ALG1 Rent Assistance

8 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I am shortly to be made redundant, and will be claiming ALG 1, I have worked in Germany for the past 13 months, I understand that I will payed 60% of my wage, which will mean I only receive €600. 

My rent is €520 here in Berlin, and obviously I don’t think I will be able to survive on €80. My question is whether there is extra assistance I should be claiming in order to help me financially while I search for a new role?

thanks

You can apply for a Hartz IV top-up, but doing so might endanger your ability to remain in Germany. If you can't pay your own way, you don't satisfy the prerequisites for freedom of movement. I'm not sure 13 months is long enough for them to want to support you.

I strongly suggest you get another job ASAP, even if it's in food service or at a temping agency. It looks like you were earning minimum wage (EUR 9.19/hour) before, so you don't have any reason to hold out for a higher salary.

P.S. I hate to pick nits, but it's "paid"

14 hours ago, Cdaniels said:

My rent is €520 here in Berlin, and obviously I don’t think I will be able to survive on €80.

Particularly as you still have your health insurance to pay...

1 minute ago, HEM said:

Particularly as you still have your health insurance to pay...

If he gets ALG1, his health insurance will be covered for the time of his entitlement.

2 hours ago, El Jeffo said:

You can apply for a Hartz IV top-up, but doing so might endanger your ability to remain in Germany. If you can't pay your own way, you don't satisfy the prerequisites for freedom of movement. I'm not sure 13 months is long enough for them to want to support you.

I strongly suggest you get another job ASAP, even if it's in food service or at a temping agency. It looks like you were earning minimum wage (EUR 9.19/hour) before, so you don't have any reason to hold out for a higher salary.

P.S. I hate to pick nits, but it's "paid"

Hm, I’m an EU citizen. And have met a number of people and former colleagues who have claimed ALG 1 after having worked here a similar time, without having their right to stay in Germany endangered

50 minutes ago, El Jeffo said:

If he gets ALG1, his health insurance will be covered for the time of his entitlement.

I sit corrected...

35 minutes ago, Cdaniels said:

Hm, I’m an EU citizen. And have met a number of people and former colleagues who have claimed ALG 1 after having worked here a similar time, without having their right to stay in Germany endangered

ALG1 is not the problem, ALGII aka Hartz4 top up is. And that's what you asked for, "extra assistance", right?

edit: In addition there is a time problem: You don't get Hartz4 just like that. It takes time, is a lot of paperwork, you have to make yourself financially completely 'naked' and prove everything possible. And all that with the authorities in Berlin, which are completely overburdened anyway.

You only get ALG1 for 6 months anyway ... use the energy better and find a new job.

5 hours ago, someonesdaughter said:

ALG1 is not the problem, ALGII aka Hartz4 top up is. And that's what you asked for, "extra assistance", right?

edit: In addition there is a time problem: You don't get Hartz4 just like that. It takes time, is a lot of paperwork, you have to make yourself financially completely 'naked' and prove everything possible. And all that with the authorities in Berlin, which are completely overburdened anyway.

You only get ALG1 for 6 months anyway ... use the energy better and find a new job.

Wasn't there some rule too that an EU citizen must have been in Germany for 5 yrs to be eligible for ALG ii unless they are working?