Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Temporary Lodging - Hotel Suggestions

12 posts in this topic

Hi there ! I am moving to Munich in about 3 weeks and since it will take some time to find an apartment, I will likely end up in a hotel for at least a couple of weeks or so.

While I can definitely find a lot of hotels online, I would definitely like to hear from people who have either visited or live in the area and know more about the hotels in the Munich center.

I am mostly looking around Grillparzerstraße or near that.

Please let me know if you have any nice suggestions to make. I think I will probably be looking to pay around 100-120$ per night, I have found quite a few options near that range.

Thanks !

You're expecting to find an apartment in Munich in "a couple of weeks or so"?

Make that more like 6 months minimum and you may have a chance.

This has been discussed many times online, in fact just a few days or so ago.... As it turns out in another thread you opened. I know you're asking here about temporary accommodation, but I get the impression it still hasn't sunk in just how difficult it will be to find an apartment here.

I hope you can pay €100 to €120 per night for at least 6 months while you search, otherwise you'll be on a plane back home.

Good luck anyway.

18 hours ago, Malt-Teaser said:

You're expecting to find an apartment in Munich in "a couple of weeks or so"?

Make that more like 6 months minimum and you may have a chance.

This has been discussed many times online, in fact just a few days or so ago... As it turns out in another thread you opened. I know you're asking here about temporary accommodation, but I get the impression it still hasn't sunk in just how difficult it will be to find an apartment here.

I hope you can pay €100 to €120 per night for at least 6 months while you search, otherwise you'll be on a plane back home.

Good luck anyway.

You didn't understand what I meant at all. I just want to get a couple of weeks in ONE hotel once I get there and if i like it I will extend my stay there, if not I will look for another one. Or maybe get an airbnb, who knows. I was not implying that I expect to find a new apartment in 2 weeks, you got it completely wrong there. I got it, it's hard to find an apartment to rent, no need to mention it in all your posts.

I'll hop onto the bandwagon - you don't seem to have done much if any research. Air BnB is forbidden in Munich if you rent out your flat for longer than 8 weeks in any year. Your budget is pretty good and there are places available, BUT...you are a foreigner. You have no history, newly arrived, no credit, no back up, no solid work history. You don't speak the lingo.

Why on earth would a Landlord choose you over the many Germans also looking? Or a foreigner who has a solid history? We aren't keen on fly-by-nights or strangers, renters have a lot of rights here so it's in their interest to be certain that they choose a good renter (which you may well be, incidentally, but on the outside, you are not desirable).

We all have stories of people who've been looking for months or years and they have a solid background. Leave your "but in the US we do it like so" thinking behind.

You may be lucky. But then again, you may not. That is the risk you're facing

Edit, one handy link

https://www.concept-living-munich.de/

You can smooth over the "no job, no credit, no history" problem by offering to pay rent in advance for a year. Of course, you have to have the kind of cash to do that and you are taking a risk if you end up hating the place.

23 minutes ago, camlough said:

I'll hop onto the bandwagon - you don't seem to have done much if any research. Air BnB is forbidden in Munich if you rent out your flat for longer than 8 weeks in any year. Your budget is pretty good and there are places available, BUT...you are a foreigner. You have no history, newly arrived, no credit, no back up, no solid work history. You don't speak the lingo.

Why on earth would a Landlord choose you over the many Germans also looking? Or a foreigner who has a solid history? We aren't keen on fly-by-nights or strangers, renters have a lot of rights here so it's in their interest to be certain that they choose a good renter (which you may well be, incidentally, but on the outside, you are not desirable).

We all have stories of people who've been looking for months or years and they have a solid background. Leave your "but in the US we do it like so" thinking behind.

You may be lucky. But then again, you may not. That is the risk you're facing

Edit, one handy link

https://www.concept-living-munich.de/

In that case, I will probably end up in a hotel :)

Thanks for the link, looks useful ! I will take a closer look.

6 minutes ago, BradinBayern said:

You can smooth over the "no job, no credit, no history" problem by offering to pay rent in advance for a year. Of course, you have to have the kind of cash to do that and you are taking a risk if you end up hating the place.

I was pretty sure that this is the case, which is understandable of course. In fact, I've mentioned that in another thread i made some time ago. But we will see, for now I will have to get some temporary lodging for as long as it takes.

I do have a job though, but no Germany related history.

2 minutes ago, hthought said:

I do have a job though, but no Germany related history.

Yes, but have you completed your "Probezeit"?  

1 minute ago, BradinBayern said:

Yes, but have you completed your "Probezeit"?  

I don't have a probation period, i am transferred from the US.

4 minutes ago, hthought said:

I don't have a probation period, i am transferred from the US.

That will help. Make sure you have a copy of your contract (hopefully in German) when you go to meet landlords.  Can your company help at all?  I had an apartment for 6 months and then help from my HR Department to find one after that.