Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

How do I revoke approval for direct debit transfers (SEPA)?

7 posts in this topic

This is outrageous that a company can charge me after I cancel my contract, is there really no way to revoke such creditors?

I'm not talking about revoking a single charge, but revoking the approval I granted in the first place.

Yes, you can revoke it by notifying the company (not the bank) in writing. It's called "Einzugsermächtigung widerrufen".  They must honor that.

The question is, if the contract is cancelled, why would they still be charging you?

You can revoke it but they will send you a bill instead if they think you owe them. Did you cancel the contract in writing with proper notice? It's very common in Germany that if you don't cancel a contract, it automatically renews for another year. If this happened to you, there isn't much you can do except cancel it in proper writing now if you didn't yet to prevent it from auto renewing again and talk to the company about letting you out early, possibly for a fee.

30 minutes ago, Smaug said:

Yes, you can revoke it by notifying the company (not the bank) in writing. It's called "Einzugsermächtigung widerrufen".  They must honor that.

Thank you! There is no way I would find it myself.

30 minutes ago, Smaug said:

The question is, if the contract is cancelled, why would they still be charging you?

@Smaug @LeonG Yea I did cancel, but that's a different story, could be my mistake that I still owe them something but it doesn't matter. What matters is that it shows how this system is flawed because:
1. technically and legally I'm not a customer anymore (my account in their system is gone), I can't log in and access my data and bank details I provided to that company
2. at the same time that company I had contract with is still in posession of my bank details! and can charge me!
This is fine if the company is trustful and acting legally, but if they're some shady scoundrels they could charge me unjustifiably and there's a high chance I wouldn't even notice. Or they can be lawful but just make a billing mistake. I can't believe this procedure is still possible in such consument-friendly country like Germany.

Welcome to Germany, the land of automatically renewing contracts.

Up until you reside in Germany you have certain contractual obligations even though you do not use their services anymore.

As others said, there is no problem to cancel the direct debit: you can revoke each charge via your online banking or call your bank to do so.

However, that does not mean you do not owe them money unless you have a written confirmation about end of contract date. German companies tend to lose your cancellation letters, and then you legally are still under the contract.

I left Germany and politely asked Vodafone to stop charging me because I was their customer for 7 years. They refused, I sent my Abmeldung and revoked direct debit whiich they ignored and tried to charge me for 2 more months when I already was abroad. That didn't work as I emptied my bank account, so they sent me 2 Mahnungen by E-Mail. I replied to all of them, yet the second Mahnung began with the words "since you didn't reply to our first Mahnung...". I showed fuck you to them, that was my protest against this system which I never accepted.

I believe they trashed my Schufa, yet I haven't heard from them.

When you are still in Germany, there is nothing you can do (unless you want to try with European Court of Justice, but success probability is low).

Automatically renewing contracts suck too, but that's like a separate issue and I'm pretty sure it's a standard in Europe (except the crazy long notice period).

In my case I replaced Vodafone DSL with other provider and they did acknowledge the cancellation, but after the contract expired I still noticed some charges in my transfer history, and to be more confusing they were different from the usual fixed monthly costs I was paying before. I received no mahnung letters (don't get me started on that, those are the cancer) so I can't even check the reason behind those charges because obviously my MeineVodafone account no longer exists. Life lesson: trust no one, check bank account regularly and revoke direct debit approval as soon as contract is terminated.

Another one to watch out for is being told verbally that you can cancel under such and such circumstances. If it's not in the written contract, its null and void.

You can reverse charges made to your account but if you truly owe the company some money the will charge you extra for reversing the debit. Talk to them and find out what they were charging for first. I know getting an answer out of them can be like pulling teeth but be persistent and don't give up. 

I have my own long sob story from landing between Telekom and Kabel Deutschland (now Vodafone) when I moved a few years ago. It took a couple of months to get it settled.