Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Contaminated milk in supermarkets

24 posts in this topic

I just got this message per WhatsApp:

Dichtung defektAldi, Lidl, Edeka, Rewe, Netto starten Rückruf: Milch mit Bakterien verseucht

From  

https://www.focus.de/gesundheit/news/milch-mit-bakterien-verseucht-aldi-lidl-edeka-netto-kaufland-starten-rueckruf_id_11227150.html

What I don't understand is this: The dates shown below occur in the future, e.g. 18.10.2019/ 20.10.2019

Metro Deutschland GmbH Aro Frische Milch 1,5 % Fett with the MHD 15.10.2019/ 18.10.2019
ALDI Nord Milsani Frische Milch 1,5 % Fett with the MHD 15.10.2019/ 18.10.2019/ 20.10.2019
ALDI SÜD Milfina Frische Milch 1,5 % Fett with the MHD 10.10.2019/ 14.10.2019

What is to be done? NOT buy milk on those days from these shops?

It's not the production date. MHD means Mindesthaltbarkeitsdatum. It's the best before date, which will obviously always be in the future.

7 minutes ago, seeking said:

What is to be done? NOT buy milk on those days from these shops?

Whilst the other answers are correct, they dont actually address your question of what is to be done.

What is to be done is to throw away any milk you have which fits the described details, or, if you are so minded take it back to the shop and get a refund.

Should it happen to be that you have already consumed such milk you could consider telling your doctor, though unless you are in a high risk group (old age, small child, pregnant otherwise at risk) I wouldnt bother unless you have any symptoms indiocating that you are sick.

Yes, I found out it is the date of expiry of the product. At first I thought it may be the acronym for the disease:-))

Thanks for that, checked in the fridge and dumped 2Litre packs from Edeka with the problem dates. Had some in my coffee this morning:( but no ill effects so far.

4 minutes ago, keith2011 said:

Thanks for that, checked in the fridge and dumped 2Litre packs from Edeka with the problem dates. Had some in my coffee this morning:( but no ill effects so far.

I left my toddler son alone for about 2 minutes.  He was obviously hungry.  He had gone through the bin and found an empty fresh chicken container.  He was chewing on the nasty bit of absorbent material they put under the chicken to absorb the goo (with considerable delight).  He was fine.  Pissed off though when I took it away.  Hopefully you will be okay too.  

6 hours ago, seeking said:

Metro Deutschland GmbH Aro Frische Milch 1,5 % Fett with the MHD 15.10.2019/ 18.10.2019

ALDI Nord Milsani Frische Milch 1,5 % Fett with the MHD 15.10.2019/ 18.10.2019/ 20.10.2019
ALDI SÜD Milfina Frische Milch 1,5 % Fett with the MHD 10.10.2019/ 14.10.2019

Note that all the affected milks are apparently "low fat".  The "normal" 3.8% Fett milk is not on ze list.

Does anyone know if boiling the milk for say 10 minutes is effective?  Seems such a waste.  Speaking as a former lactator. 

7 minutes ago, HEM said:

Note that all the affected milks are apparently "low fat".  The "normal" 3.8% Fett milk is not on ze list.

Many milks are not on the list including lower fat ones and those with virtually no fat at all.    They actual brands are shown.  

On 10/11/2019, 6:22:36, snowingagain said:

I left my toddler son alone for about 2 minutes.  He was obviously hungry.  He had gone through the bin and found an empty fresh chicken container.  He was chewing on the nasty bit of absorbent material they put under the chicken to absorb the goo (with considerable delight).  He was fine.  Pissed off though when I took it away.  Hopefully you will be okay too.  

We need a "Things that made you throw up in your mouth a little" thread.

On 10/11/2019, 1:41:42, seeking said:

Yes, I found out it is the date of expiry of the product. At first I thought it may be the acronym for the disease:-))

MHD is not date of expiry!! In English it's "best before" and basically denotes the date after which the producer is no longer liable for the quality of the product, and you have to use a complicated device called "human brain" to smell and taste if the milk is still good.

It is a common mistake that people throw away products which are of perfect quality, just because they rely on nanny state to take care of them.

The German term for "date of expiry" (do not consume after this date, ever) is Verfalldatum or Verwendbar bis ("to be used before")

On 11/10/2019, 19:05:46, snowingagain said:

Does anyone know if boiling the milk for say 10 minutes is effective? 

Having read up a little on aermonoas hydrophila, it seems that killing the bacteria should be enough to make milk safe (compared for example to botulism, where killing the bacteria is not enough). Relatively few bacteria can survive boiling for 10 minutes, so Id expect it to be safe. 

However, drinking milk you know to be contaminated after a do it yourself pasturisation doesnt seem like a good idea to me.

On 11/10/2019, 19:05:46, snowingagain said:

Does anyone know if boiling the milk for say 10 minutes is effective?  Seems such a waste.  Speaking as a former lactator. 

Two thirds of German milk is UHT pasteurized, UHT means it was "boiled" at much higher temperatures you can reach at home with a normal boiling process, around 135C.

So, if you know the milk is contaminated and it was already treated in a much better way you could achieve at home, I wouldn't risk getting seriously sick to save 1 EUR.

17 minutes ago, Krieg said:

So, if you know the milk is contaminated and it was already treated in a much better way you could achieve at home, I wouldn't risk getting seriously sick to save 1 EUR.

No kidding. I replaced the 2 boxes I had without even checking the info on them. No brainer.

In any case, I checked with a Supermarkt nearby and I was told that all the milk that was contaminated was removed from the shelves. I usually don't buy haltbare Milch, none of the "fresh" milk that I have open in the refrigerator is affected. Thanks all.

1 minute ago, seeking said:

I usually don't buy haltbare Milch, none of the "fresh" milk that I have open in the refrigerator is affected.

The milk that was contaminated was all Frische Fettarme from the DMK group.   No UHT.  

On 11/10/2019, 18:22:36, snowingagain said:

Yikes! He sounds like one of those stunt toddlers in China who seem to be forever falling out of top-storey windows, to be caught by passers-by, or toddling unscathed across six-lane superhighways.

1 hour ago, snowingagain said:

The milk that was contaminated was all Frische Fettarme from the DMK group.   No UHT.  

Frische Längere Haltbarkeit Milch is ESL-Milk, or "Hochpasterurisiert" which is done at around 120C.   In Germany the "fresh milk" practically disappeared around 2012 when the normal pasteurized milk was replaced with ESL-Milk.

So, I still think that boiling it won't help much.

38 minutes ago, Krieg said:

Frische Längere Haltbarkeit Milch is ESL-Milk, or "Hochpasterurisiert" which is done at around 120C.   In Germany the "fresh milk" practically disappeared around 2012 when the normal pasteurized milk was replaced with ESL-Milk.

So, I still think that boiling it won't help much.

" High-temperature short-time (HTST) pasteurization, such as that used for milk (71.5 °C (160.7 °F) for 15 seconds) ensures safety of milk and provides a refrigerated shelf life of approximately two weeks. In ultra-high-temperature (UHT) pasteurization, milk is pasteurized at 135 °C (275 °F) for 1–2 seconds, which provides the same level of safety, but along with the packaging, extends shelf life to three months under refrigeration.[40] "

Wiki