Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Smart home

10 posts in this topic

So I was wondering what experience people on here have with Smart Home devices in Germany.

We need to replace some lights, so are thinking about replacing these with Smart lights and starting the journey.

But I want to maintain some compatibility and look towards the future a bit with what I do.

I have ruled out Wifi as a standard to use as it is not secure enough and I don't want it interfering with my home Wifi network.

I was thinking that Zigbee looks maybe the best standard to go for, and based on that I quite like the options from Ikea with their TRÅDFRI range.  

I like that I can get just a couple of lights at the beginning and just use a remote, and then later buy a hub to connect them to.

Any other have experiences they want to share?

I was also looking at some Smart Plugs (for when I do get a hub).  I would like some which include energy monitoring, and then be able to trigger actions when it drops below a certain threshold for a period of time.  E.g.  to monitor when the dryer/washing machine (which are too new to replace with smart machines) in the cellar are finished.

But I am struggling to find such devices which can do this and support the Zigbee standard which seem to be reasonably priced.

In fact, I am struggling to find a good internet supplier of Smart Home technology in general.  Does anybody know one?

The problem with most sites, including Amazon, is that in order to find out which standard a device supports you can't see this in the search results.  Even if I search for Zigbee ... in amazon then most of the products shown are not Zigbee compatible, but I have to click on the product and scroll through the info to determine this which is very time consuming.

Anybody found some good websites?

Sorry, I have no experience with this, but I can't resist posting the famous video how to factory reset a smart light bulb (start watching from the 30-th second):

1 minute ago, yourkeau said:

Sorry, I have no experience with this, but I can't resist posting the famous video how to factory reset a smart light bulb:

Yes, I've seen this before.  Very good!

1 hour ago, Kommentarlos said:

The smarter the home the dumber the occupant over time. 

??

Switching light bulbs manually does not make you smarter.

The biggest problem as already mentioned by topic starter is security: basically, there is none. So, I will wait until something will be done in this area, it's all very promising.

I thought the concept of a smart home was "cool" since I like the latest technology, but when I thought about it it mostly boils down to turning the heat down when you are gone (which most programmable thermostats can do for you) and turning lights on and off. 

The crazier ideas like the Siemens refrigerator with integrated webcams seem rather silly to me.  I do not want to be able to watch my milk curdle from the comfort of my workspace, nor do I want something that would order food for me.  I would really like to use home automation but I have not seen the "killer app" yet.  I would like to hear if other people think it is worth it though and why.

We have some at home.   The main problem you will face is not only different protocols but different apps.   Even if you buy only Zigbee products you still might need multiple apps for setup which is a PITA.  So I suggest you plan what you need and do some research about it.  

In our setup we have different brands and protocols and we try to minimize it.  So lights are all Philips Hue and smart plugs are all TP Link.  We have as well security cameras (outdoor and indoor), door and window sensors, and a few irrelevant devices.   We centralize everything with Alexa, Alexa Skills and Alexa tasks.   So some tasks are automatic and others started by voice.   It is useful for holidays, or when we are not at home, some lights are switched on here and there to pretend there is somewhere at home.

Originally we wanted to go with all IKEA products, but they were not available in Germany at the time.   I am not sure if they are all here nowadays, last time I checked they were not.

In general Home Automation is more a hobby to me, but it can be useful sometimes.   Of course you do not really NEED it, the haters will say it is a waste of time and money.   However, nowadays they are pretty cheap and they bring something extra.  Plenty of electronic items come nowadays with some sort of HA integration, like our Samsung TV.   Yes, you do not need it, but I find useful to just say "Alexa, turn off TV" when I am falling asleep instead of looking for the remote.

8 hours ago, Krieg said:

Yes, you do not need it, but I find useful to just say "Alexa, turn off TV" when I am falling asleep instead of looking for the remote.

Until you hear " I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that."

A friend recommended to me the Hom.ee device - it is a hub that is compatible with almost everything out there. You just buy the add-on modules to extend the compatibility. There's the "brain" cube, and then the other cubes that you attach that can support Zigbee, Z-wave, and Enocean. And it's supposed to be compatible with Alex/Google and perhaps even AppleHomeKit.