How to react if black sports stars are abused by fans

34 posts in this topic

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/oct/12/howard-gayle-england-walk-off-racism-bulgaria

It is sinister and obnoxious when black football players are subjected to racist abuse by fans. England´s national football team are away to Bulgaria on Monday and there is talk of the players leaving the pitch if their black players are abused by Bulgarian fans.

But is that the right reaction ?

A black, former  Liverpool player has his opinion.

I am personally not sure what is better - to put up with it as highly paid sportsmen or to take a stand.

If it was happening down the local park, action would be taken.

I used to referee back in the day, and although it never happened, had a player used the "N" word, I'd have sent him off.

I know people have paid money to see the match, but you have to make a stand.  Has to be stopped, end of.

I think that the teams have to stay on the pitch.

I also think that both teams should stick together and refuse to continue playing as long some of them are being abused

Let the security people deal with the disruptive elements and then get on with the game.

Whatever one believes outside of the football pitch, should stay outside.

Evening, hoops! I am old enough to remember the mid-80s when that brilliant black England player John Barnes  was subjected to racist abuse on a South American tour of Brazil, Uruguay and Chile by National Front yobs over from England.Unbelievable.

Let me see if I can find his wonder goal at the Maracana Stadium in Rio! My Brazilian brother-in-law had just come to visit in London, had a kip and then we watched Brazil v. England!!!

Edit: found it!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0jdsPZmOWM

43 minutes ago, john g. said:

I am personally not sure what is better - to put up with it as highly paid sportsmen or to take a stand

Why should the amount you are paid affect if you should tolerate racial abuse ?

16 minutes ago, robinson100 said:

I think that the teams have to stay on the pitch.

I also think that both teams should stick together and refuse to continue playing as long some of them are being abused

Let the security people deal with the disruptive elements and then get on with the game.

Whatever one believes outside of the football pitch, should stay outside.

Good point, rob! Both team captains, for example, could hold hands until the nonsense stops. And get the security people involved.

Agree, rob!

:)

It´s a shame some people are such morons that they have nothing better to do than harass others.

At the same time, I wouldn´t  want football stadiums to be so sanitized that no atmosphere exists. Rivalry: yes. Frustration: yes. Joy: yes.

By the way, in my younger days, I used to love going to stadiums but there was an element of fear at some stadiums.

That includes my time living in Brazil..in Rio. I went to see Brazil v Germany..was about 35 years ago or so and I was with Brazilian friends. Some guys above me on another tier spotted me as a foreigner and threw stuff at me ( including plastic cups with piss )..I coudn´t wait for Brazil to score a goal to feel safer...and they did just before the end. I screamed " Brasil, Brasil " etc and I was then safe. I was supporting Brazil anyway!

19 minutes ago, john g. said:

It is easier to put up with shit in life if you have money, Keleth.

Whether you`re being paid 100k or 100 doesn`t help in having people calling you a black c**t.

And sorry but you`re actually showing why racism still goes on in sport because people think "fuck it he`s being well paid he can take it".

I hate racism, Keleth.I have often enough been  a victim of it because of the wrong passport or wrong look ie looking like a foreigner. But that is not my point. Howard Gayle´s story is my point. How HE as a black sportsman sees it.

5 minutes ago, john g. said:

I hate racism, Keleth.I have often enough been  a victim of it because of the wrong passport or wrong look ie looking like a foreigner. But that is not my point. Howard Gayle´s story is my point. How HE as a black sportsman sees it.

He sees it as abuse and was often classed as "difficult" because he wouldn`t accept it.

In fact he even threatened Tommy Smith because he racially abused him.

As far as he is concerned money or status makes no difference,racism should never be put up with.

I agree completely with the entire team leaving the field if people are going to be shouting racial abuse.

It's similar to a rock concert I went to where someone threw an unidentified object at the lead singer on stage--the lead singer immediately stopped the music and clearly said "If you throw one more thing at me or at my band, the show WILL be over--I don't care if we just started 10 mins ago and I don't care how much you paid to come see us!"

And surprise...nothing else was thrown for the rest of the show. The same should be said for the football games--start with the monkey noises and racial slurs, and the players will hit the showers, and everyone else can just hit the pubs and talk about wasted €60 everyone each spent and didn't even get to see any playtime because some assholes couldn't keep their bigoted sentiments to themselves.

16 hours ago, john g. said:

I hate racism, Keleth.I have often enough been  a victim of it because of the wrong passport or wrong look ie looking like a foreigner. 

There's a distinct difference between racism and xenophobia, although there can be some overlap between the two terms. It sounds like what you're describing is xenophobia. 

You may well be right, Lavender!  So , for example , when my blond Spanish wife at the time we lived in Jakarta couldn’t freely leave our house without being harassed by men in the street - and I mean EVERY time - and the cops smiled anyway - and it WAS because she was a “ Western whore  “. 

Same like the 4 brave guys who surrounded me and robbed me— “ You West, you no good. “

And many other memories of shitty encounters and not only there.

So, academics can discuss the difference between racism and xenophobia - fine!

I just hope you remember to understand- crappy behaviour is everywhere and not restricted to white Anglo-Saxon males with or without a beer gut.

4 hours ago, john g. said:

I just hope you remember to understand- crappy behaviour is everywhere and not restricted to white Anglo-Saxon males with or without a beer gut.

Johng, I just hope you remember to understand with your Anglo-Saxon white skin that you've been afforded in your life experiences an immense amount of opportunities and " white privilege"   that many downtrodden, poor,  and educated people of color around the world have not, simply because of the color of their skin.  

Your story about your Spanish wife is not about racism, it's about misogyny and xenophobia. Please don't continue to conflate the two terms "racism" and "xenophobia" .

Educate yourself about  "white privilege" and racism as apparently from your three examples  you don't  actually know what "racism" actually is all about. How about you start by realizing you have benefitted directly from the privilege that racism and prejudice afforded you as racism has enable your life experiences to be what it is thus far.

Your "white privilege" has protected you and even convinced you some how that your position of wealth and other privileges you hold are because your skills are superior when in actuality, racist systems have been very carefully constructed, designed, and upheld to control the false narrative that other groups are inferior which further allows you to think you've  had a racist experience and that "crappy behavior is everywhere and not restricted to white anglo-saxon males with or without beer guts".   

Your  examples of racism  you say you've experienced  are actually false examples that you've socially constructed as racism because you simply don't know exactly what racism and xenophobia is.

I will extend this further to even say it's  probably because you've never directly experienced  overt or institutionalized racism.

12 hours ago, Lavender Rain said:

Johng, I just hope you remember to understand with your Anglo-Saxon white skin that you've been afforded in your life experiences an immense amount of opportunities and " white privilege"   that many downtrodden, poor,  and educated people of color around the world have not, simply because of the color of their skin.  

Your story about your Spanish wife is not about racism, it's about misogyny and xenophobia. Please don't continue to conflate the two terms "racism" and "xenophobia" .

Educate yourself about  "white privilege" and racism as apparently from your three examples  you don't  actually know what "racism" actually is all about. How about you start by realizing you have benefitted directly from the privilege that racism and prejudice afforded you as racism has enable your life experiences to be what it is thus far.

Your "white privilege" has protected you and even convinced you some how that your position of wealth and other privileges you hold are because your skills are superior when in actuality, racist systems have been very carefully constructed, designed, and upheld to control the false narrative that other groups are inferior which further allows you to think you've  had a racist experience and that "crappy behavior is everywhere and not restricted to white anglo-saxon males with or without beer guts".   

Your  examples of racism  you say you've experienced  are actually false examples that you've socially constructed as racism because you simply don't know exactly what racism and xenophobia is.

I will extend this further to even say it's  probably because you've never directly experienced  overt or institutionalized racism.

"White privilege" Is that some weird, over the top American thing?

7 minutes ago, slammer said:

"White privilege" Is that some weird, over the top American thing?

I really hate that term.  I see it being used to mean that you were given opportunity and not treated like crap.  That should be the default for everyone, not a "privilege".  I guess it is just semantics to some but to me the term seems to mean a desire to have white people treated as badly as non-whites instead of having everyone treated decently.  To take away their "privilege" instead of trying to remove prejudice and racism.  

The US usually discusses in terms of race and the Brits traditionally in terms of social class.

A huge generalisation but some truth in it.

I do not come from a privileged background at all - LR is letting her own prejudices run free.

35 minutes ago, BradinBayern said:

I really hate that term.  I see it being used to mean that you were given opportunity and not treated like crap.  That should be the default for everyone, not a "privilege".

Key word here - should.

I read another story today about a black person being shot and killed by a white cop in her own bedroom. Her crime - leaving her front door open while black. Does that mean that black people want black cops to start shooting white people? No.