About the employment situation in the city

73 posts in this topic

In my day it wasn't necessary, but in the meantime although it's not a must it is advised to sign your CV. One of several links found by google: https://bewerbung.co/lebenslauf-unterschreiben-oder-nicht

Der Lebenslauf ist kein Vertrag – eine Unterschrift ist also nicht zwingend erforderlich. Eine Vorschrift, dass man den Lebenslauf unterschreiben muss, gibt es demnach nicht. Dennoch raten Personalentscheider häufig dazu, nicht auf die Unterschrift zu verzichten. Ihr Argument: Wer den Lebenslauf unterschreibt, bestätigt damit, dass alle Angaben, die er hier gemacht hat, korrekt sind. Ein Lebenslauf mit Unterschrift wirkt demnach seriös.

Es ist also üblich, den Lebenslauf zu unterschreiben, denn als Bewerber kann man nicht wissen, ob die Personalabteilung auf derartige Details achtet. Allerdings: Auch wer nicht unterschreibt, darf natürlich keine fehlerhaften Angaben in den Lebenslauf schreiben. Und wer es dennoch tut, ist auch mit der Unterschrift nicht in irgendeiner Form abgesichert: Entdeckt der Chef nach einiger Zeit falsche Angaben, beispielsweise einen Titel, der nie erlangt wurde, ist eine Kündigung selbstverständlich trotzdem gültig.

The CV is not a contract - a signature is therefore not mandatory. There is therefore no requirement to sign the CV. Nevertheless, personnel decision-makers often advise not to forgo the signature. Their argument: Who signs the curriculum vitae, confirms thereby that all data, which it gave here, are correct. A curriculum vitae with a signature therefore appears serious.

It is therefore usual to sign the CV, because as an applicant you cannot know whether the HR department pays attention to such details. However, even if you do not sign, you are of course not allowed to write any erroneous information in your CV. And who does it nevertheless, is not secured also with the signature in any form: If the boss discovers wrong data after some time, for example a title, which was never attained, a notice is naturally valid nevertheless.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator

11 minutes ago, lisa13 said:

Well then I must be a very special person.

Then I must also be!   (EDIT: used to have been...)

Amongst other places I worked for debis Systemhaus (the then-software house of Daimler) followed by the German branch of Sun Microsystems (subsequently Oracle) which I would claim to be "professional jobs" & never was asked to sign the CV itself.  Of course my covering letter with my application for the jobs were signed...

I don't see very much mileage here extrapolating general points from very personal, but unspecifed, experience.

The general expectation is that a CV is signed and dated. 

32 minutes ago, Kommentarlos said:

I don't see very much mileage here extrapolating general points from very personal, but unspecifed, experience.

:D

Then Toytown would consist of a few minor notices and not much else...

2 hours ago, lisa13 said:

Well then I must be a very special person. Many interviews in a variety of locations, and three jobs here in Munich, never asked to do that. 

The arbeitsamt also didn't say a word in that direction when I had to visit them for a mandatory CV check. They had plenty of other things to say but not that.

Maybe some employers require that but clearly not all. Or as I said, maybe I am just very special.

Or maybe you are just living in an expat bubble?

6 minutes ago, engelchen said:

anything is possible.  I think it's more likely a software bubble if it's a bubble at all.

2 hours ago, engelchen said:

I see well over 100 cvs per year and I don´t recall a signature, although it is filtered first by HR, so perhaps the signature is only in the cover letter.

2 hours ago, lisa13 said:

I think it's more likely a software bubble if it's a bubble at all.

In the IT field Im pretty sure that all the signed CVs I have ever seen have been from Indians (for whom it is quite common, somewhere around a third to a half sign their CV) and never from a german. Signed cover letters are common, but bearing in mind most people apply electronically even these are often not signed and where they are it is often a scanned signature pasted in that looks weird.

That said, our HR team claims that in general it is common for germans to sign CVs, just not for whatever reason the several hundred that apply to us every year.  

1 minute ago, MikeMelga said:

I see well over 100 cvs per year and I don´t recall a signature, although it is filtered first by HR, so perhaps the signature is only in the cover letter.

Exactly my experience.

Its either outdated information that HR people share between each other (possible), or its just not common in some industries. 

My gut feeling is that since application by email has become common people tend not to print, sign then scan but send the original electronic document as word or pdf.

45 minutes ago, zwiebelfisch said:

That said, our HR team claims that in general it is common for germans to sign CVs, just not for whatever reason the several hundred that apply to us every year.  

:lol:

I work in öffentlicher Dienst and was required to sign my CV before I signed my contract. Perhaps in the private sector, the rules are more relaxed. 

The thing I learn about Germany, after all these years ….
In all my jobs in various German offices i've never signed my CV. Cover letter, yes, CV, no.
My husband who has worked for both multinational coporation and research institute doesn't sign his CV and never got any signed CV from applicants that he interviewed either.

On 09/10/2019, 20:46:15, MikeMelga said:

I hope you are being sarcastic, because SW developers are probably the most autistic professional group.

I could spend hours telling crazy stories.

No I was not being sarcastic.   I repeat, your experience does not match mine.  I recognise that, almost certainly, neither of us has a large enough sample in our experience pool to form a definitive conclusion. 

Further, your claim about being SW developers being "probably the most autistic professional group" is clearly hyperbole, at best, or absolute twaddle, at worst, UNLESS YOU HAVE EXPERIENCE OF EVERY PROFESSIONAL GROUP.  

1 hour ago, starkebogen said:

Further, your claim about being SW developers being "probably the most autistic professional group" is clearly hyperbole, at best, or absolute twaddle, at worst, UNLESS YOU HAVE EXPERIENCE OF EVERY PROFESSIONAL GROUP.

I doubt its "the most autistic profession", partly because depending how you play with the statistics you can always find another group that better fits but also because I know a little about professors of hard sciences and math and Im pretty sure they have IT beat.  

Dont know about actual statistics by profession, I suspect they dont exist.  But there is some evidence that technology generally does have higher levels of autism, which to be blunt I doubt many of us are surprised by:  https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/autism-experiment-reveals-people-in-technical-professions-are-more-likely-to-have-autistic-traits-a6719956.html

IT is often listed as a good job, together with things like working with animals (which strikes me as very unlike software dev, but there you have it).  Example https://www.appliedbehavioranalysisprograms.com/lists/5-good-career-choices-for-people-with-autism-spectrum-disorder/ or https://www.iidc.indiana.edu/pages/Choosing-the-Right-Job-for-People-with-Autism-or-Aspergers-Syndrome

Note also that software development is a very diverse field.  A typical big data/analytics software pro for example has little to no overlap with a javascript hipster.