Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Want to get the hell out but it makes so much sense to stay for the masters

114 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, AnswerToLife42 said:

..and return to Germany when you get sick or can't care for youself.

Just to wait 3 months for a doctor appointment?

9 minutes ago, Smaug said:

Many will be absolutely screwed if they have to go back to the UK. Housing is a lot more expensive in the UK and their standard of living will take a dive. The poorest pensioners will have to live in the worst neighborhoods in run-down towns full of bitter, marginalized, unemployed people

Plus the housing market in Spain in certain areas would probably take a dip if lots of houses from expats suddenly came onto the market at the same time, meaning reduced prices, longer sales times etc.  

3 hours ago, kiplette said:

They stay in Spain when old and sick.

The old in Spain stay mainly when in pain.

2 hours ago, AnswerToLife42 said:

1 hour ago, AnswerToLife42 said:

In Germany you can't get into the public system if you are older than 55? years.

Is that possible in Spain?

[...]

Yes, in Spain it is. It's a national health system very similar to the NHS in the UK. Some people have private insurance but that's just on top of the public one. Everyone has public; you don't "switch" like you do in Germany.

As a Spanish member of the health care system I would not like subsidize the premiums of pensionist from countries outside the EU

Non-EU citizens who wish to retire in Spain can get a retirement visa but the only get it if:

1. They invest at least 500,000 euros in the country (most people buy one or more properties)

2. They have an income of at least 2,500 euros a month (from the top of my head; I checked a while ago).

3. They have purchased suitable health insurance.

ergo my brilliant idea to get German citizenship first :)

I'll probably do it anyway at some point.  I do think that if I look outside of Munich I'll find plenty of options even in Germany.  

Forgot about this post but want to address a couple things as I skimmed the comments. Thanks for the empathy to the users who either gave more positive feedback or some tips to placate some issues. It does help so I appreciate it. I actually also studied in the US and finished a degree there so I can obviously compare the two. Furthermore, I studied in Southeast Asia for a year and have good idea how universities are outside of the US (let's not forget the fact that, you know, one could talk to other foreigners about how the university life is in their country). I see a lot of excuses and that is something I find really laughable here in Germany. No one wants to discuss the negatives. You speak about something negative, a lot of people try to somehow turn it on you as if you are the problem and simultaneously dropping the subject.

For the others who lack competence and empathy by saying such things as "trying to educate you", "you seem to hate everything", "don't look at the negatives" blah blah you can go fuck yourselves. You sound like some stuck up white privileged pathetic assholes. Until you hear someone call you an "Affen" and numerously hear "scheiß Ausländer", "Ausländer rauß!" or what you have, maybe, just maybe, would your opinion be then of value. Until then don't waste my time. I didn't come here to "vent" but again, that's your lack of competence not being able to understand that, I assume.

Thanks again for the users who gave some insight. It was a nice week...went hiking with a group of people and had a good time. Joined some sports groups as suggested as well.

All in all, this message board should be used to support foreigners who are having good or bad times, who have questions, need help etc. So the few who don't see it that way...maybe you are fed up because such posts are a dime a dozen here? :D

Well for me I am only fed up with them if they come in a highly aggressive style telling me to either agree or bugger off as incompetent knows nothing.

On 20.10.2019, 20:04:20, john g. said:

You only live once in our 3-Dimension. Or whatever it´s called.

Go for your dreams in life and do it. 

Or regret listening to other people, who, maybe well-meaning, don´t wish you to do it because they wouldn´t do it..envy, fear etc.

Wise words indeed, @john g., wise words indeed.

On 10/18/2019, 4:41:10, renemp said:

Unfortunately that is not my modus operandi

Advise is cheap. But it would help if you would take more often a deep breath and move that chip off your shoulder.

Consider yourself lucky that you are young, healthy and can attend university. All other things you have to work for and that includes friendships and a " Bekanntenkreis".*

Good luck!

* How about joining a service club?

On 24.10.2019, 17:23:35, renemp said:

Thanks again for the users who gave some insight. It was a nice week...went hiking with a group of people and had a good time. Joined some sports groups as suggested as well.

Gabs, he did take advice and go join some clubs, and he enjoyed himself and had a good week, and then came back and told everyone. Which is about as good as it gets.

Happy for you, OP, hope it continues.

Slight aside - walking groups - they are the one set of people who round here just will not crack a smile or say hello. I am glad yours are nice, though.

On 19.10.2019, 15:38:53, dessa_dangerous said:

@anne k I respectfully disagree.  Maybe the board has mellowed a bit in its overtly exasperated tone and for sure enough of those who are content in their situations do a shit-ton of shushing and scolding of anyone who dares to complain.

Oh, I wasn't complaining that Renemp wanted a rant, just giving him some tips where he could go to avoid the more teacherly comments :)

And yeah, I arrived in the East in 1992 and despite my admitted white privilege have been told Ausländer raus, had a delivery man tell me I must be the cleaning lady and not the person living in my flat, called a Schmarotzer because I didn't have a sign pinned to my chest saying I was employed, and told that I'm in Germany and should be speaking to my children in German. So I have no issue whatsoever about people without my white privilege complaining.

On 10/25/2019, 12:00:27, HH_Sailor said:

Wise words indeed, @john g., wise words indeed.

Thank you, HH!

You know, my dream was to go to South America and I read a book called South American Handbook from page to page every day for ages.

One night, my Dad came home from the factory and I said: " Dad, I´m going to South American tomorrow. "

I was 20.

He said: " you´ve got a brand new cassette recorder. Don´t forget to take the receipt for the Customs over there. "

Next morning, I left home..without saying goodbye. I hitchhiked to London and stayed with a great friend and had my first every curry! Long story..but on the way to the airport in Luxemburg to get the cheapest flight West of Europe ( to the Bahamas! ), I first took trains etc to Bonn, knocked on a German friend´s door (unexpected )...nobody answered the knock straight away. I left my suitcase with the cassette recorder on top of it, went over to the phone on the other side of the road , phoned and they answered and Erich said " come in! ".

By the time I had finished the call, a neighbour´s son had nicked my cassette recorder and I rang the bell and the mother came out and said " my son didn´t do it."

I slept at Erich´s place.

It was snowing outside.

The next day, hitchhiked to Luxemburg, got the flight to Nassau and I got off the plane to 30C and sunshine.

Stayed a couple of days outside the airport under a palm tree, sometimes going into the airport to ask for water. The flight had cost all the money I had and I couldn´t afford to buy food on the flight.

I was so naive! The flight had cost all the money I had.. Then I accepted a ride by a Scottish woman into town and ended up at the Salvation Army, offering them one shirt a night out of my suitcase !

Blimey: the book still exists, updated annually!

https://www.footprinttravelguides.com/products/south-american-handbook

By the way, I was in Port Stanley, Falkland Islands/ Islas Malvinas for a few months in 1975 and they had the book in the library. Leafed through it. The edition was from about 1940! Honestly!

And I read in the pages about Paraguay: " No Jews of any nationality will be allowed into Paraguay."

Jeez.