Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Letter from court for former roommate long gone

12 posts in this topic

An American student lived in my WG but left two years ago. I don t have a forwarding address. When he was here he had put his address as Name C/o Main Tenant (me). A lot of people have lived in this apartment, it s kind of a revolving WG, and usually we just keep the letters in a box. However, this letter is from the court and I don t know what to do with it. Any advice? 

I don't know if he de-registered when he left the city. 

I would be grateful for any advice.

11 minutes ago, RedMidge said:

Just send it back to the court address- whereabouts unknown.

"Empfänger verzogen" ?

1 hour ago, solomongrundy said:

A lot of people have lived in this apartment, it s kind of a revolving WG, and usually we just keep the letters in a box.

You shouldn't keep other people's letters in a box, even if they are not from a court.  They are simply not yours to keep.  If they can't be delivered, they should be returned to sender. 

So what you should do with letters like that is if the person moved, write on them: "Zurück zum Absender. Addressat umgezogen." or if they never lived there in the first place, write: "Zurück zum Absender. Falsche Addresse."  Then drop them in the nearest mailbox.  You don't need stamps.  The post will take care of it.  Stray letters will no longer be your problem and you can free up some space in your apartment where the box full of stray mail used to be.

I agree!

Holding other peoples' letters even can have legal repercussions in Germany.

Send them *all* back. Do it today.

Hey.  What about letters from elderly relatives and friends who are forgetful. My postie here redilivered them to me for years.  Do not be so boring and pedantic.  Can you imagine your mother doing this when you have moved?

7 hours ago, Metall said:

legal repercussions in Germany.

Saying "legal repercussions" in Germany can have legal repercussions in Germany.

Hi,

Thank you so much for the responses. 

More than 10 people have lived here since then. He left in 2017 and we are not sure we have all his letters. Can I just write the adressee is no longer here and send it back or should I also a

add that he left in 2017 and left no forwarding address?  He was a very nice kid and I don t want him to get into trouble. We think that it was because he did not submit some documents that were required for the registration. He did say something like that when he left as he had planned to do it and did not get the time to do that at the last moment. 

I only know that he is somewhere in Los Angeles.

You could also write 
"Empfänger unbekannt verzogen" 
on the envelope. Just to give you an extra option if you have a lot of letters :D