Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Moving away and deregistering. Do you need confirmation from your landlord?

11 posts in this topic

Hello, I am going to the Burgeramt tomorrow to deregister myself (I am leaving in two weeks).

But I read on the city of Cologne's website that I need a confirmation from my landlord that I am/will move out. But on other pages on the same site it says a confirmation is not needed. Does anyone know what is correct?

I don't want to go through the waiting process just to be turned away and told to get my landlord to sign something else.

Thanks

10 minutes ago, perthpanda said:

But I read on the city of Cologne's website that I need a confirmation from my landlord that I am/will move out.

Are you sure you got that right?

https://www.stadt-koeln.de/service/produkt/abmeldung-ihres-wohnsitzes-3

says the opposite:

"Am 1. November 2016 wurde das Bundemeldegesetz geändert. Eine Wohnungsgeberbescheinigung ist bei einer Abmeldung beziehungsweise einem Auszug nicht mehr erforderlich."

It used to be that you needed confirmation to move out, but that's obsolete. Probably the Cologn city hall isn't very diligent updating its own website.

11 minutes ago, someonesdaughter said:

Are you sure you got that right?

https://www.stadt-koeln.de/service/produkt/abmeldung-ihres-wohnsitzes-3

says the opposite:

"Am 1. November 2016 wurde das Bundemeldegesetz geändert. Eine Wohnungsgeberbescheinigung ist bei einer Abmeldung beziehungsweise einem Auszug nicht mehr erforderlich."

I read it here, but on second reading the line might refer to it being "when necessary"?

" 1 Bestätigung vom Vermieter oder der Vermieterin. "

https://www.stadt-koeln.de/leben-in-koeln/soziales/wohnsitz-abmelden

9 minutes ago, Smaug said:

It used to be that you needed confirmation to move out, but that's obsolete. Probably the Cologn city hall isn't very diligent updating its own website.

What?! You needed permission from the landlord to move abroad? What could they do, arrest me and keep in Germany forever?

Anyway, do Abmeldung and do not forget to do Abmeldung at your Krankenkasse and GEZ (even though they cannot chase you, it's better to be able to come to Germany as a tourist and be sure there will be no surprises at the border). The copy of your Abmeldung paper will be needed to deregister you as well as terminate all other contracts.

2 hours ago, yourkeau said:

What?! You needed permission from the landlord to move abroad? What could they do, arrest me and keep in Germany forever?

No, you needed confirmation from the Wohnungsgeber to deregister. They took that out of the Registration Act (I think less than a year later). I presume it caused too many headaches. I find it preposterous as well.

2 hours ago, perthpanda said:

I read it here, but on second reading the line might refer to it being "when necessary"?

" 1 Bestätigung vom Vermieter oder der Vermieterin. "

https://www.stadt-koeln.de/leben-in-koeln/soziales/wohnsitz-abmelden

That's all obsolete. Someone needs to kick someone else's ass at the Cologne city hall.

This is what you get when you try to download the "Abmeldungformular"  that your landlord is supposed to fill in, but I guess you didn't try that:

form-capture.JPG

There was a time when the central register wasn't that heavily computerized as it is now, so when you registered at a new place, you had to show a deregistration from the previous place.

The new town would then write a letter to the old town that you now live with them, and anybody complaining about unpaid bills (or whatever) at the old place could be send to the new place.

Please also keep in mind that military service was mandatory in D and some folks would try to get away by moving around like non-digital nomads, so this "Anmeldung nur mit Abmeldung" was taken very serious when young lads moved from A to B...

Cologne hasn't updated the webpage, that's all.

Just now, dj_jay_smith said:

You mean nomads!

Well, digital nomads can be reached all the time, the folks I mentioned definitely did not want to be reached by the powers to be... :-)

Just a follow up. The Einwohnermeldeamt did NOT need any confirmation from my landlord. They simply asked for the date when I depart Germany. They did not ask for my future address, but asked which country I was moving to. Got my Abmeldebestätigung now and cancelling my other contracts including Krankenkasse has all been smooth sailing.