Oh let me answer that for you, all of it. :lol:

Since you failed to notice I was actually responding to the post from @True Believer not the OP, I do believe that is allowed, even for tolerant non-smokers.:lol:

I will quote that post below just in case you can't find it again.

3 hours ago, True Believer said:

I totally agree. Most of the good bars here are smoking bars. I don't know why they don't just ban smoking altogether. It clearly works in other cities in the world. A bar I drink in is non smoking...until 5pm when people are allowed smoke then inside. Who makes up these stupid rules? Sometimes I feel I'm the only person not smoking in some bars. It's disgusting!

Feel free to post any good non-smoking bars here that you find

21 minutes ago, True Believer said:

And keith2011, we're talking about bars in Hamburg, not Munich!

indeed, there are very few smoking bars in Munich.  Almost none that I know of.

@keith2011 it really doesn't matter who you responded to (nevermind the fact you didn't quote the person you responded to, so we would have no earthly way of knowing). They were both declaring their frustration with finding non-smoking bars in Hamburg, which indicates they actually do have such a problem up there.  End of.

Even when I smoked I hated smoking bars.  Just awful.  It's a matter of personal taste or health concerns, not really about "tolerance".

16 minutes ago, lisa13 said:

Likewise here in Berlin the most are just for the locals selling cheep beer.

I can't even take my son for a Beer in the local Irish bar as that's strictly for over 18's due to it being a smokers bar.

32 minutes ago, keith2011 said:

Since you failed to notice I was actually responding to the post from @True Believer not the OP, I do believe that is allowed, even for tolerant non-smokers.:lol:

It doesn't matter who your were replying to, the Op or True Believer, they both commented on the lack of non smoking bars and you throw in the 'Give smokers a break', exactly where's the link with your statement and the discussion at hand.

8 minutes ago, lisa13 said:

@keith2011 it really doesn't matter who you responded to. They were both declaring their frustration with finding non-smoking bars in Hamburg, which indicates they actually do have such a problem up there.  End of.

Even when I smoked I hated smoking bars.  Just awful.  It's a matter of personal taste or health concerns, not really about "tolerance".

I don't know Munich, so maybe its a completly different situation there. All part of living in a Federal country. I know NRW quite well, and there finding a smoking bar is the exception. 

I'm certainly not against smoking bars, but the local laws need to respect smoking and non-smoking alike. 

In Hamburg, its too heavily biased towards smokers. The landlords are too scared about losing their regulars, so its the easy option to make it a smoking bar.  I know Schramm and Frau Moller, but both involve 30 minute journeys for me on the U Bahn, ridiculous distance to go for a drink in a major city. One place I can watch Sky football smoke-free is actually a sport club cantine, but unbelievably when I got onto the subject with the owner, he said he was considering allowing smoking, as it "was more sociable"??! And that in a sports club canteen! 

1 minute ago, alexunterwegs said:

The landlords are too scared about losing their regulars,

As they were in Munich when the ban was imposed. Didn't happen. I maintain that they got more custom due to the ban.

12 minutes ago, lisa13 said:

@keith2011 it really doesn't matter who you responded to (nevermind the fact you didn't quote the person you responded to, so we would have no earthly way of knowing). They were both declaring their frustration with finding non-smoking bars in Hamburg, which indicates they actually do have such a problem up there.  End of.

I stand corrected ref. failing to quote but some of the wording in the response by @True Believer for example "ban smoking altogether", "stupid rules" and "disgusting", is far from being tolerant.

So is it OK to be intolerant to smokers abiding by the rules and not OK to defend them?

oh stop

you're still framing this as intolerance towards smokers.  Germany is not generally intolerant towards smokers at all.

the core of the issue is intolerance (if you must use that word) of SMOKE.  non-smoker or even smoker, many people do not like to be stuck in a smoky room when they're trying to enjoy a drink.  Some people actually CAN'T put themselves in an environment like that.  

23 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

As they were in Munich when the ban was imposed. Didn't happen. I maintain that they got more custom due to the ban.

yes.  I think the main negative side effect is having a lot of people now smoking on the street in front of bars at night, and of course they're talking and laughing which often disturbs the neighbors.  Been yelled at (just for being in the group outside) a few times for that :/

but maybe it was like that before the ban, too?  was it?

Again, the smoking ban works in other countries so why can't it work here? Yeah there'll be a few problems at the start like in other countries with the ban and landlords might lose a few customers but they'll come back. They just have to enforce the rule. People will get used to it.

What I've noticed before at Hamburg at a concert where they'd put up 'NO SMOKING' signs is that some idiot will usually light up a smoke and then that seems to be the green light for all other smokers to light up too and nothing happens and then it's just another smelly smokey venue. In other countries where the smoking ban is in place, the bar/venue gets a fine if they allow smoking so they enforce the rule. And it works!

And as for my choice of words "ban smoking altogether", "stupid rules" and "disgusting", I fully stand by them.

And don't get my started on the vaping dickheads……….

28 minutes ago, lisa13 said:

you're still framing this as intolerance towards smokers.  Germany is not generally intolerant towards smokers at all.

I think there is a real problem in Hamburg (can't speak for the rest of Germany). With the younger generation it's probably got something to do with "coolness", and for the older ones, they just got hooked.  Therefore, I think the bar owners would probably lose customers if the smoking laws got tougher. 

I don't know what went wrong with the authorities public information campaigns that seemed to work in other countries. Cigarette packets are plastered with lots of gruesome images, but you still see large billboards with happy trendy groups having a fag.