Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Want to get the hell out but it makes so much sense to stay for the masters

114 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, TurMech said:

With the increasing costs of living, especially on the housing situation, it seems, it will almost be impossible to live with a pension in Germany. On top of this, people who have migrated to Germany after a certain age (like me), will have paid into the system less than those, who joined the workforce right after their graduation, thus will have a (assuming lived long enough to retire) much less pension. 

https://www.spiegel.de/wirtschaft/soziales/rente-mit-69-dgb-warnt-vor-eiskalter-kuerzung-fuer-arbeiter-a-1292663.html

Isn't that why people save all of their lives for retirement? I can't think of anywhere that one can live off of a pension unless one moves to South America or some other cheap place.

2 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Isn't that why people save all of their lives for retirement? I can't think of anywhere that one can live off of a pension unless one moves to South America or some other cheap place.

I come from Spain and over there most pensioners seem to just live off a state pension. All of my grandparents did, with no other income. But the system is different there. The state tops up the state pension fund with tax revenues (the opposite is true in Germany). Also, health care is almost completely free and simply based on residence: Pensioners don't pay social security contributions and there are no health insurance premiums to pay.

My parents themselves live very comfortably from their state pensions in Spain. They have some rental income as well but that's just some nice money on top.

8 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

This is an argument for Buying instead of Renting.  Eliminating your housing cost is the largest expense item in retirement.

1 minute ago, catjones said:

This is an argument for Buying instead of Renting.  Eliminating your housing cost is the largest expense item in retirement.

yep.  And aside from property taxes you're not on the hook for anything complicated at tax time.

7 minutes ago, Smaug said:

I come from Spain and over there most pensioners seem to just live off a state pension. All of my grandparents did, with no other income. But the system is different there. The state tops up the state pension fund with tax revenues (the opposite is true in Germany). Also, health care is almost completely free and simply based on residence: Pensioners don't pay social security contributions and there are no health insurance premiums to pay.

My parents themselves live very comfortably from their state pensions in Spain. They have some rental income as well but that's just some nice money on top.

Thanks for that info. As it turns out, I don't know everything.:rolleyes:

@fraufruit Also, I forgot to mention that the immense majority of people in Spain are homeowners. Not many people rent. That's one big expense, together with the lack of health insurance premiums, off pensioners' budgets.

In Spain, pensioners also have free public transportation or huge discounts. Medicine is free as well for them. I understand this comes from the Franco era where they took good care of the elderly.

17 minutes ago, LukeSkywalker said:

In Spain, pensioners also have free public transportation or huge discounts. Medicine is free as well for them. I understand this comes from the Franco era where they took good care of the elderly.

Yes, my parents have free public transport within the whole province (or so cheap it's almost free).

London also has free public transport for the elderly.

Ah. Here we go. And I was wondering why so many elderly were bugging off to Spain. Thought it was for the sun. Will make sure I transfer to Spain in time?

2 minutes ago, john g. said:

I have got a daughter with a Spanish passport but if  Brexit fucks me up ...I can´t move there.

Get married to Nicole and you can move to Spain, as the spouse of an EU citizen.

3 minutes ago, Wherearewegoingto said:

Ah. Here we go. And I was wondering why so many elderly were bugging off to Spain. Thought it was for the sun. Will make sure I transfer to Spain in time?

Restaurants and bars are also cheap, e.g. €1,50 for a beer or €1,80 for a glass of good house wine. Another option is Portugal where expat pensioners don't pay taxes for the first 10 years.

3 minutes ago, PandaMunich said:

Get married to Nicole and you can move to Spain, as the spouse of an EU citizen.

And enjoy a cheaper tax class, haha.

(oh no, Panda...I, erm, what can I say..oh no, she will find someone younger, sexier, richer, hunkier, without dogs and cats and, oh no...please don´t tell anyone our secret message...)

Ich hasse Steuerberater!

:lol:

(sending this as a PM so nobody on here can read it )

1 minute ago, LukeSkywalker said:

Restaurants and bars are also cheap, e.g. €1,50 for a beer or €1,80 for a glass of good house wine. Another option is Portugal where expat pensioners don't pay taxes for the first 10 years.

I honestly never knew Spain was quite so generous to pensioners until Smaug pointed it out...Luke's thinking is what made me consider it originally:  the cost of living is simply less.  And I think I'll need that, unfortunately.

11 minutes ago, PandaMunich said:

I could, of course, move to another Bundesland, Mallorca???

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

8 minutes ago, LukeSkywalker said:

And enjoy a cheaper tax class, haha.

Nicole ain´t cheap, babe! No camping on ferries and stuff. Nice hotels. I am still man enough to deal with hammocks!

:rolleyes::lol::lol: