Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

'Insert' symbol in Word

10 posts in this topic

Goodday all,

Are there any clever people around who know whether Word has an 'insert' symbol? I can't find one in the symbol table and if I ask google it just tells me how to place a symbol into a text, which I am quite capable of doing.

Advance thanks for the info.

I'm confused.  If you don't want to insert the symbol as text, how do you want to insert it?  

eta wild guess:  are you trying to insert it into the symbol table since it's not already there?

@mgr Do you mean the editing/proofreading symbol for insert ^? 

To make a classic proofreaders insert symbol.

On a QWERTY keyboard hit Shift-6 to get ^.

Highlight the ^.

Using the subscript toggle “x1” in the Font menu, make it look like this ^.

I'm a MS Word expert but I don't know what you are trying to do. My best guess is what @AlexTr means, that you are trying to insert a "caret" (^).

As an alternative to the Alex's method of insertion, you can also press the Alt-key, then type 94, and let go of the Alt-key. This method works no matter what your keyboard layout, so it works if you are using a German keyboard, which doesn't have a specific key for caret.

@Smaug  This caret is still too high for what a normal proofreader would use in writing. That's why I tried to get it in subscript.

1 hour ago, Smaug said:

so it works if you are using a German keyboard, which doesn't have a specific key for caret.

My Logitech German keyboard has a caret key - on the top row next to numeric 1.  It's ^ without shift and ° with shift.

16 minutes ago, AlexTr said:

@Smaug  This caret is still too high for what a normal proofreader would use in writing. That's why I tried to get it in subscript.

Word provides a way to shift text up or down using the "Advance" field. Are you familiar with it? It takes more steps than using subscript, but it doesn't reduce the size of the character and gives you more control over its position. You can do this for example. I can elaborate on it if you'd like. See the example below.

caret.JPG

2 minutes ago, starkebogen said:

My Logitech German keyboard has a caret key - on the top row next to numeric 1.  It's ^ without shift and ° with shift.

You are right. I have a Logitech keyboard as well and the caret is there. I missed it!

Mornin' all,

My goodness, that's a whole lot more suggestions than I expected! A big THANK YOU to you all - I shall try them out later today.

Cheers for now....

20 hours ago, Smaug said:

you can also press the Alt-key, then type 94.. so it works if you are using a German keyboard,

so do you then type 49 ? :)