About the employment situation in the city

115 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Krieg said:

P.S., We do not let managers conduct technical interviews because they might end up like @MikeMelga asking about relative new standards and thinking that not knowing them means you are not worthy.   The manager of the position can be present in the technical interview, but it is normally conducted by a technical person, like a lead programmer, an architect, and so on.

C++11 is not a new standard!!! And yes, a good C++ developer MUST know C++11, otherwise he is out of touch with reality.

Although only approved in 2011, the actual discussion started well more than 10 years ago.

1 hour ago, Krieg said:

Why can't we just combine things?  What would you say about a mostly OO language but with some functional programming features?  We could share syntax with Java so people can get convinced easily to move to it and even let them use Java itself too withit in.

functional programming is a methodology and set of techniques, just as OOP is.  Nothing about Java prevents you from developing parts (or even all) of your application using functional programming methodologies.  java and c++ are not overly restrictive wrt which paradigms they support.

here, have at it :)   http://tutorials.jenkov.com/java-functional-programming/index.html

1 hour ago, lisa13 said:

functional programming is a methodology and set of techniques, just as OOP is

Quite so. 

2 hours ago, dj_jay_smith said:

X is dead and that he is doing Y and that this is the future.

this is completely endemic in the IT world, hipsters claiming that $current is dead and $new is the future.  Sometimes its true, but mostly its just navel gazing.  

In the case of functional, Scala has been the darling of the hipster next big thing crowd for ages and has stubornly failed to show any real progress in the real world.  I wouldnt count on it ever happening, most likely the next next big thing will kill it before functional gets out of the hype and really takes off.

9 minutes ago, zwiebelfisch said:

Quite so. 

this is completely endemic in the IT world, hipsters claiming that $current is dead and $new is the future.  Sometimes its true, but mostly its just navel gazing.  

In the case of functional, Scala has been the darling of the hipster next big thing crowd for ages and has stubornly failed to show any real progress in the real world.  I wouldnt count on it ever happening, most likely the next next big thing will kill it before functional gets out of the hype and really takes off.

My bet is on Julia being the next big thing

22 hours ago, engelchen said:

What do people lie about?

I had one candidate who put my exact project at Toyota on his resume.  Everything was correct except He Wasn't There....I Was.  I revealed this to him after the interview finished and then blackballed him with an email blast to everyone I knew in the industry....not to mention his recruiter.  Talk about coincidence.

19 hours ago, catjones said:

then blackballed him with an email blast to everyone I knew in the industry.

While what you did the candidate deserved, it might be illegal. If you wrote to others that would leave evidence. 

Note that the person probably deserved it. But I wouldn't expose myself to the danger of someone finding out who blackballed someone and getting in legal trouble.

3 hours ago, mako1 said:

While what you did the candidate deserved, it might be illegal. If you wrote to others that would leave evidence. 

Note that the person probably deserved it. But I wouldn't expose myself to the danger of someone finding out who blackballed someone and getting in legal trouble.

1.  It happened in the US where not everyone is a amateur lawyer.

2.  Facts are not against the law.

3.  What I did was a PSA ...professional service announcement.

4.  mako1...are you trying to get back at me for your failed, but corrupt, career?

Some guy in Berlin asks a question about getting a job at McD and all of a sudden we have a pissing contest between some ITers... 

10 hours ago, Dubya said:

Some guy in Berlin asks a question about getting a job at McD and all of a sudden we have a pissing contest between some ITers... 

Read his original post- the comment on McDonald job was a very small part of his post!

On 10/11/2019, 3:45:32, catjones said:

4.  mako1...are you trying to get back at me for your failed, but corrupt, career?

Hey Catjones,

Since I am scrupulously honest in my CV and understated in my interviews, I don't really have much of a career to destroy.

I assumed, due to the medium (Toytown Germany) that it had taken place in Germany, where reducing someone's chance of employment is in certain cases illegal. (z.B. Arbeitszeugnis).

Facts have nothing to do with it. Germans want people employed, all people.

and note I made it clear I did not disagree with what you did.

1.  It happened in the US where not everyone is a amateur lawyer.

But if it happened in Germany you would find everyone is a fanatical rule follower, when it is to their advantage.

Also note that Germans don't lie on their CVs, or at least show a great fear of doing that. You have to sign your CV here stating what what is there is factual. And as in most places, telling falsehoods in your CV can get you fired and will sooner or later backfire.

carry on.

4 hours ago, mako1 said:

You have to sign your CV here stating what what is there is factual.

I have never had to do any such thing in Germany.  Ever.

I was an English language trainer for Airbus for a couple of decades!

About 8 or 9 years ago, there was a new boss and I was asked to provide a CV!

This annoyed me.. I wrote some stuff down going back to my teenage years but refused to attach a photograph ( which the buggers had asked for ).

?

Never ask a gentleman what he now looks like!

?

Did I get that right?

?

4 hours ago, lisa13 said:

I have never had to do any such thing in Germany.  Ever.

Standard CV is signed in Deutschland, at least for professional jobs.

6 hours ago, mako1 said:

Standard CV is signed in Deutschland, at least for professional jobs.

5 hours ago, lisa13 said:

Nope.

Sorry @lisa13, @mako1 is right.

The Germans (especially those with traditional German HR Departments) expect that applicants sign their CVs, thereby confirming the accuracy of the contents. 

50 minutes ago, engelchen said:

The Germans (especially those with traditional German HR Departments) expect that applicants sign their CVs, thereby confirming the accuracy of the contents. 

Location, date, signature are standard signature format on CVs for those not familiar with DE conventions.

Maybe some do it but I've never signed a CV and never been asked to.  I work through Hays a lot and there is usually a telephone interview, or sometimes in person, where the client has the opportunity to ask and verify that I know what I am supposed to.

I have actually not come across people lying on their CV here that I know of, at least not blatantly, but I know of one where a consulting firm completely faked a CV for an applicant they wanted to place with a client. However, the applicant either wasn't in on it or got cold feet because when he started to get grilled on the interview about experience he didn't have, he asked to see the CV they were looking at and then claimed it wasn't his. Let's say that the client will not be working with that agency in the future ;)

2 hours ago, engelchen said:

Well then I must be a very special person. Many interviews in a variety of locations, and three jobs here in Munich, never asked to do that. 

The arbeitsamt also didn't say a word in that direction when I had to visit them for a mandatory CV check. They had plenty of other things to say but not that.

Maybe some employers require that but clearly not all. Or as I said, maybe I am just very special.