Renting out my flat furnished and need advice

20 posts in this topic

Hello everyone, 

I am getting ready to move in together with my partner in a new flat and I would like to rent out my current flat - which I own - furnished since the new place has a fully functional kitchen and my partner and I have more than double furniture. 

Does any body has any experience with furnished rentals, as a landlord, and is willing to help with the below question? 

Most people interested in rent furnished flat are either new to a city or coming from abroad, so I guess they are looking to have as minimum paperwork to deal with. 

• Pros / Cons for providing an internet contract in my name?
  • Heating/water costs? how to deal with potential high costs if a tenant likes to have 25C inside the flat? 
    • Does the Hausverwaltung need to be informed about the new tenant? 
    • In case the tenant is to pay for the Heizenkosten, how can determine the meter reading, in and out, and do the calculation of costs? 
  • Do I need to have any insurance as a landlord when renting out?
  • Does anyone have a draft contract for furnished rentals?

Many thanks in advance

I rent out 3 furnished apartments. I rent them with an all in price that includes heating, electricity and internet.

I would recommend renting through an agency like homecompany or Mitwohnzentrale. I use Homecompany. They understand the market better than me, are not afraid to tell me when something needs to be improved, and get me high consistent rents.

Do companies like that also advise on *how* to furnish the apartments? As in what style choices and to what standard?

18 hours ago, MadAxeMurderer said:

I would recommend renting through an agency like homecompany or Mitwohnzentrale. I use Homecompany. They understand the market better than me, are not afraid to tell me when something needs to be improved, and get me high consistent rents.

Thanks for your input @MadAxeMurderer, homecompany is simply too expensive :) : 2X warm rent.

28 minutes ago, samdann said:

Thanks for your input @MadAxeMurderer, homecompany is simply too expensive :) : 2X warm rent.

Wunderflats is cheaper. I got my most recent tenant through Wunderflats (HomeCompany was unable to find me one).

Actually I think Homecompany charge 16% of the monthly rent. They charge it to me now, not the tenant, but simply raised the rent so my income is the same. Since they admister 3 apartments for me I think they consider me to be a valuable landlord and take good care of me.

13 minutes ago, tor said:

and a nice guy to boot.

Aside from all the mad axe murdering, of course.

32 minutes ago, MadAxeMurderer said:

Actually I think Homecompany charge 16% of the monthly rent.

I just checked Wunderflats, they charge 11.9 %

Edit: FWIW, their FAQ states a fee of 11.9% including tax, but the monthly calculator  shows 116 Euros for one month's rent of 1,000 Euros. Similar enough.;)

well, he ain't never murdered me, and he bought me a beer....so we're good.

Another question.

How is it to get the heating meters numbers at start/end ? and how easy it is for a Hausverwaltung to provide calculated costs for a given period? 

46 minutes ago, samdann said:

Another question.

How is it to get the heating meters numbers at start/end ? and how easy it is for a Hausverwaltung to provide calculated costs for a given period? 

You'd just read the meters.

I doubt the Hausverwaltung is going to do any work that they are not required to do, such as calculating the prorated utility costs within a custom period of time that's based on your meter readings and when your tenants moved in and out, regardless of how easy it is. I just charge my tenants a flat, all-inclusive rent. That's easier for everybody.

thanks @Smaug

I have one more question.

If I provide internet for the tenant, what is the best way of protecting myself from any issues with illegal downloading? 

In case I get a fine, will the rental contract be sufficient to charge them directly? 

Many thanks

6 minutes ago, samdann said:

thanks @Smaug

I have one more question.

If I provide internet for the tenant, what is the best way of protecting myself from any issues with illegal downloading? 

In case I get a fine, will the rental contract be sufficient to charge them directly? 

Many thanks

Include a form like this one as an annex to the rental contract.