Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

True Confessions

75 posts in this topic

oh!  I almost forgot this one.  I may have confessed it before somewhere but I still feel very ambivalent about it:

 

I was in a hoity toity food shop which has a nice cafe, so I had a bite to eat. The server was kind of a jerk, and at some point she just started ignoring me completely.  I wanted to pay but could not get her attention in spite of the fact I was sitting at the counter and she kept zipping by.  I finally asked another server for the check.  He said she was the only one handling payments but he'd tell her.  15 minutes later, I asked another server for the check.  He said something similar.  after another 15 minutes or so, I spotted her laughing and drinking champagne with some of the other guests and said fuck it.  I'm done.

 

I casually got up.  Took my groceries to the check out, paid for those and left.

 

Not a proud moment but ffs there are limits.

6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I dressed up like Aunt Jemima for a Halloween party in the 80's - blackface and all. I thought I was imitating a cultural icon who we all grew up with. I confess that I still don't feel bad about it but of course would never do it again. Didn't know I was offending anyone.

 

jemima.jpg.3f6da6dec1a9cd449f45784c8c06d

7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, lisa13 said:

oh!  I almost forgot this one.  I may have confessed it before somewhere but I still feel very ambivalent about it:

 

I was in a hoity toity food shop which has a nice cafe, so I had a bite to eat. The server was kind of a jerk, and at some point she just started ignoring me completely.  I wanted to pay but could not get her attention in spite of the fact I was sitting at the counter and she kept zipping by.  I finally asked another server for the check.  He said she was the only one handling payments but he'd tell her.  15 minutes later, I asked another server for the check.  He said something similar.  after another 15 minutes or so, I spotted her laughing and drinking champagne with some of the other guests and said fuck it.  I'm done.

 

I casually got up.  Took my groceries to the check out, paid for those and left.

 

Not a proud moment but ffs there are limits.

 

Serves her right!

 

A few years ago a group of us work colleagues would go to the same restaurant for lunch several times a week, so they knew us well.

One day they were very busy, and we kept asking and asking and asking for the bill, but it never came.

 

So we got up and walked away.  They soon spotted us and came chasing after us.  But unlike you, we had calculated the amount and left it on the table.  Once they realised then they were OK and every time after that we got the bill very quickly!

4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

I work in an office building which is shared with many companies.  There is a canteen on the ground floor which is open to the public but they are cashless so you have to load a card with money and use that to pay.  As we are in the same building then our access cards also double in this way and our company supplements the canteen to a value of 3 euros per day which is automatically deducted from our bill when paying.

 

About 1 year ago when paying they made a mistake and I wasn't charged at all.  I, being a good citizen, pointed this out to them and they charged it again.  But this time the 3 euros was not subtracted and I was charged the full amount.  I complained, they recognised the mistake, but as they were busy even the manager couldn't do anything at the time and told me they would sort it out the next day (they recognised me).

 

But It took around 2-3 weeks to get sorted out!  And even then they couldn't give me the 3 euros back exactly so I might have been slightly worse off or better off (it wasn't possible to tell but would be in the 20c range so I didn't worry about it I was just happy it was finally resolved).

 

A month ago, the same thing happened and the machine didn't charge me.  Given the hassle I had the previous time I just didn't tell them!

It is only in the range of 2.5 -> 3.2 Euros, so hardly a large amount.  But I didn't want to risk having the same problem and go through the hassle again!

5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Didn´t there use to be a rule in Germany that if you asked for a bill and you waited half an hour for it you could leave without paying?

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If there's not, there should be!

 

I remember a rumor of a similar law when I lived in California, but even if it's true, it's hard to prove how long you were waiting and you could still face a scene if they chase after you.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, dj_jay_smith said:

A month ago, the same thing happened and the machine didn't charge me.  Given the hassle I had the previous time I just didn't tell them!

It is only in the range of 2.5 -> 3.2 Euros, so hardly a large amount.  But I didn't want to risk having the same problem and go through the hassle again!

 

omg that reminds me of something similar. 

 

I had so many problems with my first employer in Germany related to my pay.  They screwed up my paycheck on several occasions and sometimes it was not by small amounts.  Once it was in their favor, once in my favor, and both times I spent way too much time helping them fix it with payments back and forth that never turned out right.  and worse, this was all just basic math stuff and I had to argue with them endlessly that their basic math was extraordinarily wrong (as it was).  Really silly and very unpleasant.

 

Then it came to a case where I had recommended a person who got hired, and there was a signing bonus paid to me for this rec.  The bonus was supposed to be paid half up front, and the other half after the person finished probezeit.  The first installment was paid as expected.  The person I recommended was mobbed horribly and she quit before her probezeit ended.  I was paid the second half of the bonus around the time she would have completed her probezeit but she didn't work there anymore.  I could not stomach the thought of going through all the nonsense with them again so I just kept my mouth shut - that was not a small amount.

 

Jesus, I'm starting to think I'm really a horrible person

4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well Lisa, don't feel bad. I'll share a blatantly dishonest story.

 

I was 10 years old, and the teacher informed us of an upcoming comprehensive test we were having in science. To motivate us, she told us that the person who scored the highest would win $20. To a child of the 90s who only got about $5 a month for allowance, that was big bucks.

 

A few days later during lunch break, I ran back inside the empty classroom to retrieve some toy for the playground and by sheer coincidence noticed the teacher's manual and the stack of said tests on the teacher's desk. With this snake grin on my face, I grabbed a test and copied down all the answers.

 

As I went through the day, I became more and more apprehensive about how I was going to pull a switcheroo without her noticing, and I further begin to fear that even if it were successful, she might become suspicious of a perfect score from an average student and make me retest.

 

Given that, I took the test home and spent the entire evening memorizing the test front, back, out of order, backwards, upside down, made little flashcards and and self tested myself relentlessly.

 

The following morning, I of course took the test. Unsurpringly, at the end of lunch break, the teacher stopped me at the classroom door and marched me straight to the principal's office.

 

After presenting me with the accusation and hearing my denial, she then ordered me to retake the test under their observation. I really wish I could describe the bewildered look on their faces when she graded it and it was a "perfect" score again.

 

She tried quizzing me by asking me questions in random order, then suddenly threw the test down and "He's not even hesitating to answer! I don't know what...how...why..." I walked out of that office feeling like I had slain Goliath.

 

Ultimately, she eventually (and begrudgingly) gave me the $20. And for the rest of the year, I was too terrified to get anything less than an A in science out of fear what would happen to me if if I did.

8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, razorsandroses said:

Well Lisa, don't feel bad. I'll share a blatantly dishonest story.

 

I was 10 years old, and the teacher informed us of an upcoming comprehensive test we were having in science. To motivate us, she told us that the person who scored the highest would win $20. To a child of the 90s who only got about $5 a month for allowance, that was big bucks.

 

A few days later during lunch break, I ran back inside the empty classroom to retrieve some toy for the playground and by sheer coincidence noticed the teacher's manual and the stack of said tests on the teacher's desk. With this snake grin on my face, I grabbed a test and copied down all the answers.

 

As I went through the day, I became more and more apprehensive about how I was going to pull a switcheroo without her noticing, and I further begin to fear that even if it were successful, she might become suspicious of a perfect score from an average student and make me retest.

 

Given that, I took the test home and spent the entire evening memorizing the test front, back, out of order, backwards, upside down, made little flashcards and and self tested myself relentlessly.

 

The following morning, I of course took the test. Unsurpringly, at the end of lunch break, the teacher stopped me at the classroom door and marched me straight to the principal's office.

 

After presenting me with the accusation and hearing my denial, she then ordered me to retake the test under their observation. I really wish I could describe the bewildered look on their faces when she graded it and it was a "perfect" score again.

 

She tried quizzing me by asking me questions in random order, then suddenly threw the test down and "He's not even hesitating to answer! I don't know what...how...why..." I walked out of that office feeling like I had slain Goliath.

 

Ultimately, she eventually (and begrudgingly) gave me the $20. And for the rest of the year, I was too terrified to get anything less than an A in science out of fear what would happen to me if if I did.

Please tell me you eventually got a degree in science...

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I went to a wedding in London.  We had booked a room and left our stuff there.  We had a flight out the next morning.  They didn't ask for a credit card, prepayment, an ID or anything.  By the time we got back, there was only three hours left until our flight, so we quietly took our stuff and left.  I feel bad about it now, but we were rather broke and London had made us even more broke, so paying a (for us at that time) ton of money for three hours seemed a bit much.   

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ha Brad! I had a plan! I was young and broke, sleeping rough in Brazil and needed decent food and a shower.

My brilliant plan? To look for an old but respectable- looking suitcase in a rubbish container or whatever and then wash it somewhere, turn up at the nicest possible hotel with the case full of stones and check in at a hotel.

I knew back then the hotel would give me a key to a room etc and let me eat there without paying up front because I couldn‘t possibly „ do a runner „ with a heavy suitcase!

 

The only problem? I chickened out of the idea!!???

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, razorsandroses said:

Ultimately, she eventually (and begrudgingly) gave me the $20. And for the rest of the year, I was too terrified to get anything less than an A in science out of fear what would happen to me if if I did.

that's marvelous!  I love it - instant karma of a sort, but did you good

 

have you ever considered sending her a note to tell her what you did and how it all turned out?  It's pretty great

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, razorsandroses said:

Well Lisa, don't feel bad. I'll share a blatantly dishonest story.

 

I was 10 years old, and the teacher informed us of an upcoming comprehensive test we were having in science. To motivate us, she told us that the person who scored the highest would win $20. To a child of the 90s who only got about $5 a month for allowance, that was big bucks.

 

A few days later during lunch break, I ran back inside the empty classroom to retrieve some toy for the playground and by sheer coincidence noticed the teacher's manual and the stack of said tests on the teacher's desk. With this snake grin on my face, I grabbed a test and copied down all the answers.

 

As I went through the day, I became more and more apprehensive about how I was going to pull a switcheroo without her noticing, and I further begin to fear that even if it were successful, she might become suspicious of a perfect score from an average student and make me retest.

 

Given that, I took the test home and spent the entire evening memorizing the test front, back, out of order, backwards, upside down, made little flashcards and and self tested myself relentlessly.

 

The following morning, I of course took the test. Unsurpringly, at the end of lunch break, the teacher stopped me at the classroom door and marched me straight to the principal's office.

 

After presenting me with the accusation and hearing my denial, she then ordered me to retake the test under their observation. I really wish I could describe the bewildered look on their faces when she graded it and it was a "perfect" score again.

 

She tried quizzing me by asking me questions in random order, then suddenly threw the test down and "He's not even hesitating to answer! I don't know what...how...why..." I walked out of that office feeling like I had slain Goliath.

 

Ultimately, she eventually (and begrudgingly) gave me the $20. And for the rest of the year, I was too terrified to get anything less than an A in science out of fear what would happen to me if if I did.

Wonderful story!!!????

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And it made you learn!

Indeed one of my teachers had told us once that preparing a crib is a fine thing to do. You only needed to make sure it really covers all the potential subjects and has to be small enough to not be noticed. So especially the lazy learners were keen in preparing one. Point is that whenever you try to ensure that everything really important is covered on a very small piece of paper written as small as possible but still easy legible (you dont want to be found out squinting on a mini paper because you can't read what you had noted down) you have to look through all of what might be tested, understand  what are the really important parts and then try to figure out how to note it down as small but legible as possible. By that time you memorized it 3 times at least thus actually not needing a crib any longer. Happened to me several times.

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh dear! Just remembered...when I was 23 or so, I ended up in Buenos Aires, penniless and hanging around and this young Argentine lady, Susana, stopped me on the street for a chat. She was curious about my look of abandonment but somehow charm!

:rolleyes:

She became my girlfriend ( and at some stage I found out what a Stundenhotel was ..her parents wouldn´t have wanted the likes of me around her!!  It was HER idea, by the way,so don´t blame me for the Stundenhotel bit!)... I digress ..

 

 

Anyway, she was a part-time English teacher and said: " why don´t you go into a language school...you´re a native speaker? "

So I walked into a language school called Toil and Chat in the centre of the city and it was run by an old French/German married couple. They showed me a book which I could use, so I peered through it..had no experience.

So, the first lessons and many of the (much older than me ) students took a shine to me. After a while, many of them started saying things such as " I pay 90 pesos an hour here...that is expensive..wink wink." ie could they have private classes?

" No, I work here and don´t know what I should say..."

 

One of them said: " try to get fired and you can come to my house for lessons and I will  pay you well but not as much as I pay here but much more than you get here."

 

I thought about it and, one sunny day, I turned up at the school without a shirt on.

It worked!!

:rolleyes:

 

I made some good friends with some of the students at their homes, got fed and watered and..paid!!

I then expanded and put an ad in a rock magazine called Pelo ( Hair ) ..hey, what a name in those days..so appropriate...and got contacted by loads of parents who wanted their teenage kids to have some help with their English. What really happened ( Zeitgeist here)...the kids in their bedrooms put on their Stones, Beatles etc albums and asked for help translating the lyrics!

It was great! And I got paid to listen to some of my favourite bands!!!

 

 

 

 

 

 

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

John, your music story struck a chord.  Two of my German friends report that they were both, independently, motivated to learn English because they needed to understand the Beatles.  It looks as if 60s music made a bigger contribution to culture than we realised.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, starkebogen said:

John, your music story struck a chord.  Two of my German friends report that they were both, independently, motivated to learn English because they needed to understand the Beatles.  It looks as if 60s music made a bigger contribution to culture than we realised.

I was locked up by the military in Paraguay at a dark time there in the 70s..I had long hair and was arrested at the border bridge with Brazil..I was obviously " dangerous "..four days in a cell with about twenty others..one of them, actually there for murder...got chatting to me.." Inglaterra? Los Beatles? ".

All in my diaries from that time.

The real reason I was locked up? Pinochet, the Chilean dictator, was due to visit his fascist compadres in that border town - President Geisel of Brazil, dictator Stroessner of Paraguay itself and can´t for the life of me right now remember who the other arsehole was. But, anyway, everybody at the border was arrested when coming in for the duration of their summit.

Ha! One Paraguayan inmate I got talking to...

Me: " why am I here`? What have I done? "

He: " it´s normal here. "

 

My big mistake: I had hitchhiked from Brazil to the border bridge and the truck driver was Paraguayan and he said: " why do you wanna go there? I´m from there. Don´t go. "

 

But I did.

I wanted to see the world and pick up 50 dollars at poste restarante in Asunción cos I had no money and my buddy in Los Angeles had posted 50 dollars there for me.

 

PS: I had just been teaching English in Rio to a " good " family´s kids..the father was an engineer and he built that bloody bridge...

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Wherearewegoingto said:

I never experimented with illegal drugs, did not even smoke, in fact I even don't do coffee. Wildest I get is 2 glasses of wine after which I am too drunk to be able to drink more. Probably then asleep under the table.

We have ALL that in common!

I was gonna confess to having nothing to confess but if I scrape the barrel I can come up with keeping my mouth shut (passive collusion) and letting my husband pay only one night for a three night stay - in a seriously, seriously bad hotel about 25 years ago. We left top speed before the penny dropped at reception.

Then there is the small matter of that nice lady's husband... and there my wings and halo drop off with a damn great clash and a clatter.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0