Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Trying to exchange drive's licence close to the end of 6 month period

12 posts in this topic

I just had the stupidest thing happen to me. 

I arrived in Germany and registered almost 6 months ago (it's gonna be 6 months next week). I never drove here so I did not know about the 6 month rule, and I never researched because I just didn't think of the licence at all during this past, very hectic 6 months.

I have to travel for work on October 2 to a small town in Italy which is far away, costs a fortune to go by train (not only that my the schedules do not fit me at all) and it's unreachable by bus. I cannot cancel it. I tried to rent a car and there they informed me of the 6 month rule. This was last Tuesday: I did the eye test and the first aid course this week and the translation will be done by Monday, but apparently there is no way I can squeeze in the two exams (theory and practice) plus the 3-week waiting period and get it before Oct. 2. Is there ANY WAY around it? Like an extension or WHATEVER that I could request?

Please try not to be snarky, it's not like I did this on purpose. I just wasn't aware of the 6 month rule and assumed my permit would be valid as long as it wasn't expired and as long as I had a translation.

EDIT: My country does not have any reciprocity arrangement with Germany so I need all the tests.

5 minutes ago, RedMidge said:

As this is work related, why is your employer not paying for the train trip?

Working round the schedules can surely be possible?

They are sending me to a conference, paying for the tickets and accommodation but they don't have budget for the train trip because it is 300+ euro which is absurd. Upon hearing this story they said that they could have lent me the company car and pay for gas, they just didn't know I could drive. 

However, the schedules are really bad and I'd rather not lose a whole day of work just to fit around it.

I found a 15 hour Flix bus that kinda works for me and it's payable for the company, but I wanted to drive :( 

I am aware of how much of an idiot I am for not thinking about this before, but still.

36 minutes ago, snowingagain said:

I am rather surprised by the 300 Euro for the train.    

I am too. But it's like 3 different connections (it's a small town in Italy). I guess that might be the reason?

Why don't you fly to an airport in Italy and rent a car there on your current licence?

The 6 month rule only applies to rentals in Germany.

7 minutes ago, Sir Percy B said:

Why don't you fly to an airport in Italy and rent a car there on your current licence?

Would that work? Wouldn't they demand that by this point I have an EU valid license? If not, then this is actually a brilliant idea.

EDIT: Nevermind, It's actually way more expensive.

12 minutes ago, Sir Percy B said:

The 6 month rule only applies to rentals in Germany.

https://www.easyrentcars.com/locations/countries/car-rental-italy/driving-licence-requirements

Foreigners on short-term visit may rent a car and drive with a valid foreign driver’s license for up to 6 months in Italy. 

All licenses issued in the European Union are accepted. 

Driver's licenses from non-EU countries (except Switzerland) are accepted if you have a visa in your passport and at the time of hire have not been in Europe for longer than 6 months. Longer than that, you need to get a driver's license from an EU country.

Let me make this very clear despite what some German's would like to think, Germany is not the EU.

Your licence is valid in every other EU country but no longer valid in Germany because you are registered as living in Germany and you have been here 6 months or longer.

10 minutes ago, snowingagain said:

Foreigners on short-term visit may rent a car and drive with a valid foreign driver’s license for up to 6 months in Italy. 

Driver's licenses from non-EU countries (except Switzerland) are accepted if you have a visa in your passport and at the time of hire have not been in Europe for longer than 6 months. Longer than that, you need to get a driver's license from an EU 

Source please, that's the first I've heard that. 

Driver licence rules on foreigners are decided at National level not by the EU.

The EU licence was introduced to streamline the system throughout Europe due to the different kinds of formats available in the 28 EU countries.

49 minutes ago, snowingagain said:

https://www.easyrentcars.com/locations/countries/car-rental-italy/driving-licence-requirements

All licenses issued in the European Union are accepted. 

Driver's licenses from non-EU countries (except Switzerland) are accepted if you have a visa in your passport and at the time of hire have not been in Europe for longer than 6 months. Longer than that, you need to get a driver's license from an EU country.

That is not a valid source, you've taken the terms and conditions of some rental company.

By source I meant a valid link to the Italian government of other recognised body not some rental company that can make up the rules as they go along.

If the op wants to rent a car with a reputable rental company then he/she needs a valid licence.

In addition they will also need an IDP, although most rental companies will not ask for this the police, if stopped will.