Dual citizen US and DE moving family to Germany

9 posts in this topic

Sorry for the newbie question.  I married my girlfriend in the USA and are baby will be born here very soon.  I, also, hold a German passport and we want to relocate to Germany next year.  Will this be an issue as we were married in the US and our son will be born in the US?  Or will we be fine once we get to Germany and as I am a citizen my wife will be allowed a work visa and son to live here too?  Thanks!

Your children are German citizens because of you. You just have to do the paperwork. Your wife can get a visa to stay because of you too.

Last question.  Will my wife need to meet a language requirement?  Some sites I've read said spouse needs A1 and others say B2. A1 no problem but B2 that's a whole another issue.  Also, wondering if we can apply for her visa while in the States or need to wait until we arrive in Germany.  Thank you!

Since your wife is a US citizen, the process will be relatively quick and painless. US is still considered a "priviledged country".

Just a few details off of the top of my head - since my husband (US citizen) and I just went through the process recently:

You need what's called "Apostille" for your marriage certificate.

As soon as possible, when you are in Germany, go to Bürgeramt and register your residence (Wohnsitz anmelden).

Your next stop is for health insurance. There you will got to your last gesetzliche Krankenkasse (hope you were a member of one before you moved to the US), register yourself, and then include your wife and child as dependents (in der Familienversicherung).

With proof of insurance, Meldebescheinigung, and marriage certificate plus Apostille, you then go to Ausländeramt (some places you can just show up, some other places you need an appointment) and get Aufenthaltserlaubnis for your wife.

They will tell you that she needs to learn German, of course - and then give you a list of places where she can take a full length "Integrationskurs". All you need is level A1 after 6 months. She can teach herself, or go to VHS or Goethe Institut, to prepare for the test. If she later wants to get a "Niederlassungserlaubnis", that would require a level of B2 or higher - about five years from now.

Good luck!

49 minutes ago, karin_brenig said:

If she later wants to get a "Niederlassungserlaubnis", that would require a level of B2 or higher - about five years from now.

This should be B1 or higher.

1 hour ago, karin_brenig said:

With proof of insurance, Meldebescheinigung, and marriage certificate plus Apostille, you then go to Ausländeramt (some places you can just show up, some other places you need an appointment) and get Aufenthaltserlaubnis for your wife.

I would have expected also enough income to support the spouse. Is that not necessary?

13 hours ago, Mabuse said:

Last question.  Will my wife need to meet a language requirement?  Some sites I've read said spouse needs A1 and others say B2. A1 no problem but B2 that's a whole another issue.  Also, wondering if we can apply for her visa while in the States or need to wait until we arrive in Germany.  Thank you!

I am a US citizen and just went through this process. I did not need any language proficiency for my original residence visa. I asked whether I need one for my subsequent renewal and they said they will need to look into that and get back to me! I am enrolled in B2 at the vhs anyway. So I don’t anticipate a problem. It seems that different offices have different procedures!

Thank you all for the quick replies!  I probably should have mentioned my wife is Filipino and not a US citizen.  She is a Permanent Resident working in medical technology.  Anyway, actually just got this reply from the German Consulate in Los Angeles:

"since you have a child together, your wife won’t need a language certificate.

If you live within our jurisdiction, you may apply for the residence permit/family reunion from the US"

Thank you for your help!!