Looking for tandem-partner in Berlin

6 posts in this topic

Hopefully this is right place for my search, if not, please appologise.

I am German, want to improve my school-English and look for a nativespeaker for conversation. My level is about A2/B1, so I need someone very patient. 

In return I would like to help you learning German.

Please contact me if you want to meet once a week. If our interessts are similar, we also can visit museums, talks in the Urania or others. First we can meet via skype if you want.

Thanks for your feedback, Ricarda

2 hours ago, Malt-Teaser said:

How strange, you want to learn a language whilst riding a bicycle made for two?

Malteaser, tandem learning is a recognised description of what Ricarda is looking for. It means that you don't have to pay for a teacher. The disadvantage is that neither of you are teachers and know what you are doing.:huh:

I actually got a tandem partner (English/Russian) through Toytown and 3 or 4 years later I got contact through skype with my friends in Russia. They said my Russian had improved. No, it's not as fast as taking lessons, but I also got a friendship out of the situation, too. I am an English teacher and I tried at the beginning to "teach" my tandem partner, but she just really wanted conversation, so a tandem can be just the right thing for some people.

Hope the OP finds a good tandem partner.

4 hours ago, Acton said:

Malteaser, tandem learning is a recognised description of what Ricarda is looking for. It means that you don't have to pay for a teacher. The disadvantage is that neither of you are teachers and know what you are doing.:huh:

well, if you have a native speaker for a tandem partner they usually do know what they're doing, in terms of speaking their own language.  If you're a good match, ability-wise, it also gives you a sense of being on equal footing and you're less afraid to make mistakes as there is tangible empathy on both sides.  Plus your partner can correct mistakes or very often give you the word you're looking for in a pinch.

it's the polar opposite of formal teaching, it's purely for practice and confidence building.  For me it had nothing to do with paying or not paying, it was all about being able to practice normal, random conversation, which you rarely get in a formal teaching scenario.

good luck OP!

Hi Ricarda,

I'm looking for a tandem partner at the moment as well! I'm around B2 in German, and native English. I'm a primary school teacher, so very patient ; )

I'll send you a private message!