Are school/Kindergarten places as much of a nightmare as I've read about?

5 posts in this topic

I've been offered a new job which would mean relocating my family (children age 5 and 8) from the UK to Berlin next summer. I'm trying to decide whether to accept the role and am doing research on schools, housing, etc.

From everything I've read, it sounds like a nightmare to get Kindergarten and Grundschule places in Berlin. I've heard of waiting lists in the hundreds and 1 hour commutes to get to available schools... Is it as difficult as the articles would lead you to believe?

We haven't fully decided yet on whether we would prefer to send our kids to a German, bi-lingual or international school. Are some types more difficult to find spaces in than others? I have seen older posts on TT, but from what I've heard things have gotten much worse in the last few years.

Both my wife and I speak German and have lived/worked in Germany in the past, so we're quite keen to have our kids experience life in Germany. However, not being able to get our kids into supportive schools would obviously be a deal-breaker...

Thanks in advance for any advice!

2 hours ago, BMcG said:

1 hour commutes to get to available schools

only if you live an hour away from the school.

I think it's hard to find an all day Kita place in most places in Germany. As for school, it's compulsory so as far as I know your neighborhood school must take your kids. There are several other threads here on the German school system. Some like it, some don't. As for finding space in an international school you could contact some and ask. If you find one then get an apartment close to it and your kids will not have a long commute.

When is your smaller kid's birthday?  if up to the end of September then he/she would be on age for school in Berlin.

You will have the advantage of having some priority (because you just arrived to the city) in the Europaschulen (Quentin Blake, Charles Dickens, ...).   I would try to go that way.   And in the meantime teach as much German to your kids as possible.

Reading comments here in TT about the German school system is complicated, there is plenty of negativism mostly from people who didn't put their kids in the public system.  So it is a but ironic.  But it is not a ride in the park, it will be tough for both of your kids.

International schools are expensive, so if your company is willing to pay for it then you should consider it, specially if you do not plan to stay here in the long term.