Parking slightly on sidewalk

85 posts in this topic

Sometimes I park my 2nd car in front of the garage. This means that perhaps 30-40cm of the front occupy about half the sidewalk. This is a super quiet street with a car passing once every 20 minutes. Also I only do it from 18:00 till 7:00 in the morning, not many people are passing by.

As we are in Germany (surprise!), tonight one neighbor ( I don't know him) rang on my bell during dinner and told me I had to remove the car, because children use the sidewalk.

As he was shouting from the fence and I was not street-dressed, I just ignored him. My guess is that his next move is to call the police, especially because I did not move the car during dinner, as he expected.

Although I know occupying the sidewalk is not perfectly legal, should I be worried about it? Not many places to park around...

If he reports it and the Ordnungsamt, and they come then you will get a ticket and have to pay the fine.  Parking on the pavement is strictly forbidden unless it is marked as allowed.

You know I live in an area with a very narrow pavement and even when a car accidentally parks on the kerb, with the wing mirrors sticking out it makes it impossible to get past with a buggy half the time.  So I find it very selfish of somebody to park in such a way without consideration of others at all.

As it is such a quiet street, and it is only 30-40 cm, then why not just park legally!

Also, I would suspect that if a child rides their bike along the pavement and accidentally crashes/scratches your car, if it is parked illegally then it is possible that the insurance company will argue that you have some responsibility and therefore you will have to cover some repair costs yourself!  

2 hours ago, dj_jay_smith said:

If he reports it and the Ordnungsamt, and they come then you will get a ticket and have to pay the fine.  Parking on the pavement is strictly forbidden unless it is marked as allowed.

You know I live in an area with a very narrow pavement and even when a car accidentally parks on the kerb, with the wind mirrors sticking out it makes it impossible to get past with a buggy half the time.  So I find it very selfish of somebody to park in such a way without consideration of others at all.

The height difference between the kerb and the road is 3cm. It´s not more than marking.

As it is such a quiet street, and it is only 30-40 cm, then why not just park legally!

The street is super narrow, just one car can pass at the time. No parking spots. And as it is close to the U-Bahn, it becomes quite difficult to find parking spots within 300 meters.

Also, I would suspect that if a child rides their bike along the pavement and accidentally crashes/scratches your car, if it is parked illegally then it is possible that the insurance company will argue that you have some responsibility and therefore you will have to cover some repair costs yourself! 

It is a "kids zone", meaning they actually play on the road.

There are several small kids there and all play on the road, the sidewalk is actually too narrow to use for bicycles.

Not to mention I only do it at night. No kids should be there.

12 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

The height difference between the kerb and the road is 3cm. It´s not more than marking.

The street is super narrow, just one car can pass at the time. No parking spots. And as it is close to the U-Bahn, it becomes quite difficult to find parking spots within 300 meters.

It is a "kids zone", meaning they actually play on the road.

There are several small kids there and all play on the road, the sidewalk is actually too narrow to use for bicycles.

Not to mention I only do it at night. No kids should be there.

This will not make any difference to the Ordnungsamt when they fine you!

BTW:  I read that if you park in such a way for more than 1 hour then the fine actually goes up!  So "doing it overnight" will actually increase the fine.

2 minutes ago, dj_jay_smith said:

This will not make any difference to the Ordnungsamt when they fine you!

I understand that. What I don´t understand is the absurd of the situation. Perhaps a picture would clarify how absurd it is, but I won´t disclose.

Parking in Germany is a mystery to me.  I see people just stop and get out of their cars in the middle of the road, not to mention the delivery trucks that think it is OK to block the entire lane during rush hour.  One time I had a flat tire and parked the car on the curb (not over the curb and not a major road) and went to get a better jack.  I was later changing the tire in the rain when a rather aggressive German person pulled over and starting yelling at me that I was blocking the road and that I was lucky that I didn't get towed etc. etc. etc. At first I thought he was going to help me change the tire.  Very American of me.  I just shrugged and told him the car had broken down.  That and the fact it was raining and I had a tire iron in my hand encouraged him to get back into his car and drive angrily away leaving me rather baffled. 

Fazit: major road during rush hour = OK to block entire lane.  No one will complain.

Side road, car broken down and only partially blocking one lane - get out of your car in the rain and scream at the person responsible.

??

Years ago I was pushing my daughter in her push chair where my way was blocked by bad parking. Now I could go around the car but what about a wheelchair? Ever used a wheelchair? They don't go down kerbs very well and people are easily tipped out of them. So I'm afraid no sympathy. If the street is quiet why don't you just park on the road? Sod's law also says one day a Blind person might want to get round your car as well.

Never get between a German and his Lebensraum.

You vill follow the rulez or he vill demand to see your papers, please!

But seriously - how hard is it to just park on the street? It's what the street's there for, after all. If you were supposed to park on the sidewalk, they'd call it a "sidepark", wouldn't they? Or at least post this sign:

5d8db513d8382_315-zeichen-parken-auf-geh

Well. If it's too absurd just shrug it off. Noone here is able to clarify this unless you send a picture. However first make sure you get into somebody elses shoes standing there with your car in plain sight. Just try to think how someone else might view the situation. You know a stranger never having set  foot to the area before not knowing whom to contact to get the car out of the way for whatever valid reason. If its still ok you dont need us here for support you wont be getting due to amount of sticklers. Put it into vent about a nitpicking neighbour to get it off your soul.

1 hour ago, El Jeffo said:

But seriously - how hard is it to just park on the street? It's what the street's there for, after all.

1 hour ago, MikeMelga said:

The street is super narrow, just one car can pass at the time. No parking spots.

I think we need a photo.

We have a massively wide pavement and one of those signs Jeffo posted above. Paps and various guests then proceed to park completely on the pavement. Duh. You can still get past, even on a bike or in a wheelchair, but just why? The sign is pretty clear....

On the point Mike is making, in our last Diensthaus we were also guilty of parking slightly over the pavement when we had the trailer attached and the whole thing parked in front of the garage, and if anyone had complained we would have moved immediately, because we knew we were entirely in the wrong. The neighbours were surprisingly nice about it and there was no issue, but that was luck, not our right.

This is a very cropped image of the street. A car is there for scale. When parked, only the front bumper "invades" the sidewalk.

road2.png

Some neighbors park on the side without sidewalk (is that legal??), but this makes it very hard to pass and impossible for the garbage truck.

15 minutes ago, Krieg said:

Low curb, not allowed to park there.

Really!

What contributes a low curb?  My road is rather old and all the curbs on both side are all low, as opposed to (as in the picture above) deliberately built that way.

Really!

What contributes a low curb?  My road is rather old and all the curbs on both side are all low, as opposed to (as in the picture above) deliberately built that way.

I have no idea in your street.  But pay attention when you walk around, when there is a driveway the curb is low then go back to normal.   In some places when you approach the corner the curb becomes low.  That's a simple indication of places you can't park.

https://verkehrslexikon.de/Module/BordsteinAbsenkung.php

But the first paragraph made be doubt if the "low curb = no parking" applies in the case of the posted picture, because it mentions it is not the same case from 5m.