40 posts in this topic

DPD have improved a lot recently, previously my parcels all seemed to go straight to a pickup point, now they have proper online tracking, even down to tracking on a street map. My last 3 parcels have all been delivered promptly...

I just wondered if anyone else has had issues with DPD recently? Today i have been in all day, and I've had a message from EBay telling me that my parcel has been delivered. Err, no. When I checked on the DPD website, I read that apparently they had tried to deliver the parcel but failed, so redirected it to a local shop. Obviously they did not, as I was in, and they also failed to leave a delivery note. Hopefully I will be able to pick up the parcel without the note, but I don't like lies. I'm also wondering about 2 other parcels which haven't materialised recently which I had no tracking number for: how many parcels go astray at the moment?

58 minutes ago, Merryali said:

I just wondered if anyone else has had issues with DPD recently? Today i have been in all day, and I've had a message from EBay telling me that my parcel has been delivered. Err, no. When I checked on the DPD website, I read that apparently they had tried to deliver the parcel but failed, so redirected it to a local shop. Obviously they did not, as I was in, and they also failed to leave a delivery note.

Almost exactly the same here recently except DPD claimed they tried to deliver on 2 days, I was at home on both days, then left it at a parcel collection shop (no note left either day). I did have the tracking number but the shop only wanted my name and address.

We're always having issues with DPD, The amount of times they claim something is delivered or no one was in or the left it with a neighbour without leaving a card. Same old story, same with Hermes and I believe with GLA. Deliverers on so called self employed contracts, paid by the parcel and if it's not delivered then penalised and with us, they appear to be all eastern European with worse German than me. The race to the bottom in the name of profit.

DPD guys are always super stressed and clearly unhappy.   Hermes too.   I take parcels for 7 neighbours which the DHL guys seem to know.  But DPD and Hermes change staff so often and do not seem to have a grapevine.  If see them trying to deliver to a neighbour who is out, if I suggest I could take it, they seem to regard me as a totally weird, suspicious stealy person.  Also, why do so many people order stuff when they are not going to be at home to collect??  Many alternatives available.

4 minutes ago, snowingagain said:

why do so many people order stuff when they are not going to be at home to collect

THIS!!!

1 hour ago, snowingagain said:

Also, why do so many people order stuff when they are not going to be at home to collect??

Maybe because they have to work and besides there's always nice people like you and me to take in parcels as well as the local pick up point.

yeah, but if they like to order online/can only get what they want/at whatever price online, but KNOW they won't be home to receive it, they should just have their stuff dropped off at a packstation.  Easier for them and would save the drivers loads of time.

1 hour ago, French bean said:

Maybe because they have to work and besides there's always nice people like you and me to take in parcels as well as the local pick up point.

not to mention we nice people who aren't always home accept packages for other ninnies who aren't always home to accept the delivery.  In my building, at least, we have a good balance with this.

I used to try to always be home for deliveries, but a) when you order something you don't know exactly when it will be delivered. stuff happens.  b ) the worst problem is that you don't always know who the carrier will be when it finally ships.  This is a huge problem on Amazon, but also with other online shops.  Can't say how many times I've ordered at a place that says they use dhl then the shipping notice comes saying it's not dhl. I know my dhl guy.  He always does the right thing.  The other services are far more hit and miss. c) if I see that the delivery is going to arrive on a day I won't be home, I usually try to reschedule it for a saturday delivery.  But not all shipping services offer saturday delivery.  and D)  the big one:  I have spent whole days at home waiting for deliveries that never arrive.  Either they reschedule it or claim - as in this very case - that the "tried" and I wasn't home.

not all shipping companies offer packstation service - I think only dhl does?  the others do have shops where they will deliver the goods, but they are often in really weird locations, with limited hours, etc.  Additionally, to successfully pick up the item at the packet shop, you have to have the delivery notice and they often don't leave one.  Yes I have taken printouts of the email notice that it's at the shop, yet sometimes they reject that and a big drama ensues.  DHL will at least mail a delivery notice...eventually.  The worst case I didn't get it til the 5th day after they actually left it with the local PO but there is always a turnaround of at least 2 days (one day at least waiting for the notice, next day to pick it up).  My usual solution is to agree to a "drop location" which is just "leave it in front of my door".  Funny enough, they never do that - if someone is home to buzz them in the front door, they insist on leaving it WITH that person.  There is no way to win.

If you don't like accepting packages for people who are not at home, there is a simple solution:  don't.

Well one of the things the Stadtverwahltung here is looking at is banning delivery vehicles from the town centre. They're not supposed to come in after 10 but they all ignore it so I suspect there will be automated bollards being installed soon. If that happens here and in other towns in then makes working on a so called self employed contract with penalties even less attractive.

well, it seems a lot less complicated here than where you live, lisa.  Here Hermes, UPS, FedEx and DHL all make use of packstations.  Of course, I'm right smack dab in the middle of the city more or less, in a really highly densely populated area.  So there are packstations on top of pack stations on top of pack stations, not uncommonly two or more on the same block.

I also find it annoying that whoever answers the door gets to take everyone's packages... but I don't know what kind of schedule the driver is on, so, meh.

I don't however, personally find it so simple as just not accepting packages if I don't want to.  Because I didn't like taking packages for a specific neighbor, I didn't take them for anyone at all, for years.  I still HATE taking stuff for her (she likes to order something huge then go on vacation, or leaves her shit with me for days and days on end although she comes and goes from her home several times a day) and I still HATE her (haha) BUT! It dawned upon me that it's not the driver's fault my neighbor is an inconsiderate bitch, plus, I want whoever delivers to our house to know they'll be able to drop their stuff here, and not just take it automatically to the nearest post office and send the abholungszettel in the mail (if that).

so it's a little more nuanced than just not taking them if I don't want (kind of) and DEFINITELY in this area between any given bus or train station and here, in any direction, there are definitely several pack stations for any carrier. so.

The only "packstations" I'm aware of - meaning the kind that are unmanned and you can go anytime to retrieve your package - are via DHL, at least in my Munich neighborhood, which is 3 stations from "the very center".  The other companies use packet SHOPS.  Meaning you have to be able to visit them at a particular time of day, and sadly they are not as thick on the ground (per delivery service) as yours are.  The nearest gls shop is 2 km from my place, in the "wrong" direction for the rest of my activities, and not particularly close to transport.  the nearest dpd is at a getränkmarkt that is only open between 9 and 5:30 when I am at work.  so in that case, saturday it is.  Hermes is the only one that has a shop nearby with long opening hours and on the rare occasion I get a hermes shipment, I pick that shop.  That's it.  Not every location is like Berlin, so.

Regarding blacklisting specific recipients, I have had no problem telling the delivery guys that Ms X never picks up her packages (there is one of those, in fact and oh my god do I hate her - for that and other reasons) so no, I won't accept them.  He hems and haws that people should be more considerate (to pick up their stuff) then thanks me when I accept the other 2 or 3 packages in his payload, happily.  It's really not so hard ;) He's going to have to make a trip to the packstation/Post/packet shop anyway so...

3 hours ago, lisa13 said:

I know my dhl guy.  He always does the right thing.  The other services are far more hit and miss.

Used to be that way for me but recently they often ring to gain entrance then dump everyone's packages in the entrance hall, which is really not secure. Having said that today I did get a DHL package (and 2 for neighbours) delivered to my door, different drivers I guess, I rarely see the same one twice these days. Also from the non DHL deliveries I regularly get asked to take in packages for a housebound lady on the 4th floor (we have no lift), she is always home they just try to get round climbing all the steps.

With the DPD, i've had it where the delivery guy drives up, i can see him out the window, i think "ok, get ready to answer the doorbell", walk to the front door, and then 5 minutes later i get a notification that they couldn't deliver to my apartment.

Then with the same delivery i also got a notification a day later that they were unable to deliver the package to even a pickup shop.

We used to have a shop below us that would take all stuff but they closed, so now its just if a neighbour happens to be home and will collect something.

We also have a lady that doesn't pick up her packages promptly. I wonder if they are all sisters. I once had the nerve to give one of hers back to the DHL guy after it sat in my office for 4 days. She was pissed! Oh well.

Once upon a time, my SIM-card had died, and I ordered a new one (with the same number).

A neighbour was so "nice" to accept the package, signed for it, and then went on a 14 day

vacation... What an idiot. So, I wasn't reachable by phone for nearly 3 weeks.

I take back my earlier comments about DPD improving...

Yesterday I was informed, by tracking, that a package would be delivered between 09.36 & 10.36

that changed to between 09.36 & 10.06, then 5 minutes later that they were unable to deliver the package and it would be at a pick-up point later in the day. I was at home the whole day...

This morning I was informed that it is being sent to the pick-up point.

They obviously hadn't attempted to deliver the package to me AT ALL

I am as well waiting for a package from DPD, it was supposed to arrive on Wednesday and in their website it does not show anything.