Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Want to get the hell out but it makes so much sense to stay for the masters

114 posts in this topic

By the way, still looking for my German stuff here in the chaos...original Aufenthaltstitel in Germany from whenever..1989 or so. Have found my old Brazilian ID card from 1978 when I got married in Brazil! Sneaky but Portuguese tend to let Brazilians in..maybe I could get in by the back door?

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Oh, don't kid yourself that most of these oldies are stretching themselves to learn a new language :)

They live on the Costa del Britain, speak exclusively English, eat a full English of a morning, fish and chips later on....it is extremely bizarre.

Obviously there are also those with respect for and an interest in their host country...

2 hours ago, lisa13 said:

I honestly never knew Spain was quite so generous to pensioners until Smaug pointed it out...Luke's thinking is what made me consider it originally:  the cost of living is simply less.  And I think I'll need that, unfortunately.

Driving a car is also much cheaper: road tax, insurance, petrol and even a fine. My brother saves hundreds of euros per year.

26 minutes ago, kiplette said:

Oh, don't kid yourself that most of these oldies are stretching themselves to learn a new language :)

They live on the Costa del Britain, speak exclusively English, eat a full English of a morning, fish and chips later on...it is extremely bizarre.

Obviously there are also those with respect for and an interest in their host country...

The majority of British and German residents on Mallorca don't speak Spanish. Well, they manage hola (hello) and cerveza (beer) :). Actually, Catalan is the main language and then the local dialect Mallorquin.

12 hours ago, fraufruit said:

Right. Retire in Spain. Learn yet another language. Nein, danke.

sounds better than eating catfood when I'm 80 :)

So, the plan is, when possible, retire in Germany, and then go and live in a country, which is cheap to live and offer better living conditions like warmer weather, more daylight, etc., right?

1 hour ago, TurMech said:

So, the plan is, when possible, retire in Germany, and then go and live in a country, which is cheap to live and offer better living conditions like warmer weather, more daylight, etc., right?

..and return to Germany when you get sick or can't care for youself.

5 minutes ago, AnswerToLife42 said:

Sorry, i don't get it.

What kind of difference does it make to be in Germany, or elsewhere, when a retiree is sick or can't care for himself/herself? 

19 hours ago, Smaug said:

Also, health care is almost completely free and simply based on residence: Pensioners don't pay social security contributions and there are no health insurance premiums to pay.

Possibly he missed this post. They stay in Spain when old and sick.

Is this true?

Groups campaigning for the rights of Britons settled in Europe told the committee that many pensioners in countries such as Spain and France would not be able to afford private health insurance if the current system was jettisoned post-Brexit.

(old article from 2017)

Possibly. They rely on the S1 which is the arrangement (or the form which you fill in, at any rate) where EU countries pay for the access to public healthcare of their pensioners in other lands. So it allows elderly Brits to live in Spain as though they are Spanish pensioners. We have several people on TT who use this arrangement to cover their AOK membership here in Germany.

The worry is that after Brexit this arrangement will fail, which is both a personal crisis for the pensioners involved, who will need to pay for private healthcare, and a public health crisis for the UK in that the NHS is struggling with the vast hordes of patients it already has, and will probably not be able to cope with the sudden influx of elderly people who can't pay and therefore have to move back to the UK in a hurry.

My understanding is that it is cheaper to pay for the AOK (equivalent) in Spain than it is to treat the same patients in the UK, so it would be bad all round. 

edit to point out that I have a history of being a bit clueless on this whole subject, but I think that my broad outline is basically true. 

The part I don't get is how would all of those pensioners be able to afford to live in the U.K. when it costs so much more than Spain? Of course, that could change after Brexit.

Allow me to take this moment to be accountable for going down leafy lane on this thread.

8 minutes ago, kiplette said:

The worry is that after Brexit this arrangement will fail, which is both a personal crisis for the pensioners involved, who will need to pay for private healthcare, and a public health crisis for the UK in that the NHS is struggling with the vast hordes of patients it already has, and will probably not be able to cope with the sudden influx of elderly people who can't pay and therefore have to move back to the UK in a hurry.

I think that they will come to an agreement because of the high number of people involved and:

Spain will rather they continue to live in Spain and help the Spanish economy.  

They also know some often they have kids who often follow them and work in Spain.  Contributing more to the economy and paying taxes etc.

Spain if happy as long as the NHS continues to foot the bill.  It provides more jobs in Spain as well for health care professionals.

The NHS is happy because treatment might be? cheaper in Spain for some things.  And they don't won't get overloaded with even more patients requiring health care, when they currently can't cope.  And the cost is already covered, so hence accounted for.

1 hour ago, AnswerToLife42 said:

I think, it's not so nice to be in a hospital or nursing home where you don#t understand doctors and nurses.

53 minutes ago, kiplette said:

My understanding is that it is cheaper to pay for the AOK (equivalent) in Spain than it is to treat the same patients in the UK, so it would be bad all round.

I think that 90% of the health care costs are accumulated in your last 10 years.

In Germany you pay your premium for 40 years. (and more or less withdraw verything in the last 10 years)

In Germany you can't get into the public system if you are older than 55? years.

Is that possible in Spain?

As a Spanish member of the health care system I would not like subsidize the premiums of pensionist from countries outside the EU

53 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

The part I don't get is how would all of those pensioners be able to afford to live in the U.K. when it costs so much more than Spain? Of course, that could change after Brexit.

Many will be absolutely screwed if they have to go back to the UK. Housing is a lot more expensive in the UK and their standard of living will take a dive. The poorest pensioners will have to live in the worst neighborhoods in run-down towns full of bitter, marginalized, unemployed people