How does EHIC work in DE during temporary stay

4 posts in this topic

Hi, as I've posted before, I'm considering moving to Germany from Italy.  I'm a dual US/Italian citizen permanently living in Italy.  I have my tessera sanitaria, which includes the EHIC.  What I'm planning now is for my first visit to Germany, I'll be staying about 6 weeks, then I'll be returning in the spring for about 3-4 months.  Then I'll make a decision whether to move to Germany or stay in Italy.  I've searched the forum and can't find the info I need, hence the new topic.  

I'm not exactly sure how the Eur health insurance works.  In one place I read that it's just for emergency medical care and in another place I read that it can be used for any medical needs that come up, as long as it's something you would see your doctor at home about.  Can someone clarify that for me? 

What happens if I need to refill a prescription, not necessarily during this 6 week visit, but during the longer visit.  Do I just take the box/bottle to a pharmacy and ask for a refill?  Do I have to go to a doctor for a prescription?  Do I need a copy of the Italian prescription?  Any one of all of the above options?  

I may go to an orthopedic surgeon for a consultation (private pay) while I'm there.  Do I just call and make an appointment?   I'm not able to speak German yet (I'm working on it).  in general, how reasonable is it to expect to talk to someone who knows some english?

Officially, I'm supposed to register my residence within 3 weeks.  I don't plan to do that during this visit, since I'll be in a B&B.  For the longer visit, I probably should register, but I read in one forum that I have to show proof of German insurance if I stay longer than 3 months.  Is that correct?  If so, I obviously won't stay longer than 3 months.  But it doesn't make any sense to me, because I won't register as a permanent resident unless/until I move to Germany as a permanent resident.  I'm confused.

I'll stop there for now...Thanks in advance,

Mary Anne 

28 minutes ago, Maradel said:

I'm not exactly sure how the Eur health insurance works. 

There is no "Eur health insurance", sorry.

In one place I read that it's just for emergency medical care and in another place I read that it can be used for any medical needs that come up, as long as it's something you would see your doctor at home about.  Can someone clarify that for me? 

The European health insurance card (EHIC) is sufficient to receive medical treatment abroad in the event of an accident or acute illness. The card is not intended to be used for planned medical treatment. If you want to undergo treatment abroad that is not an emergency or acute illness, you must first clarify with your (italian) health insurance company whether the costs will be covered – or not. If the costs are not covered you will have to pay them on your own. 

However, I am quite sure that there are also Italian websites that explain all this very well.

Here's a German one, https://www.krankenkassen.de/ausland/Europaeische-Krankenversicherungskarte/

"The presentation of the European Health Insurance Card is sufficient to receive medical treatment abroad in the event of an accident or acute illness. Then you are entitled to the benefits that prove to be medically necessary during your stay in the territory of another EU Member State. The costs incurred will be reimbursed by the patient's statutory health insurance."

"If, for certain reasons, insured persons consciously decide to receive treatment abroad, they must first clarify with the health insurance fund whether the costs will be covered. This also applies to chroniclers if the disease requires special medical monitoring and the use of special techniques or equipment (e.g. dialysis treatment). The area covered by the European Health Insurance Card EHIC applies only to immediate medical needs (e.g. broken leg, sick tooth, viral infection and similar emergencies) or to ongoing care for chronic conditions such as diabetes".

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator

What happens if I need to refill a prescription, not necessarily during this 6 week visit, but during the longer visit.  Do I just take the box/bottle to a pharmacy and ask for a refill? 

No. You don't get prescription drugs without a prescription. 

Do I have to go to a doctor for a prescription?  Do I need a copy of the Italian prescription?  Any one of all of the above options?  

Take enough medication with you from home. Simple.

I may go to an orthopedic surgeon for a consultation (private pay) while I'm there.  Do I just call and make an appointment? I'm not able to speak German yet (I'm working on it).  in general, how reasonable is it to expect to talk to someone who knows some english?

Search from Italy for doctors who speak English or even Italian and make an appointment with one of them. 

Start with https://www.kbv.de/html/arztsuche.php – then go to the search pages of the respective federal states and start your search there. 

Officially, I'm supposed to register my residence within 3 weeks. 

2 weeks.

If so, I obviously won't stay longer than 3 months.  But it doesn't make any sense to me,

Either you're here as a tourist - then you don't register at all. Or you want to live here - then you have to register within two weeks. And for that you need a health insurance recognized in Germany. 

9 minutes ago, someonesdaughter said:

There is no "Eur health insurance", sorry.

EHIC is what I meant; ie, coverage throughout the EU that's part of member country insurance.

11 minutes ago, someonesdaughter said:

The area covered by the European Health Insurance Card EHIC applies only to immediate medical needs (e.g. broken leg, sick tooth, viral infection and similar emergencies) or to ongoing care for chronic conditions such as diabetes".

OK, the chronic condition coverage is what I hadn't seen specifically mentioned on other sites.  That's what I was wondering about.

12 minutes ago, someonesdaughter said:

Search from Italy for doctors who speak English or even Italian and make an appointment with one of them. 

ok, that was probably a stupid question anyway.  Whether a doctor speaks english will not be my main criterion for selecting him/her.  I was wondering more about staff who answer phones. The reason I asked was because some people I've talked to have said "almost everyone in Germany speaks English"  I'm sure that's not true.  

Stupid question.  Sorry, I'm probably too tired to do this tonight.  

33 minutes ago, someonesdaughter said:

Either you're here as a tourist - then you don't register at all. Or you want to live here - then you have to register within two weeks. And for that you need a health insurance recognized in Germany. 

So I don't have to do an Anmeldung even if I'm in Germany for several months?  Anmeldung is separate from registering as a resident, or am I still confused?

Thank you for answering!

14 minutes ago, Maradel said:

EHIC is what I meant; ie, coverage throughout the EU that's part of member country insurance.

Limited coverage, yes.

I was wondering more about staff who answer phones. The reason I asked was because some people I've talked to have said "almost everyone in Germany speaks English"  I'm sure that's not true.  

Correct, it's not true. And usually doctors don't answer the phone but doctor's receptionists. That's why I recommended that you start your search in Italy. 

So I don't have to do an Anmeldung even if I'm in Germany for several months? 

No, only three months. 

Anmeldung is separate from registering as a resident, or am I still confused?

You are still confused, "Anmeldung" is the German word for registration.