Healthcare after Brexit

10 posts in this topic

I am a British citizen and my wife and I have an AOK health insurance card, being covered by the reciprocal arrangement with the UK which so far has served us well.

I have read somewhere of promises by the German government to ensure that healthcare for people such as ourselves continues to be available after Brexit but despite having searched and searched, I can find no specifics about this. British in Germany appears to be saying nothing - nothing that I can find, anyway. I am unlikely to be able to obtain private cover; therefore this mater is one of extreme concern.

Any information will be gladly received.

I assume that your reference to "the reciprocal arrangement" means you are currently covered by an S1 certificate, in which case the British government pays your AOK premiums.  If your S1 is withdrawn, as seems likely if a no deal Brexit happens, you will need to make alternative arrangements.  As I understand it "the promises made by the German government" refer to making cover available, not paying for it. 

AOK will be prepared to provide you cover.  AOK has provided me this information about premiums here in RLP: 

"Stand heute: Die Beiträge der freiwilligen Versicherung ohne Anspruch auf Krankengeld werden aus einem Mindesteinkommen von 1038,33 EUR berechnet.  Es werden Beiträge zur Kranken- (14,9%) und Pflegeversicherung (3,05% bzw. 3,3% bei Kinderlosen) berechnet.".

I assume that your reference to "the reciprocal arrangement" means you are currently covered by an S1 certificate, in which case the British government pays your AOK premiums.

At the time we first came to Germany my wife (a non-EU citizen now here with a five-year Aufenthaltserlaubnis) and I each had (and have) a European Health Insurance Card. We then obtained an AOK card each. I didn't know the British government actually pays premiums to AOK: I thought they 'just' covered the bills. I assume we thus have an S! certificate

If your S1 is withdrawn, as seems likely if a no deal Brexit happens, you will need to make alternative arrangements. 

I thought the S! is to be withdrawn with or without a deal. Last February, I think it was, AOK wrote to us saying that their cover would be withdrawn on March 31st. As for "what happens next", phone calls to AOK indicated that it was a matter of wait and see (until after Brexit).

As I understand it "the promises made by the German government" refer to making cover available, not paying for it. 

That would be OK. Wouldn't expect more. Don't mind paying 1038.33 each a year, if that's what it would be, The issue is to have continuing cover with or without a Brexit deal.

1 hour ago, popotla said:

That would be OK. Wouldn't expect more. Don't mind paying 1038.33 each a year,

You have misunderstood - these 1038.33€ are the monthly (!) (fictitious) minimum income on which the contributions are calculated. 

This (fictitious) minimum income results in a monthly contribution of € 154.71 for health insurance (including the possible additional contribution ("Zusatzbeitrag"), which varies by the health insurance and is probably set at 0.3% here - 14.6% contribution rate + 0.3% Zusatzbeitrag = 14.9%) plus € 31.66 / € 36.34 for nursing care insurance. 

In total that's 186,37 resp. 191,95€. Per month. Without sickness benefit insurance. 

Someonesdaughter wrote "You have misunderstood - these 1038.33€ are the monthly (!) (fictitious) minimum income on which the contributions are calculated. ". 

I had assumed that word minimum was needed between "the" and "contributions", i.e. those with an income above the minimum don't get away with paying contributions based on the (fictitious) minimum income.  Please, please tell me that I am wrong.  That would be great!

That's the "minimum contribution". Your contribution is based on your income but it's capped. If your income is high enough your monthly contributions can get close to 800 euros.

2 hours ago, starkebogen said:

The OP (and some others)  might take some comfort from this article   https://www.thelocal.de/20190923/massive-let-down-uk-pensioners-in-eu-given-just-six-months-healthcare-cover-in-no-deal-brexit .  It seems that it was announced on Monday (not sure which Monday) that the UK government will cover pensioner's health care costs for six months after a no deal Brexit.

Six months of comfort is not very long. 

18 minutes ago, Smaug said:

Six months of comfort is not very long. 

No, but it's better than nothing and gives people time to decide what's best for them i.e. stay abroad and shop around for the best/cheapest healthcare or possibly return to the UK. It's far from ideal but much better than people needing to get healthcare sorted out on the 1st Nov if Brexit goes ahead on the 31st Oct.