Brexit residency application in Hamburg

3 posts in this topic

Can anyone offer any information about Hamburg offices. I will apply for my permit residency due to Brexit. Uk living in Germany since 2013. I am married to my husband who is Germany and we both live in Hamburg. I am self employed so my german skills in language are poor as i know the absolute basics. This worries me as it says you need adequate german skills to get the permit.

I already have a permit got this when we got married in 2013 but i now need the permeant permit. I have private health insurance, i have a german driving licence , UK passport. Tax returns are join with my husband. Any info would help as i am really worried i wont be accepted.

8 minutes ago, kimrib23 said:

Can anyone offer any information about Hamburg offices. I will apply for my permit residency due to Brexit. Uk living in Germany since 2013. I am married to my husband who is Germany and we both live in Hamburg. I am self employed so my german skills in language are poor as i know the absolute basics. This worries me as it says you need adequate german skills to get the permit.

I already have a permit got this when we got married in 2013 but i now need the permeant permit. I have private health insurance, i have a german driving licence , UK passport. Tax returns are join with my husband. Any info would help as i am really worried i wont be accepted.

Normally to get permanent residency you will need German to B1 level, the same as if you applied for citizenship.  So you will have to take an exam to prove this.

(Do you know that being married to a German, then you can get citizenship after just 3 years of living in Germany (2 years married) instead of the normal 8 years in Germany?  Probably too late now anyway if you wanted to have both UK & DE citizenship.)

1 minute ago, dj_jay_smith said:

Normally to get permanent residency you will need German to B1 level, the same as if you applied for citizenship.  So you will have to take an exam to prove this.

(Do you know that being married to a German, then you can get citizenship after just 3 years of living in Germany (2 years married) instead of the normal 8 years in Germany?  Probably too late now anyway if you wanted to have both UK & DE citizenship.)

I am not looking for citizenship just permeant residency