Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Landlord refuses / delays repairs

6 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

So my problem is that the Landlord is at first delaying a repair of the broken blinds / jalouisines for over 4 months. The repair man was here a month and a half ago and took it down, then the landlord said that the repairman has gone to ReHa and now I have to wait for him to come back in order to repair the jalousine.

Secondly, as the cold weather is coming we started to heat as we have a 3 year old and it gets a bit cold at night. The heating doesnt work, it heats only up to 2 out of 4. The sound it makes is like something out of a nightmare (yes I have let the air go out of it). I reported that to the Landlord and he said that unfortunately I need to contact a heating company as there is a lack of repairmans in our region wich I belive is absurd.

What should I do now? Is there anything legal I can do? I mean not having a heating is a huge health risk, not having blinds in your bedroom is privacy issue (?)

Hey Square, are you a member of the Mieterverein? Join if you're not. They should help you.

12 minutes ago, McDee said:

Hey Square, are you a member of the Mieterverein? Join if you're not. They should help you.

That is the problem, I have no idea where should I join or rather to say if that is something inside city/village or a building or...

Yes, join the Mieterverein. They will advise you and write a letter to your landlord on your behalf giving him a time limit (ca. 10 days usually) in which he should get the repairs done. If he doesn't react within that time limit you can have the repairs done by a craftsman of your choice. You will have to pay the bill but the cost you can deduct from the next rent. This will all be stated in the letter. This is how it has worked for me in similar situations with my landlady.